The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Let This Be A Lesson To All Of Us.

VoiceOfReason_

I've noticed a rather large smugness in the air this season. Both from the players, management and fans.

It was almost like we all thought we would waltz our way back in to the Stanley Cup finals. Like it was owed to us. Why should teams even bother dressing?

Most fans were wondering who we were going to face in the Western conference finals even before the playoffs had started. Some even asked who would get the cup after Henrik had his chance to hoist it. We were so quick to talk about our depth. Leading the league in scoring while having the least amount of goals scored on us.

The teams/players rhetoric was clear. We only care about playing once we get to the playoffs. Hell, they even had Michele Buble practising with them! Meh, it's just practice. Real superstars. Photo shoots? Why not. They players drank the most kool-aid.

Management even decide to out duel Toronto for the most pre-game ceremonies! One every Saturday! Let's celebrate something every damn week.

Maybe next year the players, fans and management should shut up and play every game like it meant something and not take act like we deserve something, because in sports it's a very thin like btwn confidence and arrogance and I believe every facet of our team, players and fans showed that. Including me.

A real humbling exit this is.

Hmmm interesting. I dont think it was like we were owed another chance at the cup, I think it was that anything less is a huge disappointment every year now that we have seen it. The fans expected domination again, and we actually got the opposite. Yes a lot of people were arrogant, but every fan base has those. We just seem to have overflowing fans everywhere, trolling other teams cities. Lol

The bigger lesson to me is that a year makes a real difference even if you have a lot of the same players that took you to the final.

What a load of crap.

There's no sense of entitlement within the majority of our support. The level of expectation was high but anyone with any common sense didn't expect us to steamroll our way back to the SCF without a challenge.

Disappointing end to a disappointing season (Feels weird to say that when you have a President's Trophy, but you know what I mean).

OP - I believe you're referring to that nauseating "Sense of Entitlement" that is the hallmark of BANDWAGONERS - not true fans. It seems we're plagued with more than our share of bandwagoners out here. oh well...

Anyone with at least half a brain knows that in the playoffs nothing is a given, and any team not playing like a team and giving it everything they've got, will be dropped like a bad habit. But most bandwagoners fail the 'half a brain' test, and remain clueless about many things, not just hockey.

it's wild enough to have a president's trophy team that still needs changes, but there IS some upside here - doing a face-plant like this guarantees changes - not least being the bandwagoners, like rats, will be leaving this ship. But they don't know it's not sinking, we're just in some rough seas...

Suter said it best - the Canucks were caught looking forward, and weren't focussing on the process or playing in the moment.

I expect the Canucks to pull a Philadelphia - not necessarily reconstruct their core, but take a year off to understand and realise what just hapenned, then have a huge playoffs next season.

Agree with this thread, all the critical people on here were told to shut up, support our players, stop being so negative, your never satisfied ect... Some of us were even called out for saying we may loose to the kings, we were called bandwagon fans.

Alot of us supposed negative people are extremely passionate and cheer for the team, not individual players, and we were negative because we seen a team not living up to its potential and has been in trouble for awhile.

Suter said it best - the Canucks were caught looking forward, and weren't focussing on the process or playing in the moment.

I expect the Canucks to pull a Philadelphia - not necessarily reconstruct their core, but take a year off to understand and realise what just hapenned, then have a huge playoffs next season.

Agreed, but this is why I think we need a coach whose harder on our players. He called kesler out once and kesler put him in his place, if he was playing for sutter it would have been handled differently. Edler, bieksa, have been making mistakes for awhile now, you never seen them benched or having to work for there ice time or be punished for mistakes that simply continued.

Raymond did not loose the series but look how raymond would get scratched one single game and then was put on the 1st line. He even bumped higgins off the 2nd who was red hot outproducing him and raymond had went goal-less. Some of the things he did just sent a bad message to players. No matter how hard you work, as long as your in his good books, you will be taken care of.

Agree with this thread, all the critical people on here were told to shut up, support our players, stop being so negative, your never satisfied ect... Some of us were even called out for saying we may loose to the kings, we were called bandwagon fans.

Alot of us supposed negative people are extremely passionate and cheer for the team, not individual players, and we were negative because we seen a team not living up to its potential and has been in trouble for awhile.

I think the irony is that the Canuck fans who abuse of their fellow fans...

You know, the ones who cant discern between critique and bashing; the guys who always (and I mean always) scream at the top of their lungs that we are the most terrible fans of all time.

They are the ones who truly damage the reputation of our fan base for the simple reason that they are abusive towards anyone who says something negative about our team.

This, from my topic in May.............seems to foretell your findings.

/user/76755-bodee/">Bodee

Canucks Regular

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:23 PM

star_big.png

POPULAR

..............than this.

Come on boys, have you no pride? We should be pounding these lesser lights. Every game should be played like a SC final. People have paid, many have saved up to pay for a ticket to see the Vancouver Canucks, not a practice pace shadow of the great team we know you are.

Motivation? None should be needed you are wearing the jersey. (However you are also making more in a year than most of your fans earn in a lifetime)

Stop treating these games like rehearsals or you will find you can't get it up on opening night.

Being winners, is not a tap to be turned on and off when the mood takes you. It is a state of mind borne out of habit and driven by pride.

This, from my topic in May.............seems to foretell your findings.

/user/76755-bodee/">Bodee

Canucks Regular

625]

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:23 PM

star_big.png

POPULAR

..............than this.

Come on boys, have you no pride? We should be pounding these lesser lights. Every game should be played like a SC final. People have paid, many have saved up to pay for a ticket to see the Vancouver Canucks, not a practice pace shadow of the great team we know you are.

Motivation? None should be needed you are wearing the jersey. (However you are also making more in a year than most of your fans earn in a lifetime)

Stop treating these games like rehearsals or you will find you can't get it up on opening night.

Being winners, is not a tap to be turned on and off when the mood takes you. It is a state of mind borne out of habit and driven by pride.

Call it what you want, we just got our butts handed to us big time by the 8th seed team in the West. Thank god it wasn't Calgary in the 8th spot. If it wasn't for our Goaltending we would have been swept by a large margin. I could have taken a 7 game tough fought series, but we just got tooled.

Archived