Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

When Will Schroeder Be Nhl Ready?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
83 replies to this topic

#61 Chip Kelly

Chip Kelly

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,354 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:42 PM

Use Schroeder as trade bait to get a big center prospect.

fyo3s9.jpg

Credit to Mr.DirtyDangles for the find and Twilight Sparkle for making a sick siggy!

#62 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:02 AM

Schroeder could use another year in the AHL to get ice time, gain some muscle and all in all hone his game, but he's ready to get a few games here and there.

Also, if Raymond is dealt, Schroeder will likely make the lineup, but if Raymond stays, Schroeder will need one heck of a camp.

Well assuming that we end up with a top 6 forward out of the Luongo deal... I am not sure where you see a space. None of those guys are 4th line material.

If there is a space in the top 9, I would assume that Jensen would be the strongest contender for it as he can play on the 3rd line if necessary.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Trade Acquisition/Jensen
Higgins-Malhotra-Hansen
Zassian-Lapierre-Any plug/Bitz/Volp[atti/Pinizotto
Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#63 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,732 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:52 AM

Jordan Staal is not being played to showcase, he is an integral part of the team's success.

Yeah, I was perhaps a bit unclear there.

I was referencing the situation here, where Hodgson was playing behind two other centers who have big contracts and NTC's, just as Staal is playing 3C in Pittsburg, behind two guys with even bigger contracts and NMC's. It has been reported that Staal has been seeking a greater role on the team, once again a reference to the past situation here.

Staal will be a UFA after next season. It seems likely that Staal will want a lot more money than Pittsburg can afford to remain 3rd fiddle, but a more likely outcome is that, assuming he was allowed to reach UFA status, he would sign somewhere else where he could get top-6 minutes and responsibility... and more money.

Hodgson will be a RFA after next season. It seems pretty clear that Hodgson wanted more from his association with the Canucks, and more than likely he would seek to leave the team either via a trade or free agency as it didn't look like he was going to move up the depth chart any time soon (3 - 5 years at least). He has a far better chance at top-6 minutes in Buffalo and will probably sign there... unless he doesn't.

In this sense, these two players were being showcased. The team was using the player's talents in a subordinate role, and as insurance in case of injury further up the depth chart (eg. Crosby concussion issues, Malhotra here). In this sort of situation, the player would want to go, as he wants to play more. The team will want to keep him for as long as possible, and then move him for the best possible return when his contract is nearing its end. And since there is no way to make room at the top, trading the younger player is usually the only option available to the team.

Schroeder will soon be in the same situation as Hodgson and Staal (ie. Schroeder will be a RFA after next season). He will be a guy who would best be a top-6 center who is stuck as a 3C. Due to the ages of the guys playing in front of him, there is the liklihood that he will not see any advancement for his career here, and he will want to move on. Chances are he will be traded to another team, not because he is a poor player but rather that he is a good one. Even if he wanted to stay, eventually the team wouldn't be able to afford to keep him as a 3C, and he would be traded.

And, barring significant injury to other players, it will happen before he bails on his own.

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#64 Touchet

Touchet

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:31 AM

The ironing is delicious....

you know, I've never found the act of ironing to be that tasty. To each their own I guess.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image Prestige Worldwide - GM of the Pittsburgh Penguins

#65 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,204 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:49 AM

This team has enough size IMO. The only "small" guys on offence are Raymond and Hansen but Hansen plays a great gritty game so he's excluded. If anything, our team needs more speed and skill, and it showed after being shutout since offensively since trading away Hodgson and losing a lot of our bottom-6 skill.

If we keep Raymond I'd like to see this be given a go next season:

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Booth - Kesler - Higgins
Burrows - Pahlsson - Hansen
Raymond - Lapierre - Schroeder
Bitz - Malhotra - Weise

This gives us the option of a speedy 4th line or big hitters. Our checking line is probably the best defensively in the NHL with 3 great defensively-aware forwards, we have probably the best 2nd line in the NHL right there and hopefully Kassian can gel with the Sedins after a solid training camp because he's exactly what they need.

Raymond and Schroeder are both fast players and Lapierre can keep up with them, but he brings the element of grit and protection both these guys need out there.
Posted Image

#66 Rounoush

Rounoush

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:35 AM

This will be determined in the preseason and training camp.
Posted Image
Thanks a bunch to khalifawiz501 for the signature.

#67 JensenFan2011

JensenFan2011

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:23 AM

.....not until after Jensen (bigger faster younger... what MG wants)

eventually....

Sedin Sedin Jensen
Booth Kesler Burrows
Higgins Mitchell Hansen
Moen Lappy Kassian

#68 Lonny_Bohonos_14

Lonny_Bohonos_14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:39 AM

I'd say Schroeder has a good chance to crack the roster next year. Didn't MG say at the time of the Kassian trade, that Schroeder made it easier to move Hodgson? I didn't get to watch him this year, but last year in Winnipeg I saw him a couple of times. He a great skater, and has a high hockey IQ. He's strong too, and creates space for himself in the slot. Defence was his biggest problem then, but it sounds like he's made great strides there.

I think that will be the biggest factor. IF AV thinks he is good enough defensively, he could very well slot into the 3rd line centre role.
Higgins - Schroeder - Hasen = Fast, skilled and some grit.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#69 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,933 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:39 AM

When we trade him in a deal for Ryan Johansen? :bigblush:
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#70 kloubek

kloubek

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:48 AM

I just don't get how he will fit in. He's about 3-5 inches too short and 20-30 pounds too light to fit the "model" Gillis is working towards.
Biggest Canucks Fan this Side of the Rockies.

#71 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:08 AM

you know, I've never found the act of ironing to be that tasty. To each their own I guess.

You should look it up... it is a pop culture saying, not a misspelling.

#72 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:10 AM

This team has enough size IMO. The only "small" guys on offence are Raymond and Hansen but Hansen plays a great gritty game so he's excluded. If anything, our team needs more speed and skill, and it showed after being shutout since offensively since trading away Hodgson and losing a lot of our bottom-6 skill.

If we keep Raymond I'd like to see this be given a go next season:

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Booth - Kesler - Higgins
Burrows - Pahlsson - Hansen
Raymond - Lapierre - Schroeder
Bitz - Malhotra - Weise

This gives us the option of a speedy 4th line or big hitters. Our checking line is probably the best defensively in the NHL with 3 great defensively-aware forwards, we have probably the best 2nd line in the NHL right there and hopefully Kassian can gel with the Sedins after a solid training camp because he's exactly what they need.

Raymond and Schroeder are both fast players and Lapierre can keep up with them, but he brings the element of grit and protection both these guys need out there.

First team in NHL history to roll 5 lines!

#73 tjkaemingh

tjkaemingh

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:47 AM

OP, schroeder may be ready soon, this fall or next fall.
He is small. He is talented. I do not think he is ripping it up in the AHL which would be nice for his development and confidence.

Craig MacTavish would be a good one to ask this question to.
The Canucks may be too deep for him to land a job here as long as AV is coach too.
He deserves a chance. Probably on 15 other teams, he makes the roster on his talent alone.

I'd like to see him try here. See what he has got. IMO hes not quite ready yet for the Canucks...

#74 rkyway

rkyway

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:57 AM

"Except Kesler, Burrows, the Sedins, Edler, Bieksa, Hansen, and Raymond...."
- all drafted by the previous regime.
- For what it's worth, in my opinion Shroeder looks too small to play at the NHL level. Very, very few players his size ever make it. In addition, I don't remember AV ever having a player this size in the lineup (ie. on any regular basis). He sure never gave Shirokov a chance and he was taller as I remember it.

#75 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:15 AM

"Except Kesler, Burrows, the Sedins, Edler, Bieksa, Hansen, and Raymond...."
- all drafted by the previous regime.

Hasn't been long enough to really play any of the current regime's picks... we have been doing too well so we have been picking late. That means what we get are likely to be longer term projects and/or journeymen.

The stat are that any player taken in the first round at 10 or higher has a 10-13% chance of playing in the NHL... so as we are picking in that range, to have anyone play regular minutes in the big league is remarkable.

We played Hodgson, quite a lot actually.

Edited by Provost, 03 May 2012 - 10:22 AM.

#76 Li'l Fra

Li'l Fra

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:26 AM

He's way small. I saw him two summers ago at the Penticton Prospects camp. Dude is small. He's going to have to be very dominant skill wise to play at the NHL level.

He's proven himself at every level and that's encouraging. But he hasn't always been dominant.

The big D-men in the NHL will just nudge him off the puck.

However, there's been small guys with very successful careers in the NHL. Here's hoping Schroeder can make it.

#77 VanIsleNuckFan

VanIsleNuckFan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,568 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:32 AM

He might be ready right now, however, if he hasn't got a spot to play up here then it's better that he stay in the minors.

About the only real advantage in playing Schroeder as a 3rd line center is to showcase his talents on the chance that he gets traded, kinda' like what Pittsburg is doing with Staal.

regards,
G.

Totally, cause they've really been shopping him around for four years now, too bad no takers..... (ummmmmm)

#78 Apricot

Apricot

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,624 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:39 AM

I hope he's ready for next year. I can see him turning some heads at training camp, its all about the management to decide if they want him on the team. Which I don't see happening, AV seems like he hates prospects or something. The size thing is a question, his size doesn't fit with this type of team Gillis wants. I just want to say, Martin St. Louis, Height-5.08, Weight- 177 pounds and undrafted. Schroeder, Height-5.09 Weight- 180 pounds drafted 22nd overall. I'm not necessarily comparing St.Louis to Schroeder, just their size. I feel like we got a gem in Schroeder and I have a feeling he'll be in the lineup next season.

ahmet-maranki-kayisi-yagi.jpg

Previously known as CanucksRuleAll, CRA or Cantaloupe.

RIP RR, LB, PD. Forever in our hearts <3

#79 Niloc009

Niloc009

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,751 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:00 AM

Wheels, I tend to agree with you.

By offensive players, he means pure offensive players. The only pure offensive players on last years team were Henrik, Daniel, and Booth.

Everyone else plays defense-first, or very close to it. Burrows, Kesler, Raymond, Higgins, Pahlsson, Lapierre, Malhotra, Hansen, and even Sweatt who we called up from the minors, all put a premium on playing defensive hockey.

For pure offensive prospects lately we've had Grabner, Shirokov, and Hodgson.
Grabner wasn't putting in te effort anywhere, so we traded him
Shirokov proved himself in the minors, but then was benches and sent right back down. I don't know what goes on behind the organisation's closed doors, but whatever happened made AV not trust Shirokov on the ice.
Hodgson made the team! A 3rd line centre on a strong, cup contending team, what more could be asked for? Apparently, a trade. He selfishly wanted more minutes and was promptly moved.

I wouldnt agree that we don't give offensive players a chance, but we haven't had any top class offensive players lately (Sedins-type), and the middle-class ones aren't google to bump out a veteran who plays the majority of the game mistake free.

Edited by Niloc009, 03 May 2012 - 11:01 AM.

Posted Image

STHS Hockey League - Brooklyn Beavers GM

#80 Dr.G

Dr.G

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:28 AM

Wow.. I'm so sorry everyone.. I can't dumb it down for you guys any more than that.. If you can't understand what I'm saying, you guys are screwed... yikes...

Maybe that's because you're the dumb one here and no one can dumb themselves down to your level.

Burrows has been better offensively than all your suggestions and you define him as a 2 way player, not an offensive player...wtf?? Figure your life out.

#81 CHIPS

CHIPS

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:16 PM

Given his size, Schroeder would need to be Patrick Kane good to make our roaster.

CanucksvsBruinsPollsmall-1.jpgRogerNeilsonSmall.jpgSig too big. 

#82 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,615 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:53 PM

It seems that all our offensive prospects and draft picks never play for us.

Unlike some teams we never give youngsters a chance to grow with the Canucks and therefore they never get to be at that level where they can play for us.

It's like the old, you need this job to get this experience but you need experience to get this job. That in my mind is one of the biggest factors in being succesful in today's day and age. Can you get a young player with a smaller cap hit to play enthusiatically to motivate the team while still contributing and not hurting the team to badly.
There are things known and unknown ... and in between are the doors.

#83 John Garret's moustache

John Garret's moustache

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:32 PM

Wow.. I'm so sorry everyone.. I can't dumb it down for you guys any more than that.. If you can't understand what I'm saying, you guys are screwed... yikes...

you are trying to tell us that no offensive talents have ever been drafted, developed, and played by the Canucks... last time I checked Kesler, Burrows, and Edler are all pretty offensive, never mind 2 time Art Ross, 1 time Hart Winning Sedins... If you can't realize those are 5 players any team in the league would die for, you're the screwed one...
Posted Image

Thanks to Vintage Canuck. for the sick Zeppelin sig!

#84 John Garret's moustache

John Garret's moustache

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:35 PM

Burrows, Kesler, Edler, Bieksa, Hansen all play on the PK and are shutdown players, no?

Once again, I said "offensive" players.. Those are two-way players. They bring more to the table

Nice job though

So you're saying you'd rather have one-dimensional offensive players that can't play D? cause I'd rather have people that can do both... Especially if they score 35-40 goals while doing so
Posted Image

Thanks to Vintage Canuck. for the sick Zeppelin sig!

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.