The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I Thought The Hodgson Trade Was Suppose To Make Us Better For The Playoffs

ccc44

The number of people calling CoHo a bust compared to the number of people calling Kassian a bust right now is like a 1:10 ratio. The comparison is not even close. Also, CoHo was a draft pick, we didn't have to trade a proven player for him.

Even in 2009, people could see CoHo being a future captain. He was leadership material because he was captain 3 times in his hockey career. The guy was smart, calm, and composed. In some ways, he was like Hank, except he can score. The downside is that he isn't very physical, but that means he takes little penalties.

This team have been underperforming well before the trade deadline. Scrapping out wins here and there but our goalies had to steal a lot of the games.

Second line has been a disappointment which makes the Hodgson trade look pretty bad. I liked who we picked up but I didn't expect him to be a huge factor this year. Kassian does have a great skill set and a different dimension. People forget that he's only 21.

Keep in mind that the team last year but with the same core was an offensive juggernaut and Cody was a non-factor.

One of the reasons he wanted to get traded was because his coach called him out suggesting he was faking an injury that turned out to be pretty bad. The funny thing is now that coach will likely be fired anyways.

But, just because he might have wanted to eventually be traded he wasn't demanding an immediate trade and he had absolutely no leverage on the Canucks to force one.

Kassian does nothing with next to nothing ice-time. If the kid got 10 minutes, his confidence would go up and he'd play well. I am so entirely baffled why AV benches him all the time. When you are new to a system, playing a perfect game or else your benched is waaaaaay too much pressure.

If Hodgson was here, we'd have a much better chance of generating 1 or 2 extra goals, and that would have been more than enough difference in these close games already. Instead we're stuck with Kassian doing jack squat now, no matter how great of a player he will be in the future.

Pahlsson was Hodgson's replacement. I don't think some people seem to understand that.

Pahlsson has 1 goal in 3 games. Do you really think Hodgson would have more than that, while being a solid faceoff guy and penalty killer? Probably not.

Hodgson wouldn't likely be a difference maker right now, sorry.

Pahlsson was Hodgson's replacement. I don't think some people seem to understand that.

Pahlsson has 1 goal in 3 games. Do you really think Hodgson would have more than that, while being a solid faceoff guy and penalty killer? Probably not.

Hodgson wouldn't likely be a difference maker right now, sorry.

Is Pahlsson any kind of an offensive threat on the PP, when it's the best chance the score? No, he's not even on it. Enough difference there already, just having him being able to gain the zone.

We've got plenty of depth centres for faceoffs and depth plugs from our 6th best PK to kill penalties.

For people who say Hodgson wouldn't make a difference because the team is playing bad anyways, then by that argument Daniel or any single player can't make a massive difference, but of course every player still makes a little difference, and it all adds up.

Mike Gillis in his own words said the trade was for the immediate needs of the team. In that sense, the trade was a bust. I guess if you don't care about the winning the cup this year, but some number of years down the road when Kassian finally develops into a better player, I guess the trade can be a good thing.

So, Hodgson was at about a .5 PPG pace during the regular season, and now all of a sudden he would have become a point per game player in the playoffs? No, sorry.

I don't care how much of a threat he would have been on our 2nd powerplay unit, it's unreasonable to think that he would have more than a point or two at this point.

Pahlsson is doing everything he's expected to do at this point. It's players like Hansen, Higgins, and Raymond that need to step it up on the third line.

The Hodgson trade put a huge rock in front of our orginization if we wanted to trade Kesler.

Who's going to replace him? You have to trade for a centerman now. If we had kept Hodgson, he could simply replace the 2nd line center position. He obviously wouldn't be ready, but give him a year or two..

Archived