The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edler

Erik Karlsson

This whole post along with morons hating on juice and Edler is why people say we have the dumbest fans in hockey! Was he perfect far from it but he's 26 people if you knew anything about hockey you'd know that most defencemen take time to develop. Yah lets get rid of our best defencmen because a few morons think he had a bad year. Its not the media here that has a negative effect on players its you negative, quick to throw players under the bus ignorant uninformed so called "fans" that do.

Want to go through the lineup?

The Sedins have been "crapped on" many times during their careers by Canucks fans.

Burrows, well NOW we really want him..

Raymond...

Kesler has had his share lately

Higgins has been crapped on by some for a "bad playoff", even though he is incredibly hardworking and drove our lineup for most of the season.

Booth has been majorly crapped on even though he has done exactly what he has been brought in here to do and players usually do better in their second year as a canuck.

Hansen has been crapped on by a few for not being a second liner even though that is ridiculous

Malhotra has been crapped on a ton

Pahlsson has been crapped on for a "bad" playoffs

Lapierre was crapped on almost immediately after arriving here and then again a little bit in the playoffs

Kassian has been continuously crapped on

Bieksa has had a ton of crap

Hamhuis... Only player I can think of where people haven't raged against him for an extended period of time..

Edler... See thread

Salo has been sorta crapped on... Underrated because of injuries AND crapped on because he is injury prone

Ballard... Continual crap

Tanev was crapped on a bit in the playoffs

Rome has received crap from anyone without the initials AV

Alberts received more crap then anyone else on the team during his first year here.

Luongo... It's so thick, now it's a brown medal.

Schneider has been crapped on by Luongo fanatics.

So what were you saying?

It is. He has lost the ears and attention of his team. Calling out Kesler to the media was just plain stupid too.

Vigneault has had the same basic strategy, year in year out. It's predictable.

What did Einstein say the definition of insanity was? Doing the exact same thing and expecting different results. That's Vigneault.

Back to topic though. Edler was the most glaringly deficient in the series. He looked confused and fearful. Instead of being a force he was a goat. Bieksa wasn't far behind. Honestly those two gave the puck away far too often and it cost us. The Canucks were truly the only team that could have beaten LA. If they played as a team. They didn't.

Now we look to next season. We need a better defense.

Edler is full of potential. Remember, Lidstrom didn't win his first Norris until he was 31 years old; Edler is only 26. Edler makes some great passes, like a lot of defensemen, but make no mistake, not that many can pass well.

It also bugs me how everyone gets on about Edler's bad defensive mistakes, but never compliment his great defensive plays.

Despite the fact that Edler makes a fair amount of mistakes in his own end, he makes up for it with many great defensive plays that have saved many goals against.

Watch this video for an example:

Whether he'll ever be as good as Shea Weber, it's hard to see yet, but it's hard to deny his crazy high potential. He does play in a similar style to Weber, which is why you see so many comparisons to him. They are both big, have big shots, and have huge hits.

He's got an incredibly powerful shot, that is a rather hidden gem in the league. Some say his shot is inaccurate, and while this may be true, he's got time to work on accuracy. Look at Salo, his shot wasn't at its best until his 30's, and Edler can shoot it even harder than him.

There's a reason Edler was chosen as our best defenseman this year. He will grow. Give him time and he'll become our star defenseman.

Get a puck moving defense man and let Edler play the way he was suppose to play. There's too much pressure for him to be a puck moving defense man to replace Ehrhoff, and that is why he struggled. Get one offense first guy, and have everyone play defensive first and you will love the Canuck's D again.

Definition of a Puck moving defense man is a defense man, who has the speed to rush up into the offensive zone, make crisp outlet passes to the forwards, have enough offensive skill to play on the first PP unit, without making too much glaring mistakes.

Edler can put up points, but he is not a puck moving defense man. Don't try to make him one. He's doesn't have the smooth elite skating ability of a real puck mover.

Get a puck moving defense man and let Edler play the way he was suppose to play. There's too much pressure for him to be a puck moving defense man to replace Ehrhoff, and that is why he struggled. Get one offense first guy, and have everyone play defensive first and you will love the Canuck's D again.

Definition of a Puck moving defense man is a defense man, who has the speed to rush up into the offensive zone, make crisp outlet passes to the forwards, have enough offensive skill to play on the first PP unit, without making too much glaring mistakes.

Edler can put up points, but he is not a puck moving defense man.

Perhaps, we could experiment up until the trade deadline. I think a Mark Streit, would be a perfect fit.

Though, Off course there's a few free agents but will be severely overpaid. Wideman, Souray, Corvo. Maybe take a risk at Matt Gilroy. and expect them to be in and out of the doghouse.

BTW - Personally i hate puck moving defense man because they always make mistakes, but I'll be happy knowing Edler is probably backing them up. Add the fact that, the top pair and the second pair will be probably be balanced in terms of ice time. Unless somehow they manage to acquire a super defense man like Alex Pietrangelo. Impossiblez.

Too bad we weren't able to get John Carlson for Hodgson

Anyways, think a guy like this will help bring the Twins back to 100 point players, and Kesler back to a 30-40 goal scorer. The PP instantly becomes better with a puck mover.

I agree with those who believe that Edler is a good defenceman, not an elite defenceman. Some things that Edler would need to improve:

He lays on the ice behind Luo or Schneider, trying to play goalie instead of picking up his check in front of the net (granted he isn't the only one). Our goalies are good, let them do their damn job!!!

I like Edler's shot but I would like it more if he could hit the net more often. He would leave the 50 point mark in the dust if he could improve his accuracy.

Edler has had trouble with some danglers dancing him. Not easy to stop some of the skill in the NHL, but to be elite, he has to be reliable.

The dude is 6'3" 215 yet plays like a pansy. Yes he throws the occasional big hit, but he what he really needs to do is to get meaner when clearing his net and battling on the boards. I don't know how the team can awaken his Swedish Viking anger, but he needs it to be more effective defensively (as he doesn't have the same hockey IQ as Lidstrom, Zubov etc). The way he plays now, if I were on the other team, I would love to play against Edler.

Ok the last thing may be a little difficult for Edler to achieve but the first three have a lot to do with coaching. I don't want to lay blame on Bowness, but the whole flopping around on the ice in our crease instead of knocking down bodies makes me want to put my foot through the tv. I don't see how any coach could see that as being solid defensively.

Another VERY good player that our fans want to run out of town. Luongo, Kesler, now Edler. Pathetic and humiliating. Those three players form a sick core by themselves. Some of you really just need to shut up.

What's with the posts about how ALL canuck fans blah blah blah...

I see it's about 90 to 10 in favour of keeping and developing Edler in this thread with only a minority of dissenters that want him gone.

Seriously, just reply to the op as an individual and not as if you are only beacon of intelligence in a sea of stupidity, no one here is a singular superhero of his own mind fighting against the unwashed masses of drooling lunatics. (Though some days I can understand when it's easier to cherrypick the negative posts)

oh.. and Edler had a horrible playoff this year, that is beyond doubt in my opinion. Doesn't mean he can't fix it, but he was awful.

Edler's poor play could also fall on the fact that AV changed the pairings for no apparent reason with about a month to go in the regular season. I have no idea why he would split up Hamhuis and Bieksa along with Edler and Salo. He then puts Tanev with Hamhuis, and Edler with Bieksa. That is two of the worst pairings I've ever seen. Why $crew with the chemistry right before the playoffs? Just another bonehead move by AV.

Another VERY good player that our fans want to run out of town. Luongo, Kesler, now Edler. Pathetic and humiliating. Those three players form a sick core by themselves. Some of you really just need to shut up.

Archived