The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Daniel Sedin Concussion [Confirmed]

CoreyPerry

Uh, ok then. Feel free to show me how, when compared to other suspensions in the NHL, it was not fair. I'm not asking if you think there should be tougher penalties for head shots and the like that cause injuries, but if it matches the precedent set - particularly the precedent set by Shanahan this year.

Do you seriously expect that Shanahan is just going to get fed up and suddenly throw out a 15-20 game suspension? We don't even know where Daniel is right now, whether he's already back doing light exercise, or still having symptoms, so to say it's the worst thing ever and the world should pay because he could never play again is asinine.

And where did I say that I think they shouldn't penalize more or that Keith's hit wasn't intentional or that there isn't a potential for injury on plays like that? I do love how you completely ignored my point about it being fair when compared to other suspensions this year and that he can't just double/triple/quadruple suspensions without a reason to do so.

All I asked is for you to provide evidence as to why he should have gotten considerably more (saying it clearly should have been 6 games to really hit them hard isn't considerably more, just in case your still confused) based on precedent as far as suspensions in the NHL go, whether you think it's right or not. Instead I got an essay on injury potential, the 'literal avalanche of hard facts' and a scolding me on hyperbole (which was rich after the literal avalanche comment), none of which was what I was talking about to begin with.

If you expected more games considering what has been handed out thus far, you have no one to blame but yourself.

And where did I say that I think they shouldn't penalize more or that Keith's hit wasn't intentional or that there isn't a potential for injury on plays like that? I do love how you completely ignored my point about it being fair when compared to other suspensions this year and that he can't just double/triple/quadruple suspensions without a reason to do so.

Where did you say it? When you spoke of the suspension being "fair". You then further qualified your assumption based on precedence/past hits as some sort of necessary measuring stick, all of which are mutually exclusive to the Keith hit. The only precendent consideration Shanny has to utilize in decisions like this are an offenders previous record of fines and suspensions. Hits are not analyzed comparitively. Each is judged on it's own axiomatic basis, from presented evidence. And even if that weren't true, this hit is so patently obvious there's simply no NEED to compare it to this season's past suspensions.

If they want players to make different choices with their elbows they will need harsher penalties. I don't think Keith changes his game one wit due to this. But perhaps I am wrong and as a career NHL'er with a clean suspension history he is due the benefit of the doubt.

Archived