The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

3 Scoring Lines Or 2 Scoring + 2 Shutdown Checking Lines ?

jacky_mak

i prefer the two scoring lines and the two defence lines because the scoring guys dont have to score like 5 goals a game to win they could just go with 1, or 2 goals because those defence lines are pretty solid

also the third line also puts up some points up like pahlson i think he has like 5-10 points in like 13 games, and higgins he is a good 2 way forward and always likes to bury his shot top corner, and then hansen this guy has amazing speed and can break the defence going wide (ex.Chicago game)

A better way to look at it is that this team has 3.5 scoring lines (1 through 3 with the 4th as .5) and 3 checking lines (2 through 4). In the playoffs, it will come down to which lines can shut their opponents down and still generate some offense themselves. That is how we got beat by the Bruins' 3rd and 4th lines in the SCF last year.

Our new style is far more sutied to the playoffs. Sure, Cody may have provided slightly more offence during the regular season where teams take nights off. When the playoffs start and everyhting tightens up it's the bangers and crashers that become more important and provide that clutch scoring so yeah I'd way rather have 2 scoring and 2 d lines than 3 and 1. We just need some key contributions from the 3rd and 4th lines.

Before we traded Cody, we had 3 lines that could score. Cody + Hansen + Higgins line was pretty effective to take the offensive pressure off the twins and Kesler line. By that time, we are top 3 teams in terms of offense.

Coincidence or not, after Cody was traded, our offence started to dip big time. The twins went on a long slump (at least by their standard), our offence and PP struggles.

With now Pahlsson as our 3rd line center, we basically become 2 scoring lines + 2 checking lines, our defense maybe a bit better, but our offence drops significantly.

I am not here to complain about the Cody trade or criticize on Pahlsson 's offence, but just wonder which strategy you rather have ? Remember last SCF, we only scored total of 6 or 8 goals in 7 games. Even Henrik said we lost because we didn't score enough, should we be concerning again ? I really hope we could somehow find our scoring touch again real soon, otherwise I will be the one really concerning.

Most of the third line scoring was Hodgson more than his linemates, except for when Higgins was moved down to the 3rd line. I would not have called it a balanced scoring line, and in a playoff situation that line would have been mostly nullified if Hodgson received closer attention from a checker.

I think it is a coincidence regarding any dip in scoring. Hodgson was certainly not providing a lot secondary scoring in the month prior to the trade. The lack of scoring is as a result of the Sedins going into a slump (as you noted). Still having Hodgson would not make up for their scoring funk.

With Pahlsson the team now has to worry less about scoring as many goals.

I prefer this current setting, with two scoring and two checking. Were the Canucks in a position where they had a guy like Kesler (who could skate, score and check) as their 3rd line center, while still having Kesler as their 2nd line center, then that would be ideal. The Canucks did not have that in Hodgson.

Part of the problem with last year's playoffs was Malhotra's injury. If he had been 100% re: his eye injury then the result might have been somewhat different. Kesler would not have had to have taken on the checking/face-off duties and would have been able to concentrate more on offense.

regards,

G.

We were ONE WIN away last season with 2 scoring lines and 2 checking lines. Does anyone remember the 2009 and 2010 playoffs where we had 3 scoring lines (with wellwood as our 3rd line centre) and look how far we got. I'm not saying Hodgson wouldn't have done a better job than welly, but look at all the past stanley cup winners of recent memory. They all had a 3rd line and 3rd line centre that could shut down the opposition (ex. Kelly, Bolland, Staal, Draper, Pahlsson with the Ducks, etc...).

I'm liking our chances more than the beginning of the season.

Before we traded Cody, we had 3 lines that could score. Cody + Hansen + Higgins line was pretty effective to take the offensive pressure off the twins and Kesler line. By that time, we are top 3 teams in terms of offense.

Coincidence or not, after Cody was traded, our offence started to dip big time. The twins went on a long slump (at least by their standard), our offence and PP struggles.

With now Pahlsson as our 3rd line center, we basically become 2 scoring lines + 2 checking lines, our defense maybe a bit better, but our offence drops significantly.

I am not here to complain about the Cody trade or criticize on Pahlsson 's offence, but just wonder which strategy you rather have ? Remember last SCF, we only scored total of 6 or 8 goals in 7 games. Even Henrik said we lost because we didn't score enough, should we be concerning again ? I really hope we could somehow find our scoring touch again real soon, otherwise I will be the one really concerning.

Kinda hard to score when you can't stand in front of the net to screen Thomas. Bruins made it pretty difficult. And as I remember.. we "had" 4 lines rolling last year. Just not all 4 were scoring, only Kesler's line for the most part.

As for "lost a bit of Emotional Capitol with this team, because of the dissapointment of last year and the mayhem this City caused afterwards".. try following this team since day 1, and seeing them lose "3" cups now. 1st was a longshot in '82, but they were one of the favourites in '94, and "the" favourite last year. No riot in '82, but '94 was ugly. Nowhere near as bad as last year, but times have changed.. attitudes have gone to chit.

The loss last year is just a part of life.. life goes on. But to lose enthusiasm because of the idiot rioters.. the team had nothing to do with that, and not everybody was "from here". It wasn't "this city".. it was a handful of ignorant juveniles... losers.

We ARE different from last year... But im not quite sure we're different in a better way. We seem to be lacking a certain 'je ne sais quoi' that could bury teams last year, but this season keeps them dangling with hope to win till the end of games. Too dangerous of a style to play! Our offence has run dry, you cant win if you cant score, no matter how much D & goaltending are important

We ARE different from last year... But im not quite sure we're different in a better way. We seem to be lacking a certain 'je ne sais quoi' that could bury teams last year, but this season keeps them dangling with hope to win till the end of games. Too dangerous of a style to play! Our offence has run dry, you cant win if you cant score, no matter how much D & goaltending are important

It is what it is. Our roster is our roster. Get your jerseys on, stock up on beer, and lets get behind these boys full force. What happened last year is irrelevant. It's a new season with new players and a new approach.

We should be thankful we have another Playoff run to look forward to. Imagine being a Leafs fan?

Archived