The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Interesting Comments By David Booth On Twitter Today

luongo.is.god

David probably should stop being so cerebral and focused on paying the price to win games. I saw zero effort from him, (7 shots, 1 assist , -1) in five game ? :blink: Yeah L.A. is good but In the end they just wanted it more and were willing to pay the price.

I believe the Canucks beat themselves and truly, deeply in the back of their minds they didn't want to go through the effort they did last year to possibly lose again.

There was no reference whatsoever to Christianity in that speech. I don't have a problem with DB making it either. All year, you (we) complain about the media dumping on our team, then when someone (DB) posts what he did, you jump on him. I think he's right. It's easy to sit at home, criticizing the moves that MG makes, the players AV plays, and everything every player does. It is NOT so easy to be the ones out there, actually playing the game.

Our team may have lost in the playoffs, but they did give us a great season overall. And, as someone pointed out above, the sun still rose this morning.

Guest BuckFoston

I agree that technically the players don't owe anybody anything, except maybe they owe putting in the effort for their coach and teammates - but by the same token I, as a fan, don't owe them anything either. Some people just can't afford the sky high prices for the tickets and fan gear, I can, but decided to spend my money elsewhere this year after witnessing some very sub-par hockey. If people were actually smart enough, they would do the same. Those that go to hockey games and later complain about the price have the option not to go. And maybe if enough people actually followed through on their anger, the team could feel the wrath and play a few games in a mostly empty arena. Then they would see that maybe they do need us as much as we need them and that this relationship goes both ways. This is why Toronto pisses me off so much, always complaining about the team and yet every game is sold out. Well then, you get what you pay for.

As for Booth and his tweets, it's clear they can rub people the wrong way, but talking about how hockey player careers cannot be compared to other jobs and are oh so hard and we just can't understand what it's like, blah blah - listen, it's a sport - it requires unparalleled physical fitness and discipline. It is hard on the body, it causes injuries. It also pays a lot of money. I enjoy it and respect it, but don't act like it's something more important than doctors, scientists, engineers or teachers who get paid squat all for carrying our future on their shoulders. I am sorry but professional sports doesn't compare. He is paid 4.5 mil to win hockey games and my old man got paid 35,000 to teach 150 teenagers every day. And when his job was on the line he sure as hell wasn't sitting around quoting Teddy Roosevelt.

Booth quoted Theodore Roosevelt on twitter today, as seen below:

s31vd.jpg

ZCM9C.jpg

TD3jp.jpg

tbls2.jpg

W2CRw.jpg

FpRJZ.jpg

https://twitter.com/#!/D_Booth7

As harsh as it may sound, he speaks the truth. It's easy for us to make accusations, analyze, and dissect this team from the sidelines, but we'll never really know what it actually takes to get the job done on the ice. It sucks being a cold, timid soul lol. He's probably gonna take some flak for this though

I was trying all day to keep my temper under wraps and then he tweeted that and I fricken blew up! Started swearing and the whole works lol

I don't like his attitude. Stop being philosophical about defeat. Reality is he's being paid $4.25 million to do a job and he didn't do it. He didn't even come close to doing it. Quoting the Bible or famous figures isn't going to help justify his play and lack of effort.

I can understand that sometimes in life we can do all we want and we still won't get a desired result. I'm a hockey player too and there have been times where I've poured my heart and soul into a game or season or tournament and, when we lost, it devastated me.

But there has to be an accountability and a recognition of what went wrong. Booth doesn't seem to be overly hard on himself for failures. He just chalks it up to "the will of God". I'm not ok with a guy making that much money being satisfied to pass off blame to a higher authority

/end rant.........wow that felt good

Booth seems like a bit of a flake. I don't think he has what it takes to be a winner.

I was really disappointed when he was going through a slump and, in trying to put everything in perspective, he comes up with something like, "hockey doesn't define me as a person". Screw that, you're getting paid over 4 million dollars a year to represent this team and I should hope you'd realize that ,yes, hockey does define you.

People with maturity are out in full force tonight. I compared my career to his --- where exactly? I stated both careers were under public scrutiny, which is accurate. When any person accepts a career which is under constant public scrutiny, you have to think long and hard about what that means - and if you're up for the challenge.

Also, this whole 'real fan', 'fake fan' stuff is pretty funny. A person can offer constructive criticism, but they aren't a real fan? So if my parents tell me my car is ugly, they must hate me? Please. This is real life here.

Quoting the Bible or famous figures isn't going to help justify his play. He just chalks it up to "the will of God". I'm not ok with a guy making that much money being satisfied to pass off blame to a higher authority

First of all, "he" doesn't speak the truth. He's co-opting the words of others, words, by the way, used in the harsh circumstances of war and attrition, not the glorified millionaires' club which is the NHL players' communion.

Second of all, of course we don't know what it takes. But then, we don't get paid $4 million to find out. Booth doesn't know what it takes, either, since he has his $$ and is able to play golf and work out during the next 4 months. Wish I had all that time off.

Thirdly, the critic DOES count. It's often the critics who hold the so-called "doers" to a higher level, to accountability.

So bite me, Booth. You didn't earn your money this year. Use the off-season to learn how to play within a team concept. Apparently, 5 1/2 months during the regular season and playoff wasn't enough.

Archived