The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why Low-Scoring Games Mean We Will Win The Cup

bassboy4

Many seem to be worried about this Canucks team's lack of 4-0 wins in recent weeks. While it's certainly exciting to watch, I think the fact that we are winning low-scoring, tight- checking games is an excellent sign, and gives me confidence that we can return to the Final, and make good on the second chance.

Thinking back to last year's playoffs, most of our wins were one-goal, low-scoring affairs. On the other hand, our memorable losses were more like self-destruction (7-2 and 5-0 vs. Chicago; 8-1, 4-0, 5-2 and 4-0 vs. Boston). The one game where we ran up the score was Game 2 against San Jose, and that was due to our PP having 3 consecutive 5-on-3's. Playoff hockey tends to take on a tight, low-scoring form, and for this team, it seems to be the only way we win in the post-season. Conclusion: low-scoring games = Canucks win; High-scoring games = Canucks lose.

Next, consider that many of the teams we have beaten 1-0 and 2-1 recently have been teams fighting for the playoffs. That means that these games have been the closest thing in the regular season to a playoff atmosphere. So, if this has been our playoff warm-up, we've been passing with flying colors.

Vigneault likes to play chess-master with the other coach, and lately, it's been working - give the other team virtually nothing, capitalize on opponent's mistakes. This team is built to pick opponents apart and win by checking them into the ground and burying whatever chance presents itself.

Lastly, a word about goaltending. I firmly believe that the lopsided losses from last year's playoffs we're due mostly to the departure from the tight-checking style which makes us successful. Think about when Chicago began marching into our zone as a 5-man group in Game 4 - we started backing up and they made us pay. Same thing in Boston, when they were able to take all the energy of their building and use it to spread us out. (Think, how many other times have you seen Brad Marchand skate coast-to-coast through 3 players like that? Sure, he can play, but only got that opportunity because he caught us backing up).

All that to say, I don't think any of the lopsided losses are primarily the fault of Luongo. (I say primarily, because obviously he does let in some softies. But so does every other goalie. Dan Cloutier, anyone?). But the REAL reason for letting in 7 or 8 goals is that we begin to give the other team the center of the ice. The real issue is the 5 skaters in front of Luongo, not he himself. And as long as we perpetuate the lie that Luongo is the issue with the Canucks, we're helping the other teams win.

That's my two cents - I think THIS is the year. We've been playing playoff hockey to perfection in the last 4 games. Don't be worried. We aren't going to win any 4-0 games in the playoffs. We don't have to. We need to grind out 16 2-1 victories and the cup will be ours. Somebody, name a team that we can't win 2-1 against?

Yeah, I thought so.

While I agree with much of the sentiment you iterate throughout your post, and being able to win tight-checking 1-0 games is a good determinant of how we will do come April-June, as a fan of the "new" NHL and the more up-tempo style of play, I will not enjoy the games as much as the 4-3, 3-1 type of wins.

That being said however, I'm Machiavellian in my philosophy as I'm sure many fans are - I don't care how it happens, I just want a CUP.

When your all-star forwards go scoreless for a long, long time, there is no CHOICE but to pray for low-scoring games.

Don't kid yourselves. If these guys don't find a way to score, and quick, then we are going NOWHERE.

What's ironic now is that AV's system under Nonis is now back in full force and applauded. I'm not a fan of Nonis, but it is ironic that we're cheering pretty much the same product that we booed before. Cheers.

TOML

Although I do agree that a this tight checking, low scoring style can equal playoff success I think that the team still needs to fully commit to playing this style if it wants to do it successfully. What I mean is if we want to play this grind it out, shut em down defensive style game, we need to be much better in our own end with turnovers and clearing the zone and we also need to minimize the other teams quality scoring chances and shot totals( which I don't think we have done very well so far).

Yes our goaltending has been great and is gonna have to be if we have any chance of winning a cup this year but we cant rely solely on it to win games like we have the last stretch here. We need to literally give the opposition nothing and capitalize on our chances and in order to play this style effectively instead of just capitalizing on our chances like we are now.

When your all-star forwards go scoreless for a long, long time, there is no CHOICE but to pray for low-scoring games.

Don't kid yourselves. If these guys don't find a way to score, and quick, then we are going NOWHERE.

What's ironic now is that AV's system under Nonis is now back in full force and applauded. I'm not a fan of Nonis, but it is ironic that we're cheering pretty much the same product that we booed before. Cheers.

TOML

Although I do agree that a this tight checking, low scoring style can equal playoff success I think that the team still needs to fully commit to playing this style if it wants to do it successfully. What I mean is if we want to play this grind it out, shut em down defensive style game, we need to be much better in our own end with turnovers and clearing the zone and we also need to minimize the other teams quality scoring chances and shot totals( which I don't think we have done very well so far).

Yes our goaltending has been great and is gonna have to be if we have any chance of winning a cup this year but we cant rely solely on it to win games like we have the last stretch here. We need to literally give the opposition nothing and capitalize on our chances and in order to play this style effectively instead of just capitalizing on our chances like we are now.

I agree that low scoring games prepare us for the playoffs and better suit the new NHL style of play, especially in the playoffs. I especially like that you said blaming Luongo for the losses helps the other teams win because it doesn't address the real issue. But does it guarantee us the Cup? No. There are other good teams out there and it will be a battle no matter what.

as long as we get the 16W's in the playoffs i dont really care how we do it. I find low scoring games a lot more exciting and stressful as i'm always in a panic when the play goes to our end haha. But thats what makes them so good. We can win 5-1, 7-0, 1-0, 2-1..... i dont care. Lets just get the 16 and im happy :)

The defence was crap in the games we got blown out, so were the forwards, PRODUCING ZERO GOALS.

Remember how our scoring was dry in the finals? Do we want that to happen again, no, we only bang in one or two goals and that is not enough because well our goalies have been unreal as of late, but we wont get 16 straight games allowing zero, one or two goals. We need scoring to pick up and if you say no, then your crazy. A team can easily come back and score one goal.

While I agree with much of the sentiment you iterate throughout your post, and being able to win tight-checking 1-0 games is a good determinant of how we will do come April-June, as a fan of the "new" NHL and the more up-tempo style of play, I will not enjoy the games as much as the 4-3, 3-1 type of wins.

That being said however, I'm Machiavellian in my philosophy as I'm sure many fans are - I don't care how it happens, I just want a CUP.

Archived