The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Debunking The Roberto Luongo Myths

JustNazzy

I was a big fan of Cloutier. It is also forgotten that he was injured a lot and then he was hiding injuries and trying to play through them instead of taking needed time off. He was a really solid goaltender for a few years there. He never got his confidence back after the dreaded Lidstrom goal.

He was great in the EA NHL series, better than Luongo is in the game anyway. For some reason, no matter how high his rating, he's terrible in the game. ;)

The only graveyard was during the Burke days when he kept bringing in backup goalies and trying to make them a number one goalie in the league. Of course when they didn't pan out Burke blamed the media rather than his own incompetence in what goaltender he chose. One thing Burke was great for was the press conferences like the Goalie Graveyard one!

We all hope that and it should be a hoot watching it all unfold. I worry about his mental toughness that the last year and a half put on him and now with him not saying he's happy here for long term might have some adverse effects with media etc.

Then throw in the pressure of trying to be number 1 for Team Canada, new coach that Lunquist didn't get along with, and the rest of the team that is that much older from the glory days of a couple seasons ago and it might be hard for him to regain it all.

I really wonder about the goalie coach and his relationship with Lui as the last couple seasons have shown way more off games than Lui ever had before. Or maybe he is just more like a Gigure type goalie and is starting to fizzle out earlier in his career than others.

I don't believe there is chemistry between Lou and Rollie. Lou had an amazing 2010-11 season when he implemented the changes Rollie advocated but Lou reverted to his old (read Allaire) style in the playoffs and showed inconsistency . The next season, other than carrying his catching glove higher, he reverted once again to his old style and his stats suffered. The stats don't lie and Lou needs to recognize where his success lies, he needs to become more patient , position himself deeper in the net in order to improve his lateral movement and ability to effectively seal off the bottom of the net and use his size better. Lou has shown that he can do it but needs to embrace the changes, otherwise, his vulnerabilities will be exploited as has been happening.

There definitely is a difference on the glove side now, he used to be unbeatable on that side. And whatever changed in his career with him now falling forward on breakaways or shootouts, something changed with the groin injury that still lingers maybe or just a part of the injury that he is stuck with now.

The only graveyard was during the Burke days when he kept bringing in backup goalies and trying to make them a number one goalie in the league. Of course when they didn't pan out Burke blamed the media rather than his own incompetence in what goaltender he chose. One thing Burke was great for was the press conferences like the Goalie Graveyard one!

Thank you.

The whole graveyard talk was just Burke BS that people constantly regurgitate now when someone criticizes a Canucks goalie. Of course Vancouver will be a goalie graveyard when the only goalies we have are second or third string, until somewhat recently that is.

I will never forgive Burke for coining that stupid phrase, he dug the first bunch of graves on his own.

Thank you.

The whole graveyard talk was just Burke BS that people constantly regurgitate now when someone criticizes a Canucks goalie. Of course Vancouver will be a goalie graveyard when the only goalies we have are second or third string, until somewhat recently that is.

I will never forgive Burke for coining that stupid phrase, he dug the first bunch of graves on his own.

What do you mean, was this not a group of grade A starting goalies? Arturs Irbe, Sean Burke, Garth Snow, Corey Hirsch, Kevin Weekes, Felix Potvin, Corey Schwab, Alfie Michaud, Bob Essensa, Dan Cloutier, Alex Auld, Martin Brochu and Peter Skudra. That was four years!!!

I was happy when he signed Potvin, was hoping he would regain his former game. Hopeful when they signed Cloutier as he was highly regarded in junior. Good times!

Clouts was very consistent until Rob Niedermayer ran him in 05-06.

Everyone remembers the Lidstrom centre ice goal, but anyone who actually thought the Canucks would put that Red Wings team down even after going up 2-0 is nuts. There's a reason they went on to win the Cup.

Clouts was very consistent until Rob Niedermayer ran him in 05-06.

Everyone remembers the Lidstrom centre ice goal, but anyone who actually thought the Canucks would put that Red Wings team down even after going up 2-0 is nuts. There's a reason they went on to win the Cup.

Archived