Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Cory Schneider Starts Game 3

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
204 replies to this topic

#91 canucks.girl1

canucks.girl1

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:51 PM

No, Gamasutra is correct. Luongo has not been as good as people are claiming. Regardless of how bad the D has been, .891 save percentage is not good enough at all.

I am not saying he has been phenomenal but he has been the most consistent player the Canucks have had in the past 2 games. If it wasn't for him LA would have scored a lot more.

Edited by canucks.girl1, 15 April 2012 - 01:52 PM.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#92 vwnuck

vwnuck

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:52 PM

and lets hope AV has also banned drop passes.

Lu clearly wasn't the problem but Go Schneids!!

\

i am also a bit surprised by this.. as luo has been stellar in the first 2 games... i would have kept going with luo...but i am not the coach soo...but luo definitely was not the problem in both games..

Posted Image

Posted Image

#93 Vlas=d

Vlas=d

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:54 PM

doesnt matter who is in goal if the canucks play like they have in the first 2 games

#94 vwnuck

vwnuck

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:54 PM

i also think i would have sat eldler out for this one... put rome or alberts in... cause edler has been the cause of a lot of the kings goals so far...

Posted Image

Posted Image

#95 Spectacular

Spectacular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:57 PM

This. We've made Quick look better than he is. He really hasn't had to make any outstanding saves. Personally, I take the stats on both goaltenders with a grain of salt.

Agreed. It's one of those scenarios where you have to watch the game to see gauge the performances of both goalies rather than stats. Luongo has made the much bigger saves and in my opinion has been the better goaltender. The Nucks are taking perimeter shots and not driving the net enough to make Quick's life miserable.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#96 Kesler_smash

Kesler_smash

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:58 PM

i also think i would have sat eldler out for this one... put rome or alberts in... cause edler has been the cause of a lot of the kings goals so far...

I'm not saying you're wrong but I just don't see the coaching staff benching Edler for Rome or Alberts. Edler has definitely made a few super costly mistakes but if he plays well his upside is exponentially more than Rome or Alberts.

Edited by Kesler_smash, 15 April 2012 - 01:59 PM.

#97 vwnuck

vwnuck

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:00 PM

I'm not saying you're wrong but I just don't see the coaching staff benching Edler for Rome or Alberts. Edler has definitely made a few super costly mistakes but if he plays well his upside is exponentially more than Rome or Alberts.

agreed he just has not looked good at all

Posted Image

Posted Image

#98 Argon

Argon

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:06 PM

I don't get it... when Lu imploded in other years, they refused to switch.

Now that Luongo is one of the few guys that isn't a problem, he's out and Schneider is in? Don't get me wrong, I love Schneider, but that just doesn't make sense to me... :huh:

Gillis didn't trade Schneider at the deadline for players/picks, and if the Canucks get knocked out in the 1st round without playing him, there'd be a HUGE uproar over it. it's a safe move that covers everyone's asses
Posted Image

Yo Yo you cant see me anyway what i dont need to writing skills to act cool i got froobacks and steel chains to act cool i lead the new school. Iam untochable this wont be a fight ill walk away with your mic and make you suck your own tailpipe

#99 bluesman60

bluesman60

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:06 PM

I am happy that Schneider gets a chance to turn this around. Maybe now the team will respond.
Luongo wasn't the reason for the 2 losses but I sure wish he would stop doing that belly flop like on the 2nd goal. When you put yourself in that position, you have no options if your defense don't clear the loose puck or the bodies from in front.

#100 Riggs

Riggs

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:09 PM

This start for Schneider in no way should be viewed as a criticism of Luongo's play thus far. His stats aren't stellar but the team in front of him has been absolutely horrendous in front of him. He has been their best player throughout the first 2 games of this series but he can't be expected to score goals at the other end. The Canucks are doing what they did in the regular season: you lose a few games so you switch your goaltender and hope your team wakes up and realizes they are the reason this had to be done.

The Canucks need to stop putting unneccessary pressure on themselves by giving up boneheaded shorthanded goals. They were easily the better team at 5-on-5 in Game 2 but basically gave the game to the Kings with that embarassing excuse for a powerplay. I was going through game logs for Vancouver over the past year and it's amazing how many times their powerplay bailed them out with even a single goal. If Brown can figure out a way to counter the Kings' pressure on their PK, this series can be turned around in a hurry.

Zack Kassian is the Chosen One. Bring back the Torres Turbo Diesel.
ryanwho.jpg
Yannick Weber's bazooka slapshot is a pure WMD. First unit PP, please.

#101 NucksPatsFan

NucksPatsFan

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,842 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:13 PM

I love this decision. As terrific as Luongo has been, the team plays better in front of Schneider. Luongo has stood on his head (except Brown's goal) but the team just wasn't playing inspired play off hockey in front of him. Starting Schneider is a wake up call to the Canucks. Hockey is a team sport and the TEAM plays better in front of Schneider.

#102 CrippledCanuck

CrippledCanuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:16 PM

I don't get it... when Lu imploded in other years, they refused to switch.

Now that Luongo is one of the few guys that isn't a problem, he's out and Schneider is in? Don't get me wrong, I love Schneider, but that just doesn't make sense to me... :huh:

Even though it was not a Lu implosion losses like that can wear on you, they may just be giving him some time to clear his head. Reason they didnt do it last year was they were not as confident in schneids as they are this year.....imo. He has proven now he can beat tough teams in tight situations so why not show you have confidence in him and let him play. it also probably dosent hurt that if he does some good in the playoffs it just further showcases/ups his worth to potential teams that may want him come offseason.

#103 ssir_78

ssir_78

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:18 PM

Luongo has a 0.891 save % in playoffs, good for 16/17 out of all goaltenders. How has he been great?

Maybe you should watch the games and not just the highlights on TSn

#104 Canuckfan1968

Canuckfan1968

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

If you ask me the team seems to score more when schnieder is in net ,maybe that is the reason for the change. Schnieder also plays very well on the road he is composed and they need to shake things up. The team also seems to protect much better in front of the young goalie, his control of rebounds and puck handling skills are above that of loungo's. Sure loungo makes big saves and flashes the glove that's all fine, but having control is much more of a advantage.

#105 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,204 posts

I feel bad for Schneider. This is the Canucks most important game all year long, a definite must-win and probably the 3rd most important game played by this team in the last 2 seasons considering the fact that if LA wins we're in the impossible 3-0 hole. Hopefully Schneider isn't too rusty to go.
Posted Image

#106 stawns

stawns

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,895 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:20 PM

while I don't think Luongo has been the cause of the flop by the Canucks, he hasn't been the goalie many here are portraying him to be. He's made some good saves, for sure, but he's also let in a few stinkers, and his poor save % is pretty telling. He could have easily stolen both those games if he was as stellar as many here are making him out to be.........Quick, on the other hand, has been stellar, and his stats back that up.

Luongo, again, has been outplayed by the goalie at the the other end of the rink.

If Schneids steals one tonight, that could well be the end of Luongo in vancouver

Edited by stawns, 15 April 2012 - 02:21 PM.

#107 Merci

Merci

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:20 PM

Perfect way to showcase Schneider for Columbus,

Ryan Murray just got called up to the WHC and he's 19.

Can't wait to get him.

Keslerific, on 25 May 2014 - 4:47 PM, said:

Gaunce is wayy cooler though, Gaunce is the kind of guy you want to bring with you to Costco

vPTJpcO.jpg

#108 VanCityScout

VanCityScout

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:21 PM

get used to it :towel:

#109 hockeyfan90

hockeyfan90

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:24 PM

luongo has played well can't blame him on the both loss, but he hasn't made those key saves when the team really needed. So this is a good decision to put schneider in and spark the team somewhat. Definitely not blaming luongo for the losses as the team has been so bad, but he still has to outplay the other goalie no matter what and has not done so. Let's hope this change can give the canucks the spark they need.

PS: Whatever you do schneids, please don't control the puck when your out of your crease. Remember what happened last year...

Edited by hockeyfan90, 15 April 2012 - 02:26 PM.

#110 Burnsey

Burnsey

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:24 PM

Pittbsurgh probably wishes they had a backup to go to. Stanley cup favorites about to get swept because of shaky goaltending.

ya because Luongo clearly didnt show up to play game 1 and 2.....oh wait he did. It was the rest of the team that has been asleep.

team-canada-jarome-iginla-photo.jpg

#111 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,489 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:26 PM

Gee...and what do you Pro Schneider fans think of Luongo compared to Fleury? 18 goals (and counting)
against in 3 games.

Edited by Heretic, 15 April 2012 - 02:27 PM.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#112 CowtownCanuck

CowtownCanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:26 PM

As someone who isn't a fan luongo, I even question this decision. He definately wasn't the problem in games 1 and 2, I would only fault him for "taking a nap" as my father put it on one goal in game two. Game one we tried to be the Bruins in the wrong round and game two the tem fell apart.

That being said, the team plays different in front of Scneids, so maybe this is what we need tonight.

#113 fagin

fagin

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:27 PM

It's all about igniting a spark. this is not a discussion of which goalie is better or if the team plays better in front of either, it's all about changing it up because SOMETHING is clearly not working.

...Then the obvious move would be to have Kesler and Edler watching the game also.And maybe Bieksa.

#114 Dittohead

Dittohead

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,190 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:27 PM

Good Move, Pittsburg should of done that.. he's allowed 18 goals so far.... yet we hear nothing Luongo lets in1 and its end of world.

#115 hockeyfan90

hockeyfan90

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:28 PM

...Then the obvious move would be to have Kesler and Edler watching the game also.And maybe Bieksa.

you can't sit them out in the playoffs

#116 Mclean1

Mclean1

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:32 PM

I dont agree with this move at all...I think Lu and Jansen have been the only guys on this team to show up.What I dont understand is how come no one bitchs about where is Henrik or Kesler.This team sucks against top goalies, their offence goes awol i.e. last years finals vs thomas.This move is a totally worthless move.If the powerplay and the captain don't show up along side Kesler this team is done.Goaltending was not the issue.If this was Naslund era he would be thrown to peices on this forum.In the playoffs you need a captain who can lead by example i.e. Dustin Brown.The teams who have a Captain who stands up end up playing for the cup.

Edited by Mclean1, 15 April 2012 - 02:32 PM.

#117 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:33 PM

They NEED to play, and they NEED to play well. The goaltending change will wake them up without severely hamstringing our roster as you suggest.
PSN: CloakOfSkill

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists somewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

It bugs me when people pull out the gold medal for an example... Luongo only had to outplay Brodeur.

#118 Canuckfan1968

Canuckfan1968

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:33 PM

why do people get so defensive when there is a goalie change. Give it a break its to shake the team up and put another element into the mix we all know that the team plays and protects well in front of cory so why not use him. Cory has played very well this year he deserves a shot so stop feeling sorry for loungo. Remember its a team game, win as a team lose as a team.

#119 DoItForRaymond

DoItForRaymond

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:34 PM

Maybe AV went on to CDC last night and this morning and followed our opinions

LMAO you must be insane. Anyways, if Schneider and the Canucks pull out a Victory, do we run with Schneid's? I Just don't want to loose momentum if we get a spark with Schneid's in net!!

#120 Mclean1

Mclean1

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:36 PM

why do people get so defensive when there is a goalie change. Give it a break its to shake the team up and put another element into the mix we all know that the team plays and protects well in front of cory so why not use him. Cory has played very well this year he deserves a shot so stop feeling sorry for loungo. Remember its a team game, win as a team lose as a team.

I won't have a problem if Lu was the issue, he isn't the issue.Thats y I have a problem.There pp and offence is the issue.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.