The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Daniel Sedin Concussion [Confirmed]

CoreyPerry

There will be no time table for his return.... Only Daniel will know when he is feeling better. That is the brutal thing about concussions. One day you feel good, the next you are back to square one with headaches/dizzy/sickness. Look at Backstrom with the Caps.... he was skating the next day and thought he'd be playing the next game and then he missed 3 months. Bourque had just grazed him in the head where as Daniel took a full charged elbow to the head.

Guest Dasein

Seeing as he's had no previous concussions this will either be minor and he'll be back to normal soon or he's going to be out for a long time...

Here's hoping for the former. Get well soon Danny!

hopefully he gets back for the playoffs but at the same time i don't want him to rush it and miss a year like crosby

on a side note i love how this team is playing this was the incident that finally gave every canuck player a back bone and this team will not be pushed around because if you mess with one of them you mess with the entire team

hopefully he gets back for the playoffs but at the same time i don't want him to rush it and miss a year like crosby

on a side note i love how this team is playing this was the incident that finally gave every canuck player a back bone and this team will not be pushed around because if you mess with one of them you mess with the entire team

Guest Dasein

Ok, I don't know if anybody else brought this up, but I've noticed that neither Daniel nor Henrik wear mouthguards when they play. Mouthguards really help prevent a lot of head trauma, especially when you get hit in the jaw like Daniel did. Obviously, what Keith did does not belong in hockey, but those cheap shots happen.

As a precautionary step, if Daniel had been wearing a mouthguard, I think there would have been less damage - though we don't know how bad it really is at this point. If it's only a few days - maybe wearing a mouthguard could have prevented the concussion all together - if it is months - maybe it could have cut down some of that damage.

Anyway, I hope the Sedins start wearing mouthguards. There's really no reason not to.

Ok, I don't know if anybody else brought this up, but I've noticed that neither Daniel nor Henrik wear mouthguards when they play. Mouthguards really help prevent a lot of head trauma, especially when you get hit in the jaw like Daniel did. Obviously, what Keith did does not belong in hockey, but those cheap shots happen.

As a precautionary step, if Daniel had been wearing a mouthguard, I think there would have been less damage - though we don't know how bad it really is at this point. If it's only a few days - maybe wearing a mouthguard could have prevented the concussion all together - if it is months - maybe it could have cut down some of that damage.

Anyway, I hope the Sedins start wearing mouthguards. There's really no reason not to.

Wow....I am so disheartened by all the negative response on tsn ( not sure what I expected) do they not get that Daniel is injured and the reason he is injured is because of a premeditated act? What a sorry state of affairs when the punishment does even come close to fitting the crime and the common response being "karma" or "he is too soft" . I can only hope Daniel will make it through this "bump in the road" without any physical or mental down the road....playoffs or not

I'm pretty sure Nick Backstrom had no previous history of concussions either, but he's taking a long time.

It's really a toss up - Hamhuis had a history of concussions but came back after 3 games last year - Bergeron returned after 2 games in the playoffs and we all know his history with concussions.

Really depends on how Daniel is built for that type of injury - it seems to me the higher skilled players sit out longer (Crosby, Backstrom, Perron) - but that's too small of a sample set to make anything of it.

Also, Keith Ballard hasn't skated, I don't think, since being concussed. People saying that this is for the cap are ridiculous and stupid IMO. So it's really up in the air how long as you say - either minor or he'll miss a long time.

Guest Dasein

That was from 5 days ago, but I remember reading something a while ago that said he started light skating. I can't find a link to that though.

He seems to be back to skating full out though. Last week he had a long on ice session apparently, plus he's been hitting the weights for about 2 weeks.

This is such bad news. I wish there WAS a silver lining. The problem even if Daniel comes back in time for the playoffs......HE JUST HAD A CONCUSSION!.....and they say a second concussion is way more likely after a first. And, I'm no doctor, but it seems like (ie. Crosby) that you are more susceptible the closer you are to coming off one. That could be managable during the season, but we are heading into the playoffs! Another poster hinted at targeting the repeat concussed Toews, what do you think other teams are going to be thinking playing Daniel? Bloody rotten timing as well as a big challenge for Daniel. Get well soon.

The other point is the suspension. What a joke. Its already been repeated but Keith gets to have a rest, work out, I'm sure he can still practice even if he's not allowed to with the team. The bonus is he can stay in tip top shape and stay away from any danger on the ice. He's also free of risking accidental injury if he played those 5 games which happens all the time, blocking a shot, falling awkwardly, a hard (or dirty :mad: ) hit.

No, he'll have a nice two game warm up and he'll be raring to go.

Its obvious Keith should have gotten playoffs games. Shanny could have made a unique ruling that included regular season games and playoff games, even if it was split up so that he still played some more regular season games. But I think what would have been fair if he had to do them straight consecutively would have been 10 games, so that 3 were playoff.

I pray this isn't yet another example of "Canuck Luck" once again, It usually happens just before the playoffs. :(

Archived