The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

When Will Schroeder Be Nhl Ready?

Schroeder could use another year in the AHL to get ice time, gain some muscle and all in all hone his game, but he's ready to get a few games here and there.

Also, if Raymond is dealt, Schroeder will likely make the lineup, but if Raymond stays, Schroeder will need one heck of a camp.

This team has enough size IMO. The only "small" guys on offence are Raymond and Hansen but Hansen plays a great gritty game so he's excluded. If anything, our team needs more speed and skill, and it showed after being shutout since offensively since trading away Hodgson and losing a lot of our bottom-6 skill.

If we keep Raymond I'd like to see this be given a go next season:

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Booth - Kesler - Higgins

Burrows - Pahlsson - Hansen

Raymond - Lapierre - Schroeder

Bitz - Malhotra - Weise

This gives us the option of a speedy 4th line or big hitters. Our checking line is probably the best defensively in the NHL with 3 great defensively-aware forwards, we have probably the best 2nd line in the NHL right there and hopefully Kassian can gel with the Sedins after a solid training camp because he's exactly what they need.

Raymond and Schroeder are both fast players and Lapierre can keep up with them, but he brings the element of grit and protection both these guys need out there.

I'd say Schroeder has a good chance to crack the roster next year. Didn't MG say at the time of the Kassian trade, that Schroeder made it easier to move Hodgson? I didn't get to watch him this year, but last year in Winnipeg I saw him a couple of times. He a great skater, and has a high hockey IQ. He's strong too, and creates space for himself in the slot. Defence was his biggest problem then, but it sounds like he's made great strides there.

I think that will be the biggest factor. IF AV thinks he is good enough defensively, he could very well slot into the 3rd line centre role.

Higgins - Schroeder - Hasen = Fast, skilled and some grit.

This team has enough size IMO. The only "small" guys on offence are Raymond and Hansen but Hansen plays a great gritty game so he's excluded. If anything, our team needs more speed and skill, and it showed after being shutout since offensively since trading away Hodgson and losing a lot of our bottom-6 skill.

If we keep Raymond I'd like to see this be given a go next season:

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Booth - Kesler - Higgins

Burrows - Pahlsson - Hansen

Raymond - Lapierre - Schroeder

Bitz - Malhotra - Weise

This gives us the option of a speedy 4th line or big hitters. Our checking line is probably the best defensively in the NHL with 3 great defensively-aware forwards, we have probably the best 2nd line in the NHL right there and hopefully Kassian can gel with the Sedins after a solid training camp because he's exactly what they need.

Raymond and Schroeder are both fast players and Lapierre can keep up with them, but he brings the element of grit and protection both these guys need out there.

OP, schroeder may be ready soon, this fall or next fall.

He is small. He is talented. I do not think he is ripping it up in the AHL which would be nice for his development and confidence.

Craig MacTavish would be a good one to ask this question to.

The Canucks may be too deep for him to land a job here as long as AV is coach too.

He deserves a chance. Probably on 15 other teams, he makes the roster on his talent alone.

I'd like to see him try here. See what he has got. IMO hes not quite ready yet for the Canucks...

"Except Kesler, Burrows, the Sedins, Edler, Bieksa, Hansen, and Raymond...."

- all drafted by the previous regime.

- For what it's worth, in my opinion Shroeder looks too small to play at the NHL level. Very, very few players his size ever make it. In addition, I don't remember AV ever having a player this size in the lineup (ie. on any regular basis). He sure never gave Shirokov a chance and he was taller as I remember it.

He's way small. I saw him two summers ago at the Penticton Prospects camp. Dude is small. He's going to have to be very dominant skill wise to play at the NHL level.

He's proven himself at every level and that's encouraging. But he hasn't always been dominant.

The big D-men in the NHL will just nudge him off the puck.

However, there's been small guys with very successful careers in the NHL. Here's hoping Schroeder can make it.

He might be ready right now, however, if he hasn't got a spot to play up here then it's better that he stay in the minors.

About the only real advantage in playing Schroeder as a 3rd line center is to showcase his talents on the chance that he gets traded, kinda' like what Pittsburg is doing with Staal.

regards,

G.

I hope he's ready for next year. I can see him turning some heads at training camp, its all about the management to decide if they want him on the team. Which I don't see happening, AV seems like he hates prospects or something. The size thing is a question, his size doesn't fit with this type of team Gillis wants. I just want to say, Martin St. Louis, Height-5.08, Weight- 177 pounds and undrafted. Schroeder, Height-5.09 Weight- 180 pounds drafted 22nd overall. I'm not necessarily comparing St.Louis to Schroeder, just their size. I feel like we got a gem in Schroeder and I have a feeling he'll be in the lineup next season.

Wheels, I tend to agree with you.

By offensive players, he means pure offensive players. The only pure offensive players on last years team were Henrik, Daniel, and Booth.

Everyone else plays defense-first, or very close to it. Burrows, Kesler, Raymond, Higgins, Pahlsson, Lapierre, Malhotra, Hansen, and even Sweatt who we called up from the minors, all put a premium on playing defensive hockey.

For pure offensive prospects lately we've had Grabner, Shirokov, and Hodgson.

Grabner wasn't putting in te effort anywhere, so we traded him

Shirokov proved himself in the minors, but then was benches and sent right back down. I don't know what goes on behind the organisation's closed doors, but whatever happened made AV not trust Shirokov on the ice.

Hodgson made the team! A 3rd line centre on a strong, cup contending team, what more could be asked for? Apparently, a trade. He selfishly wanted more minutes and was promptly moved.

I wouldnt agree that we don't give offensive players a chance, but we haven't had any top class offensive players lately (Sedins-type), and the middle-class ones aren't google to bump out a veteran who plays the majority of the game mistake free.

Archived