Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * - - - 8 votes

What Has Gillis Really Done For This Franchise?

• Please log in to reply
234 replies to this topic

#31 Canucksbiggestfan

Canucksbiggestfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:41 PM

I am no longer a Gillis supporter and want him run out of town. Get the **** out of here.

Can't wait to see his ass get canned.

I want you run out of town, YOU GTFO!
Can't wait till you leave.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#32 gradin123

gradin123

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:43 PM

He created a team that took us to the SCF, what else?

And lost! There is no trophy for Stanley Cup losers. Sutter brought Calgary to the Stanley Cup Final as a GM in Calgary. Was he a good GM?

#33 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,905 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:43 PM

How is Malhotra not there under the epic fail category?

2.5m faceoff guy who has hands of stone, liability 5 on 5.. but apparently, he's good in the locker room so i guess that makes up for it. :rolleyes:

I dont care if he's tops in faceoffs, a 4th liner shouldnt be making that money unless his name is Chris Neil.

#34 Thunder Bunnies

Thunder Bunnies

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:44 PM

Grabner - at the time wouldn't have had the chances to play top-six role like he did with Islanders
Sundin - bad signing? He made our core guys better players and the players they are today
Ballard - it may look bad now, but at the time our D was extremely weak, this was before Hamhuis signing
Booth - you call this a negative? We completely ripped off Florida. We got rid of a terrible signing in Sturm
Mitchell - technically we tried to sign him, he wanted more. And if we did re-sign him, Hamhuis wouldn't be here

#35 six-0h-four-

six-0h-four-

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Thank you, Captain Hindsight.

I totally agree with him. Using the "hindsight" blast shows that your opinion doesn't even matter. It's Gillis' job to make good choices to make the team better. When you can count the good on one hand, and the bad is in double digits, there may be an issue to say the least.

Although I don't agree with some of what he deemed bad, (ie. Booth) GM's get fired for having bad "hindsight". How many bad "hindsight" moves had Detroit made?
Follow me @CurtisEastman on Twitter.

#36 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,905 posts

And lost! There is no trophy for Stanley Cup losers. Sutter brought Calgary to the Stanley Cup Final as a GM in Calgary. Was he a good GM?

He was a coach back in 04....

#37 shazzam

shazzam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,416 posts

wasn't he the coach...

or was he both the coach and GM

can't remember

#38 coolcat13

coolcat13

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,179 posts

This idiot was trying to pay 20m for Sundin. Enough said.

#39 gradin123

gradin123

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:46 PM

He got us 2 President's Trophies, what else?

WOW! Presidents Trophies! Every kids dreams. He had two of the best players in Canucks history handed to him and he hasn't found the supporting cast to help them win the cup yet.

#40 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,256 posts

Vancouver was/is more physical than Boston based on individual hits throughout the regular season this year and last. Vancouver also outhit Boston back in January; they beat them at 'their own game'. It's a common misperception.

I agree with this but look at it like this. Who would you rather get hit by, Dan Hamhuis or Chara? Alex Burrows or Milan Lucic?

It's more about quality over quantity and the intimidation factor.

#41 gradin123

gradin123

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

2.5m faceoff guy who has hands of stone, liability 5 on 5.. but apparently, he's good in the locker room so i guess that makes up for it. :rolleyes:

I dont care if he's tops in faceoffs, a 4th liner shouldnt be making that money unless his name is Chris Neil.

I don't count it because he clearly isn't the same player after the eye injury.

#42 peanutflower

peanutflower

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:47 PM

Gillis getting the executive of the year last season was the biggest joke I have ever seen.

Lets recap Gillis's major contributuons so far.

Good

-Trading for Ehrhoff.
-Signing of Hamhuis.
-Trading for Higgins and LaPierre
-Re-Signing of Burrows at a discount.
-Signing of Tanev

Negative

-Re-Signing of Luongo to longterm contract after his first playoff meltdown against Chicago
-Trading Of Michael Grabner (and hence commitment to Mason Raymond) and a first round Pick(Howden) for a Ballard and his bad contract
-Trading for David Booth and his bad contract
-Trading Cody Hodgson/Sulzer for Zack Kassian/Grags.
-Signing of Marco Sturm
-Not attempting to re-sign Willie Mitchell who you almost certainly would have re-signed here at a discount if the Canucks showed any interest in him.
-not one of his draft picks is playing in the NHL besides Cody Hodgson.
-signing of Mats Sundin
-trading a 2nd round pick for Steve Bernier
-trading a 3rd round pick for Andrew Alberts

He's done more than you.

#43 gradin123

gradin123

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:47 PM

wasn't he the coach...

or was he both the coach and GM

can't remember

Both. It was his first year as GM.

#44 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:48 PM

I think it's actually 2.75m. I think this is the last year of his deal. He won't be back.

#45 ace_blazer

ace_blazer

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:52 PM

Every year I felt like this team was just getting better and better. The results supported this.

And now? For some reason this year just felt like a step backwards.

Edited by ace_blazer, 15 April 2012 - 11:52 PM.

Posted Image

#46 gradin123

gradin123

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:55 PM

I totally agree with him. Using the "hindsight" blast shows that your opinion doesn't even matter. It's Gillis' job to make good choices to make the team better. When you can count the good on one hand, and the bad is in double digits, there may be an issue to say the least.

Although I don't agree with some of what he deemed bad, (ie. Booth) GM's get fired for having bad "hindsight". How many bad "hindsight" moves had Detroit made?

Hindsight? I just listed what he has done. Good and Bad.

#47 Tits J. McGee

Tits J. McGee

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:57 PM

Some thoughts without reading all the posts:

-Sundin wasn't a bad move. Gillis had the cap space, there wasn't many great free agents that year. He didn't want to trade away assets, so he basically offered up all the cap space he had left to make it a deal Sundin couldn't refuse. Pretty simple really. And then some was left on the table. Gillis could have added another player at the deadline.

-I miss Sammuelson. He seemed to "get" the playoffs... Maybe we need to snipe ex-detroit players.

-Torres. This I don't get. Gillis talks about adding toughness. Torres was the toughest guy on our roster last year. He WAS that perfect guy. Played like a pit bull/ human wrecking ball and SCORED GOALS. Not like the other guys we acquire that only play 5 mins. He actually played. I don't usually like guys that ride that line of dirty, but he played his role to a key. And gillis let him walk.
All Work And No Play Makes Jack A Dull Boy. All Work And No Play Makes Jack A Dull Boy. All Work And No Play Makes Jack A Dull Boy. All Work And No Play Makes Jack A Dull Boy. All Work And No Play Makes Jack A Dull Boy. All Work And No Play Makes Jack A Dull Boy. All Work And No Play Makes Jack A Dull Boy. All Work And No Play Makes Jack A Dull Boy. All Work And No Play Makes Jack A Dull Boy. All Work And No Play Makes Jack A Dull Boy. All Work And No Play Makes Jack A Dull Boy. All Work And No Play Makes Jack A Dull Boy. All Work And No Play Makes Jack A Dull Boy. All Work And No Play Makes Jack A Dull Boy. All Work And No Play Makes Jack A Dull Boy. All Work And No Play Makes Jack A Dull Boy. All Work And No Play Makes Jack A Dull Boy. All Work And No Play Makes Jack A Dull Boy.

#48 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,180 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:59 PM

I didn't like this deal for one massive reason: HE HAS TWO PLAYOFF GOALS and ZERO ASSISTS in 32 games.

But idiots will have you believe that it's not necessary for depth players to chip in from time to time.
Posted Image

#49 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:04 AM

BAD:

AV

/thread
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#50 prana16

prana16

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:05 AM

Grabner - at the time wouldn't have had the chances to play top-six role like he did with Islanders

Why? bad coaching and player management is why.

Ballard - it may look bad now, but at the time our D was extremely weak, this was before Hamhuis signing

we traded away a goal scorer (notice how we are having trouble scoring goals) for a D (whom i like) that the coach won't play regularly or in key situations.

Booth - you call this a negative? We completely ripped off Florida.
We got rid of a terrible signing in Sturm

Well thats kind of the point isn't it. why in the hell did they sign sturm over say torres or giving shirokov a chance.

This team has trouble scoring in games that matter yet in the last three years we've shipped out all of our offensive prospects (two calder candidates)... grabner, shirokov and hodgson for virtually nothing. Neither of those three trades has helped this team. even samuelson, booth is just not getting it done for 4.5 million. 4.5 million for ballard who doesn't play.

I was big on team MG but his moves since last offseason to this trade deadline have all been horrible. not one has turned out. With hodgson being the worst.. .stuck behind two star centers eh??? which two "stars" would that be? Sedins got shut down last year, kesler is not a 40 goal guy yet instead of bolstering our offense or defense we ship out prospects for nothing. When we see next year that kesler still only gets 20 goals and the twins begin to decline in points and effectiveness (already not that effective when it matters) we'll see that an up and coming center wouldn't have needed to wait for five years to get his shot.
We are stuck with booth who has turned out to be raymond but without the falling down. We have no good assets left to trade other than cory yet we should be keeping him rather than the 32 year old that he has better numbers than.
MG better hope that he can dump a contract or two and that atleast one top 6 and/or one top d free agent wants to sign here. We have no prospect depth anymore and only a goalie to trade.

#51 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,905 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:09 AM

I didn't like this deal for one massive reason: HE HAS TWO PLAYOFF GOALS and ZERO ASSISTS in 32 games.

But idiots will have you believe that it's not necessary for depth players to chip in from time to time.

I didnt like the singning from day 1 and never changed my opionion of it till today.

Funny how the Malhotra supporters who called me a hater all season long for pointing this out are nowhere to be seen now.

The same old defence "he's great in the locker room" "hes a leader" blah blah.. Being great in the locker room does not win you games. Give me a prick like Pronger (just example) I dont care aslong as he produces in the playoffs.

#52 TheEhrhoffEffect

TheEhrhoffEffect

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,120 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:10 AM

Definitely the most overrated Canucks GM of all-time. If the Canucks give him another shot in the offseason, he better make it count.

#53 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,905 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:11 AM

I think it's actually 2.75m. I think this is the last year of his deal. He won't be back.

Unless MG buys him out or ask him to waive his NTC, he will be back because he has 1 more year left in his contract.

#54 bureNGO

bureNGO

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

We would've won the cup if I was the GM. Gillis has a lot of questionable moves like ballard, luongo, kassian, raymond. This team is soft as pudding, no toughness. My roster would've been like this, a team that would actually have each others back. It's all about size and toughness in todays nhl.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Simmonds-Kesler-Morrow
Higgins-Neil-Brouwer
Hansen-Moen-Asham
Ex. Rupp, Kostopolous

Weber-Hamhuis
Bieska-Mitchell
Gil-Sutton
Rome

Schneider
Clemmensen

#55 gradin123

gradin123

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Why? bad coaching and player management is why.

we traded away a goal scorer (notice how we are having trouble scoring goals) for a D (whom i like) that the coach won't play regularly or in key situations.

Well thats kind of the point isn't it. why in the hell did they sign sturm over say torres or giving shirokov a chance.

This team has trouble scoring in games that matter yet in the last three years we've shipped out all of our offensive prospects (two calder candidates)... grabner, shirokov and hodgson for virtually nothing. Neither of those three trades has helped this team. even samuelson, booth is just not getting it done for 4.5 million. 4.5 million for ballard who doesn't play.

I was big on team MG but his moves since last offseason to this trade deadline have all been horrible. not one has turned out. With hodgson being the worst.. .stuck behind two star centers eh??? which two "stars" would that be? Sedins got shut down last year, kesler is not a 40 goal guy yet instead of bolstering our offense or defense we ship out prospects for nothing. When we see next year that kesler still only gets 20 goals and the twins begin to decline in points and effectiveness (already not that effective when it matters) we'll see that an up and coming center wouldn't have needed to wait for five years to get his shot.
We are stuck with booth who has turned out to be raymond but without the falling down. We have no good assets left to trade other than cory yet we should be keeping him rather than the 32 year old that he has better numbers than.
MG better hope that he can dump a contract or two and that atleast one top 6 and/or one top d free agent wants to sign here. We have no prospect depth anymore and only a goalie to trade.

Pretty much bang on. We have the second worst ranked minor league system in the NHL and honestly I don't think the Canucks can get that much in trade for Schneider when he is likely to start getting $4.5 Million per next season.

I do think Jansen has potential but Gillis will probably trade him away too.

#56 NUCKS4CUP 28

NUCKS4CUP 28

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,348 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:13 AM

We would've won the cup if I was the GM. Gillis has a lot of questionable moves like ballard, luongo, kassian, raymond. This team is soft as pudding, no toughness. My roster would've been like this, a team that would actually have each others back. It's all about size and toughness in todays nhl.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Simmonds-Kesler-Morrow
Higgins-Neil-Brouwer
Hansen-Moen-Asham
Ex. Rupp, Kostopolous

Weber-Hamhuis
Bieska-Mitchell
Gil-Sutton
Rome

Schneider
Clemmensen

Lol @ this guy who thinks he knows how to be a GM.
Posted Image

Believe in bLUOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

#57 Mr X

Mr X

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,894 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:21 AM

Sundin - bad signing? He made our core guys better players and the players they are today
Booth - you call this a negative? We completely ripped off Florida. We got rid of a terrible signing in Sturm
Mitchell - technically we tried to sign him, he wanted more. And if we did re-sign him, Hamhuis wouldn't be here

Booth has been terrible since he's been here. He's probably legitimately played 10-15 really solid games all season. Potentially his 3 worst in the playoffs. His contract is BRUTAL. Samuelsson was a proven playoff performer, scored like 6 goals the last time they played the Kings. Sure, the trade looked good on paper, but it's another one that hasn't worked out. You can defend the "logic" behind trades all you want, but if they don't pan out, then you have to question whoever is making the decisions.

Kassian is absolutely awful too by the way, not sure how this trade helped the "win now" or even the "win later philosophy".

#58 Charlie.Sheen

Charlie.Sheen

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:41 AM

Lol @ this guy who thinks he knows how to be a GM.

Lol stick to your NHL 12 franchise fantasies

#59 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,569 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:49 AM

Gillis getting the executive of the year last season was the biggest joke I have ever seen.

Lets recap Gillis's major contributuons so far.

Good

-Trading for Ehrhoff.
-Signing of Hamhuis.
-Trading for Higgins and LaPierre
-Re-Signing of Burrows at a discount.
-Signing of Tanev

Negative

-Re-Signing of Luongo to longterm contract after his first playoff meltdown against Chicago
-Trading Of Michael Grabner (and hence commitment to Mason Raymond) and a first round Pick(Howden) for a Ballard and his bad contract
-Trading for David Booth and his bad contract
-Trading Cody Hodgson/Sulzer for Zack Kassian/Grags.
-Signing of Marco Sturm
-Not attempting to re-sign Willie Mitchell who you almost certainly would have re-signed here at a discount if the Canucks showed any interest in him.
-not one of his draft picks is playing in the NHL besides Cody Hodgson.
-signing of Mats Sundin
-trading a 2nd round pick for Steve Bernier
-trading a 3rd round pick for Andrew Alberts

good stuff. Gillis inherited a championship caliber team and surrounded it with finesse and minor irritants instead of muscle/character. The Luongo contract, the Luongo goalie/captain fiasco, the courtship of Mats Sundin, and the Backes offer -sheet were all stumble bum moves.

I've hated the guy from day one.

th_1435408476_c985b0ec75_zps489544ad.jpg

#60 Columbo

Columbo

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,901 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:52 AM

If Sundin had accepted that original 2-year $20-million deal, our team would be screwed. The Sedins would be playing in Toronto or New York right now. That was definitely the biggest mistake he almost made.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.