The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gary Roberts Calls Mike Gillis A 'moron' For Comments About Hodgson

yes we can nucks

I think it was absolutely necessary for him to make those comments. How many times was his decision questioned? After a while it's time to answer the questions which is what he did. The media asks him the questions over and over again. The fan base lambastes him over and over again for the trade. etc etc etc. He absolutely had to answer as to why he made the move he made so that he could be accountable. I don't think he needs to get in detail which he didn't.

It seems high road Hodgson found somebody to take the low road for him. At least he confirmed what Gillis said though when he said he went through a lot when he was here. Sounds like GIllis was right; he did have to deal with more stuff from CoHo than the rest of the team combined. High road? I think not.

It was a bad relationship from start to finish it seems.

Gillis shoud'nt have said it. That being said he did say "every OTHER player combined", which is true in legal terms, as half of the players had no issues.

What he should have said is "our doctors messed up his diagnosis, and he was smart to seek another doctor on the advice of Gary Roberts. We wish him all the best in his future.", and leave it at that.

Instead, he made Hodgson out to sound like either a mental case or a prima-donna, which is a low blow, and in the end only shows Gillis to be dishonest, and bordering on slanderous, not admitting any failures at all on the organization whatsoever.

i was hoping kass would be able to train with roberts over the summer... but after gillis's comments and gary's outrage, i don't think he'll take on any more canucks. good thing tanev already got his foot in the door. sucks for the rest of our players though.

Just another example of how this organization mismanages its talent.

Go back to the day they drafted Hodgson. When Gillis was asked why they drafted a small centre that can't skate very well, his answer was to laud Cody's character.

So what changed?

On top of everything he went through with his back, look at last season from his perspective. The team gets into the playoffs, and they can't score. 15 goals in 7 games against Chicago. 14 goals in 6 games against the Preds. Then they get into the Final against the Bruins, Ryan Kesler is so banged he clearly shouldn't even be on the ice, and Cody is till being used as a fourth liner.

Then the next season begins. Kesler isn't in the lineup to start the year, and Cody is rarely being used on the second line, and when he is, it's as a second line winger.

Kesler comes back, struggles to produce, and Cody still isn't seeing an increase in his ice-time, despite the fact that he's on a 45 point pace with an average of about 13 minutes a game.

This is one of the reasons why good prospects cringe inside when the Canucks draft them. They simply don't know how develop and manage good young talent.

Mike Gillis.......the April 30/2012 CDC Whipping Boy...........

So when we're finished working our way through the team roster right down to the stick boys WBL (whipping boy list)......do we just start at the top and work our way down again or work from the bottom back up? <_<

All I know is I can't wait until Gillis trades Luongo or Schneider and a couple months later he says how the guy was a winer and wanted all the ice time all for self glorification.

But of course who could blame Gillis for saying such things

Yeah i'm sure you know all these prospects that the Canucks have drafted have cringed inside when being drafted by the Canucks.

I'm sure the Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, Edler, Tanev, Hansen, Schneider and more have all regretted being drafted by the Canucks. Look at how bad these players are? Such bad development eh? Boy they are REALLY mismanaging these guys. Just horrible.

ad hominum

MG just won the PR situation on this one. so did Cody by saying he would take the high road. GR made himself look bad.

ad hominum means that if, during the course of a debate, one of the sides resorts to personal slander or attacks on character - ie. something that isn't the subject of the debate - they are in effect indicating that they don't have anything of substance to say. It is typically a last resort, low class, petty thing to do. GR certainly loses a lot of respect amongst people with brains ;)

Good on Gary Roberts but BETTER on Cody for "Taking the High Road and NOT COMMENTING" which is what I said that MG should have done.

PLAYERS won't trust MG and I don't blame them. There was something on the forum yesterday about MG and AV being back and someone suggested does anyone think they wouldn't be back and my response was ME!

Then I suggested what MG should have said to the media about Cody: That what is said to Players behind closed doors stays there and Cody is not part of our team anymore so next question . . . That isn't exactly how I worded it yesterday but similar.

Mike Gillis will live to regret those words and I am sure of that. I was shocked at the trade but my respect for MG went out the door for those comments. Get Jim Nill here folks for our next GM. That is who our GM should have been in the first place - a guy with experience as an assistant GM.

Remember a few months ago we were having a conversation about how the whole Ballard trade was Grabner's fault. Didn't i say if we don't learn and do things better we will continue to lose good, young talent? Don't you see how this keeps happening yet it's never managements fault?

Good on Gary Roberts but BETTER on Cody for "Taking the High Road and NOT COMMENTING" which is what I said that MG should have done.

PLAYERS won't trust MG and I don't blame them. There was something on the forum yesterday about MG and AV being back and someone suggested does anyone think they wouldn't be back and my response was ME!

Then I suggested what MG should have said to the media about Cody: That what is said to Players behind closed doors stays there and Cody is not part of our team anymore so next question . . . That isn't exactly how I worded it yesterday but similar.

Mike Gillis will live to regret those words and I am sure of that. I was shocked at the trade but my respect for MG went out the door for those comments. Get Jim Nill here folks for our next GM. That is who our GM should have been in the first place - a guy with experience as an assistant GM.

Archived