The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I Hate To Admit It But I'm Starting To Agree With Don Cherry...

NuckZin2011

he is definitely right about the plastic cup elbow pads. They are wepons, plus with less padding on, players are less likely to hit as hard as they do.

I also think some of the recent rule changes like eliminating the red line as far as 2 line passes go has gone alittle sideways on the league. The game at that point speed up a bit and now players are skating through the neutral zone so fast with thier heads down waiting for suicide passes. If we could just go back too the early 80's rule book, all would be well again. This would also bring back the instigator call, however, you still need someone too blow the whistle.

he is definitely right about the plastic cup elbow pads. They are wepons, plus with less padding on, players are less likely to hit as hard as they do.

I also think some of the recent rule changes like eliminating the red line as far as 2 line passes go has gone alittle sideways on the league. The game at that point speed up a bit and now players are skating through the neutral zone so fast with thier heads down waiting for suicide passes. If we could just go back too the early 80's rule book, all would be well again. This would also bring back the instigator call, however, you still need someone too blow the whistle.

I agreed with Don when he first brought it up, the manufacturers of the equipmant are using cevlar for the pads, the military uses that stuff for flak jackets and the combat helmets!!

Honestly that is just a little bit of over kill don't you think. if a player getts elbowed in the head you might as well be hitting him with a hammer!

Not a huge fan of Ron and Don but they do every so often come up with some valid arguments and topics, I think that it is time for the league to look into the materials they use for "player protection"!

Good Post

Been saying this for months get the ARMOUR off the ice, old leather pads stuffed with horse hair will put an end to this insanity..."BALLS"

However with all the money that these equipment companies have put into developing this crap, no doubt will put a stop to any company doing the right thing.

Grapes also said that in his day, the Brown hit on Henrik would have been considered cheap and guys would have gone after Brown for it.

In other words, the biggest problem with these hits is that they are PREDATORY. Guys are actually trying to hurt each other, which wasn't always the case. Most of the time, guys would get a warning or two about keeping their heads up or admiring their passes before someone would really lay into them.

We talk about Scott Stevens, and you know what? He never was the same physical force after he hit Ron Francis in a playoff game and Francis was left doing the chicken on the ice. Scott realized what he was doing was wrong a full decade before the rest of the league caught up to it.

It's the attitude and lack of respect that has to change first.

Solution....build a head pad and they can all look like skating transformers out there.

Seriously, yes I agree with Don. When players played without face visors, players didn't stick a stick in a guys face because they knew that they could take the guys eye out. Another thing was that there was always a Dave Semenko there to take your head off if you did something like that.....on ice accountability.....they didn't need a 'Shanahammer' back then.

Another thing that has changed is that you used to see teams not playing their stars at all during the last 10 games of the season because they didn't want them injured by a cheap shot plus they wanted them fresh when the puck dropped in game 1 of the playoffs.

It seems to me that there are serious attempts to take out a star player from the opposition just preceding the playoffs. eg Keiths head shot on Daniel Sedin

Maybe that is Bettmans front office forcing teams to play the stars with little regard for the consequences of a team having their playoff run sabatoged.

I would not want to see the players go back to taking the visor off but I sure would like to see them respect each other more than they do now.

If they need to wear armour, it's no longer a game.

I think they should get rid of the hard equipment, and go back to playing.

I don't like Cherry either, but he does have the right idea on the equipment.

Hopefully, Shanny will make an example of a 'star' player. That is ALL that will make THEM take notice and behave out there.

Something about hockey is just more violent than other sports. I played football since pewee all the way up till I was 21. It's a physical, very high contact game. Players are big, heavily padded and fast. However there is no schinnanigans like there is in hockey. There's no post whistle BS, no fighting, no shoves, not even trash talking. A lot comes from structure, you are always playing on a clock, you don't have time to start **** after a play or you are penalized, the mildest push or punch is penalized, excessive talk is penalized. Retaliation or repeat fouls have you ejected from a game, possibly more. Also, something different from hockey, players accept contact without having to swallow their pride. If a player is on the bad side of a crushing hit, they are usually helped to their feet by the opposing player and compliment them on the play. There's a certain respect between players and teams. Ofcourse there are exceptions, though rare and they are dealt with rather severely. BTW im not one against a clean fight. Just some differences i've noticed in other physical sports i've played.

first thing's first.. the $2500 fine was only that much because players dont get paid in the playoffs and thats the max amount in their CBA. dont like that? then get a seat on the NHLPA and re-negotiate...

Secondly, pads these days ARE ridiculous. mainly just elbow pads though. Most guys wont wear the "flak" armor any more as they lose mobility.. That said, pads should be exactly that. PADS. not shells.

There is also a lot to be said for the accountability of the players who GET hit. I remember i learned wayyy back in atom to :

1. keep your head up

2. be careful cutting into the middle

3. dont admire your pass or you'll pay for it

4. KNOW WHO IS ON THE ICE AGAINST YOU

I'd say about 50% of the injuries are avoidable if those 4 points are followed. The other 50% are from dirty plays/players.

And as for the Torres suspension.. they didnt suspend him 25 games for just that hit alone. They set an example for players like him. He plays on the edge, and has crossed the line on hits on numerous occasions. It's much like the Matt Cooke suspension. He's played great AND clean since that suspension. Hopefully the same goes for Raffi

Another point Grapes makes is "accountability". Basically, back in the day, if you hit a star or ran anybody, you knew that someone on the ice was going to beat your ass. Guys definately take liberties these days because they won't be held accountable on the ice. Would Keith have laid that elbow on Danny if he knew somebody was going to pound on his face?... Nope. It happens over and over, stars get run and nobody beats the crap out of the offender, just a fine and suspension.. Ouch, hit 'em where it hurts: in the wallet?! These guys are loaded, fines and suspensions don't work.

Guest BuckFoston

Instead of trying your hardest to be a d*ck why don't you just tell the man how to edit titles?

(you have to use full editor btw)

first thing's first.. the $2500 fine was only that much because players dont get paid in the playoffs and thats the max amount in their CBA. dont like that? then get a seat on the NHLPA and re-negotiate...

Secondly, pads these days ARE ridiculous. mainly just elbow pads though. Most guys wont wear the "flak" armor any more as they lose mobility.. That said, pads should be exactly that. PADS. not shells.

There is also a lot to be said for the accountability of the players who GET hit. I remember i learned wayyy back in atom to :

1. keep your head up

2. be careful cutting into the middle

3. dont admire your pass or you'll pay for it

4. KNOW WHO IS ON THE ICE AGAINST YOU

I'd say about 50% of the injuries are avoidable if those 4 points are followed. The other 50% are from dirty plays/players.

And as for the Torres suspension.. they didnt suspend him 25 games for just that hit alone. They set an example for players like him. He plays on the edge, and has crossed the line on hits on numerous occasions. It's much like the Matt Cooke suspension. He's played great AND clean since that suspension. Hopefully the same goes for Raffi

Oh now woh.. he had stats to back him up on the visor issue about Europeans and French-Canadians. I've been watching European hockey a little while, they aren't as physical as North Americans and that's their hockey culture. The man supports the troops and police officers who gave their lives for their fellow Canadians. There is nothing wrong with paying tribute to those people. If you do, it's time to think about moving to another country instead of living in the security that these people provide for you.

I'll bite.

I wasn't talking about solely the visor issue, but his racism towards French-Canadian and European players in general. On the point of military, this has no place in my HOCKEY program. Don Cherry is paid to talk about hockey, I don't care what this buffoon has to say about Canada's foreign policy. It's also cheap patriotism which is not always, or even usually a good thing. Finally, those same soldier that you say ensure my security as Canadian citizen have actually made Canada a more dangerous place to be since they invaded Afghanistan. Do you think Canada was on anyone's list of places to attack before that war? And what about now? I could go on, but I'll leave it at that.

The easy fix would be to reduce the size of shoulder pads and elbow pads.

Better to have an injured shoulder than give someone a concussion for the rest of their career.

Archived