The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

By Resigning Av, Gillis And Aquilini's Showed Us Fans That They Don't Care About Winning

miles.p

There is not enough space on here to list the mistakes and blunders made by Gillis and AV, but a short summary would include:

- foot in mouth by AV over Luongo trade situation

- foot in mouth by AV over Kesler shoulder injury

- dealing Hodgson by Gillis

- AV comments about Hodgson since drafted

- AV misplaying forward lines (Raymond in top 6 for these past playoffs?)

- Gillis passing up on Brendan Morrison (when his veteran presence could have made a big difference in last years' Cup final). Morrison said at the time: "I'd be willing to play whatever role they want me to." Talk about team guy.

Anyhow, the list goes on...

We are priveleged to watch this group play and I count myself very lucky to have been able to witness the development of the Sedins over their careers. They are a very unique phenomenon in the NHL. The Canuck's chances have never been better, in over 41 years! That's huge. So, when Gillis and AV make mistakes that are avoidable and show mediocrity on their part, I think it's good that they're called out.

Everyone needs to be accountable. Even Management can admit that they mishandled certain situations. The players certainly do, so it would be nice to see Gillis and AV do so for just once.

Pride and insecurity often prevents people from admitting their mistakes. It's also what prevents people from winning the cup.

So getting 12 goals in 10 playoff games is the coaches fault? Should AV have strapped on some skates and gone out there and scored a hat trick every game? The sedins were shutdown by Chara. Kesler was injured the ast 2 playoff rounds, our best offensive D man Ehrhoff was injured, Edler was playing horrible in the series s LA. Where was the offense going to come from? Not to mention Tim Thomas played like a champion. This falls completely on the players shoulders.

People who blame the coach for the players obvious shortcomings are delusional. Did you know that AV and Michel Therrien have the exact same system? Both of whom grew up together and have almost the exact same coaching mindset--playing the right way. Which i'm all for, which is why a coaching change isn't necessarily needed.

Sure this team could excel under a different coach as well, but to blame the coach for the players not showing up is ridiculous, and delusional.

What i was saying is that blaming the teams offensive short comings on the coach doesn't make a lot of sense. AV played his best players and they were expected to get the job done, they had in the past with the same system yet they weren't able to get the job done this year against LA.

Some blame does fall on the coach obviously. But the reason he stated doesn't warrant blame. When did i say it doesn't matter whether AV is there or not? When did i say i was absolving AV of all responsibility? Don't put words in my mouth.

Sorry about that, I am putting words in your mouth and I was out of line. I was just doing a bit of deduction:

"its all the players fault" means "none of it is the coaches fault" as in he has no input or influence, thus it doesnt matter if he is there or not.

I know you didnt say that straight up, but I dont see how youre going to avoid that conclusion.

The thing is, you'd never be considered for management. You don't have the knowledge, experience and resume to come even close to a management position with a professional hockey team. Only 1 team wins it per year. Every team, players, fan wants their teams team to win it all. Because of parity around the league, there are no more dynasties. Canucks came close last year and it came down to the last game. 28 other teams wish they were in that enviable position last season. Each new season there is hope, even with the perennial cellar dwellers. At the start of the season, who would have thought it would be a Kings-Devils final. Not one hockey writer or hockey personality predicted either team to be in this position. Same with the 94 Canucks. They had a so so season that year, yet at the end of the day, they over-achieved, benefited from excellent trades and played their hearts out only to lose in game 7 to the Rangers. This is exactly what the Kings are doing now. So for you to spout off your nonsense about AV, Gillis and Aquilini shows what little you know about the competitiveness of this sport. True fans stand behind their team. Fickle fans do not. They think they know it all and know much better than the pros themselves. If you don't like the team, then don't bother watching them. There's so many other beneficial things to do in life other than whining and complaining.

I just don't think AV has the type of leadership that players will respect and fear. He is using a soft approach to coach the team, that's why our team is being seen as soft around the league. If we have a hard nose coach like a Tortorella, I am sure our team will be that much tougher...at least Tortorella will not allow his team to dive and not answer the bell when push comes to shove...

I still don't see how AV gets away in his interview by saying were the best team in the league over the last couple years? Do we have a Cup ...... i don't think so !

Does he here a plane or see Tattoo because i swear he's living on Fantasy Island. Regular season success doesn't count for much around these parts Alain !

<p>

I still don't see how AV gets away in his interview by saying were the best team in the league over the last couple years?  Do we have a Cup ...... i don't think so !

Does he here a plane or see Tattoo because i swear he's living on Fantasy Island. Regular season success doesn't count for much around these parts Alain !

:huh: ...Again by putting quotations around what you think i said you're putting words in my mouth. Never did i say ''it's all the players fault'' nor did i say ''none of it is the coaches fault''.

What i said was, ''People who blame the coach for the players obvious shortcomings are delusional'' right after i said why the Canucks didn't show up offensively -- which were the short comings i was referring to.

Also i didn't blame just the players, i also mentioned how injuries were a big factor as well.

Now i won't dispute the fact that there were coaching mistakes. But the arguments some had given were not all coaching mistakes, which was the point of my argument...

how do i give a thread negative stars? when your coach is winningest in team history in a fairly short amount of time, youre doing something great. translating that success to playoffs is tough, but it's even tough to turn a mediocre hockey team into a cup winner so i think ill take my chances with the guy who leads us to the presidents cup trophy lol

Archived