The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Duncan Keith Suspended 5 Games

The Kassassin Train

I think there are three major factors which should dictate the suspension length:

1) How injured is Sedin and how long is he out for?

2) Keith is not a repeat offender

3) Being that this is a *prime* example of what the NHL is trying to remove from the game, how much of an "example" is Shanny wanting to make out of this incident?

Being that these factors are involved, I see Keith getting anywhere from 3 to 9 games.

The Hawks have 7 games remaining, so won't be surprised if he's suspended for the remainder of the season......gives him a nice little rest before the p/o start. <_<

Then again, his absence could affect the outcome of the games he dosen't play in (his toi is high) and Hawks could drop out of p/o contention...now that would be revenge without having to "kill" any bodies!

I think there are three major factors which should dictate the suspension length:

1) How injured is Sedin and how long is he out for?

2) Keith is not a repeat offender

3) Being that this is a *prime* example of what the NHL is trying to remove from the game, how much of an "example" is Shanny wanting to make out of this incident?

Being that these factors are involved, I see Keith getting anywhere from 3 to 9 games.

It's a nice thought and obviously 17 others agree with your comment, but I've thought this through a lot and there are some major issues with doing something like this... what if it's Alberts that got hit or lappy or someone else not considered so "valuable" to the team, and we say he's injured for the next 2-3 months (meaning the playoffs) it leaves a big loop hole for teams to sit there 4th liners while a team like the hawks are missing one of their #1 defencemen, don't get me wrong ;) I'm not saying they don't deserve to miss him lol I'm just saying something like what your suggesting isn't really possible in my opinion. Not to mention an eye for an eye justice system is a bit flawed in general... what if that's a much more accedental hit to the head (like danny's on Keith for example) suppose Keith goes down for 13 months like Crosby was with bad concussion symptoms, do you suspend Danny for that same length of time because his shoulder rode up Keiths body a bit?). I realize I went at the very extremes of my examples but that was merely to prove point, at the end of the day it's a nice idea but I just don't think it's fathable in the long run.

People always throw out this 'repeat offender' tag and I think this should only be relevant if it's just a bad mis-timed hit. In Keith's case, it was an intentional, premeditated assault on Daniel Sedin. It shouldn't matter if you are a repeat offender or not if you are going out there strictly to injure someone.

Although I think brooks laich's hit on crosby was intentional, you can't prove it and neither can the nhl. On the other hand, Keith's hit on Dan Sedin was definitely deliberate and you can see that with video evidence. Dan Sedin wasn't even moving at high speed so keith can't argue that it was the speed of the game that caused him to mistime his hitting or some bs like that. His elbow came flying up out of nowhere and that's why they will come down on him hard.

Just like this blog says:

http://ranthnovation.blogspot.ca/2012/03/duncan-keith-deserves-suspension-for.html

Keith derserves at minimum, rest of season and first round of playoffs. When Rome hit horton, it was on the fly and 1 second late hit, otherwise it would've been a clean hit. And he got 4 playoff games which according to shannahan is worth 12 games a piece. Also, Rome was playing when the NHL hadn't instituted the head-shot crack down.

Also, like the article says above, what if it was Crosby who's head was targeted like that? Good bye Crosby's career would be over. They have to come down hard, really hard.

Cooke got 10 and the first round for this hit

IMO, keith/sedin + cooke/mcdonough are the same hits. However, the differences are:

-Cooke's long history

-Sedin is injured (I'm pretty sure Mcdonough was fine)

I really think missing the first round is deserving but I just don't see it happening since this hearing was supposed to be over the phone initially.

Archived