The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo, Schneider, Lack

Niners70

lou would wave the NTC for Florida, and FL has the cap space to do it.

(Lou's Mrs is from there and they spend off seasons there)

in return YVR would either want high draft picks, or else a 3 way trade with some good players coming back.

but it would free 6M cap. they would also want to sign a veteran goalie for just in case.

but that is sheer speculating no way of knowing what management priorities are.

besides they're focused on playoffs now, not offseason)

so what is spinarama doing here.

1).There will always be some other younger talented player coming out so that really just seems like a cop out reason. Plus I don't think many people actually think about this scenario more indepth then Schneids is good and cheaper that equals better. Well he only has 1 more RFA year left and then he can hit FA, or more to the point he has leverage and can ask for a lot more money. Do I think it will be 5mill out of the gate no but he could easily demand upwards of 3.5m and our cap starts creeping up again. 2).Plus think about it from an asset management point of view, if we want to move Luongo that means we don't want him and would rather stick with our younger goalies well why does that other team want to give us anything significant. They wouldn't every team would try to low ball us and force our hand. Plus what if we Move Luongo and Schneider starts with Lack backing him up but Lack doesn't fill the hole that Cory left in the backup department then if Schneider gets shaky at all we have no one to back him up legitimately and take some pressure off. 3).People want to just assume if we move Luongo our problems will be solved and off to the cup we go but there is so much more to it than that.

::D Great point, and from a 13 post rookie!

Even Lou himself has a maturity about him this year. I think he learned more than anyone from last year's loss, and subsequent challenge by Schneider.

Long gone are the goalie grave yard days. I for one cannot wait to see what we fetch for Schneider. We are going to get some excellent pieces. And then I cannot wait to read how many people on here throw Luongo under the bus when Lack becomes the back up who could be a number 1 anywhere in the league? All the while still wearing my Luongo Jersey proudly, watching this Canatta kid we just signed light it up in Chicago. Who will be the next Schneider, or do I mean Lack. And 5-7 years from now, Luongo will then and only then be long in the tooth, and will hand the reigns over to this kid. Maybe ... :)

At that point we will all look back and see how Luongo has been instrumental in developing Schneider, Lack and Canatta. Who in turn push Luongo to stay at the top of his game. We might even thank him for the many high end prospects we are going to get through trading Schneider and Lack. Prospects who may end up being centre pieces of our system ? A system that never has to be blown up and start over. Thanks Luongo I'll always have your back Paisano !

At risk of sounding like I'm contradicting myself; the problem wasn't ever Lou not "playing his arse off."

In the past, pressure has got to Lou. game 7 stinker in Chicago, slapshot in from centre ice to give them life in (what was it) game 4), stinkers in Boston after whining that nobody is pumping his tires..." Through last year he was second in league history in save %, despite playing 1/2 his career behind some horrid defences. His career was defined by breaking down in big games (1/2 goal increase in GAA in play-offs, where legends like Roy & Brodeur drop 1/2 a goal and clutch up).

I had just mentioned, separate post (but several times this year) that I see a maturity in Lou we've not seen before. Smiling and relaxed when Boston fans cheered him (sitting in favour of Schneider). His support of Schneids when he went on his run of 7 straight starts. In the past he would have sulked. I believe Lou will be stunning in this years play off's.

A Stanley Cup could cement a HHOF invite, a stinker render him an afterthought in conversations about great goalies. It could re-define his career & I think he's looking forward to it?

^ thats the fact of the matter.

maybe that could motivate him enough to play his ass off for that one extra win.

The reality is both St Louis & Montreal look pretty good for their handling of a similar situation.

Its a great problem! ::D

That's the problem with these kinds of situations though; these young guys all have potential (so does Schneider as a starter) but it's the uncertainty about whether they pan out and whether you've made the right decision. I sure hope management takes their time in making their choice of who to trade; I would not want one of those "Rask for Raycroft, keep Justin Pogge to be the starter" situations that the Leafs were in before when they could have had a young starter for a long time instead of having all those crappy years before Reimer and Gus came in. I'm glad to not be the manager, so much to consider-- how long will Lu still be at top form vs. how many years will Schneider be able to play as the #1 and is the return for him enough to justify moving him? Also, will the guys waiting in the wings, particularly Lack, be able to continue to serve as the pipeline for the future? That's what I'm nervous but excited to find out.

Niners 70...I can hardly believe that you said Lou is instrumental in the development of Schneids and Lack when both are technically superior to Lou and have a much cooler demeaner. Lou was reinvented by Rollie Melanson after he started developing bad habits, Give credit where credit is due !!

lou would wave the NTC for Florida, and FL has the cap space to do it.

(Lou's Mrs is from there and they spend off seasons there)

in return YVR would either want high draft picks, or else a 3 way trade with some good players coming back.

but it would free 6M cap. they would also want to sign a veteran goalie for just in case.

but that is sheer speculating no way of knowing what management priorities are.

besides they're focused on playoffs now, not offseason)

so what is spinarama doing here.

1). Cop out reason? We've had this guy in our system since 08' and every year he's done nothing but improve. Not to mention he's the kind of quality person you don't see come along very often (*cough cough* all you people losing your minds over CH). I'd take CS over any of the other top end young goaltending prospects that have had their day to shine in the NHL to date.

2). For the record, from business point of view, it makes more sense to trade CS because of the return (if they optimize what they get back for him). From a personal point of view, I'd hate to see this guy go. Also, if you've watched any sport talks shows where the analysts have discussed this, many of the ones from the east have said their insiders have told them there's at least three teams that would jump at the chance to land Roberto.

3). Not once was I assuming anything, as a matter of fact, in my post you responded to I believe I said that Roberto being traded was very unlikely. Thanks for stating the obvious that it takes "so much more" to get a Stanley Cup. Thought if you had the best goaltender you could just plug a bunch of pylons on the ice in front and off you go! <_<

1) I don't disagree he is an awesome goaltender but what I was referring to was the mind set of he's younger and talented, like a flavor of the month kind of argument. So I went on to elaborate on why I think there needs to be a little more reasons like return and another solid backup, etc. Wasn't trying to pick on just you.

2) You basically fully agree with me. I'm not hitched to Luongo but merely as I see the situation I see a deal made for Schneids a lot more plausible, both quite clearly have the talent to start for us and continue to make us a threat in the playoffs so either one is fine by me. As for rumors until I see the deal, so and so makes deal for Luongo, I don't believe it. Not saying it won't happen but why sit around and hope/wait for some unknown scenario to unfold.

3) My post quoted yours but merely for the CS is younger/talented reason. Don't take it so personally at the beginning of the sentence you quoted I said "people" as in a vague general term for human beings, more specifically a great deal of canucks fans. Not specifically "Dak72 doesn't seem to realize how to win a cup" or some other such nonsense someone would accuse another poster of. So that is merely a misunderstanding.

The thing that really kills me about all the Schnieder lovers is he has never had the pressure of being the #1 guy and have the huge workload associated with it. That is a make or break it as a number one.

Look at how many goalies that came up, had a good season.......then next year when the team puts the onus on them, they crumble.

Look at Montreal for this as an example. It's happened to them a few times.

I am not saying that Schnieds will fail, I am saying, that he could, and set himself back a year or two.

Just one point.

Why are you writing off Matt Climie? The games I have watched him play in Chicago I thought he was excellent. Although 29, I wouldn't write him off. He is a valuable asset.

Matt Climie......0.923

Eddie Lack......0.926

For what it's worth I would keep Lu if it came to parting with one of them.

i love lou, hes the best goalie we've ever had, hes our man and will be for a long time I have no problem with that. Schneidz love you bud, but you deserve better than being a backup, i am excited to see how high draftpicks we can get for him (1st overall from cbj = nail yakupov :o:o:O)

Archived