The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why Is There So Much Hate Towards Luongo

Nic JF

Yet when the games really count, his SV% and GAA swirl the drain.

The ONLY year he's had elite level stats in the post season while playing for Vancouver was 06'07 and we all remember that as the year this team played the trap tighter than Jaques Lemaires G-string.

That year he had a .941% and 1.77GAA which is outstanding

In the 4 years since (including this year) ?

.903 SV% and 2.97GAA

Those stats are no longer anomalous. I don't care how good he has been in his career during the regular season. He has demonstrated very clearly that he has trouble playing when it matters.

But hey.. I guess I'm just a stupid fan. :rolleyes:

He is a great regular season goalie. Clearly one of the best ever. When the 2nd season starts though, it's another story, and you've seen it too so don't play dumb about it.

Schneider is the reason i want lou moved, if we didnt have schneider, lou would be our guy, but a younger goalie whose just as good and we developed in our system, people are naturally going to choose the cheaper, younger option.

Who knows what he can do for the franchise in the future as he continues to improve.

He is a lunqdvist rinne potential type game stealer.

Yet when the games really count, his SV% and GAA swirl the drain.

The ONLY year he's had elite level stats in the post season while playing for Vancouver was 06'07 and we all remember that as the year this team played the trap tighter than Jaques Lemaires G-string.

That year he had a .941% and 1.77GAA which is outstanding

In the 4 years since (including this year) ?

.903 SV% and 2.97GAA

Those stats are no longer anomalous. I don't care how good he has been in his career during the regular season. He has demonstrated very clearly that he has trouble playing when it matters.

But hey.. I guess I'm just a stupid fan. :rolleyes:

He is a great regular season goalie. Clearly one of the best ever. When the 2nd season starts though, it's another story, and you've seen it too so don't play dumb about it.

It depends how we get eliminated with Schneider in net?

On a night were we faced elimation for the 1st time this season, Schneider allows 1 goal on 44 shots. Now that is goaltending. It's funny how you are happy if we lose cause we keep Luongo and we can stop blaming him. We can still blame him for the 2 loses because he allowed 7 goals on those 2 games.

I dont hate Lu..I just think Schneider is a better goaltender. I also like the way Schneids presents himself better, in an interview how can you not love Schneids? He's great and he takes responsibility if he does something bad, hes not afraid to laugh and say he's not the greatest at puck handling. Ask Lu that question and you'll get 500 ums and something about its a team game, it drives me crazy how he rarely ever accepts any responsibility.

And tonight, Schneids was the difference maker, i definitely believe luongo would have allowed more goals, and not have stopped the penalty shot. Schneids gave us a great opportunity to win tonight. Even if we end up losing the series I wont blame Schneids, he's been great and has a tendency not to implode under pressure. I think we can really pull off this comeback with him though, tbh. =)

I stopped reading after that, how can you possibly put it 100% on the goalie when the team scored 0 GOALS!

Luongo was the only reason we went to 7 in the finals, we averaged 1.14 goals a game

Schneider is not necessarily better than Luongo, is he a very good goalie? of course, but also for whatever reason the team PLAYS better in front of him so that's a big part of why they go with him. Even Taylor, Garrett and Valk can't figure out why they play so much better in front of him but the fact is they do.

Everyone expects us to win with Lu but the fact is we need goals to win. No goals, no wins regardless on what Lu stands to make the saves.

Also let's not forget where the team would have been without Lu...

You know what sucks the most-- how he "may" be going out. He played SO well the last two games-- hell, he played pretty great this season. But, the fact that he got "penalized" because of the poor play of the team infront of him and be replaced by Schneider and now this talk of the torch being passed, the evolution of the goalie situation in Vancouver etc.. I think thats what sucks. He plays great and he wasn't the reason we lost the 2 games and he STILL gets the short end of the stick. You gotta feel for the guy.

(If anyone watchs FNL-- its kind of like the Saracen and JD McCoy situation)

Archived