Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Luongo should get his due from critics [Province Article]

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
44 replies to this topic

#1 The Situation

The Situation

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,698 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:57 PM

Luongo should get his due from critics

By Tony Gallagher, Postmedia News May 31, 2012 6:20 PM

VANCOUVER — There is so much ridiculous information surrounding Vancouver Canucks goalie Roberto Luongo and his future these days, one doesn’t really know where to begin debunking some of this stuff.

The Bleacher Report, which is normally pretty solid, ran a list of ‘players who sucked’ in this year’s playoffs, and despite playing very well in the Canucks’ first two losses at home against the Kings, Luongo was fingered on the basis of his goals-against average and save percentage. In two games? A player who sucked? Sure he gave up that goal from the side of the net to Mike Richards on the power play, but that was a tremendously smart play on the forward’s part and it’s amazing more players don’t try it. And this is to ignore all the outstanding saves he made behind a team that didn’t look prepared to start the playoffs.

After what may have been the second- or third-best year in his career whereby he helped a genuinely struggling team in the second half of the season win another Presidents’ Trophy, his name is still somehow chopped liver and he’s being compared unfavourably to the likes to Tomas Vokoun.

It’s as though the tremendous play of Cory Schneider has somehow depreciated what Luongo has done with this team this year.

Granted he has committed the unpardonable sin in Canada, and now, increasingly so, in the U.S. as well. That is, he’s actually been good enough, long enough to become highly paid and we all know that can’t be allowed. It’s being portrayed as though his cap number of $5.3 million US is somehow way too high, out of line, and you have people like Steve Yzerman indicating he’s not interested when the two goalies he has couldn’t even fill out the guy’s jersey.

This isn’t to say Luongo hasn’t had his failing moments in Vancouver. But without the goaltending he and Schneider provided this season, one can’t really be sure where this team would have finished the regular season, even playing in the hamburger pision they did. Yet somehow the media around the league has this perception that Luongo is going to be given away to anyone who might be so stupid as to have any kind of sincere interest.

It’s been reported in lots of different places that Canucks GM Mike Gillis has been contacting general managers around the league about the possibility of moving the veteran goalie without yet having signed Schneider. Not surprisingly, he insists that is absolutely untrue.

“I haven’t contacted anyone with respect to Roberto at all,” Gillis said Thursday. “I’ve had people call me and ask about him and I’ve told them that we haven’t made any decisions at all about the future of our goaltending. And that’s absolutely the truth. We’re going to have our pro scouts in over the next seven to 10 days, have our meetings and then we’ll come out of that with a firm plan on how to move ahead.”

Gillis has had one conversation with Luongo and over the next few days he’ll have another on the phone with the goalie to see if he feels the same way as he did right after the season when they first talked.

“He basically said to me the exact same thing he said to you guys that if it (a trade) was something that would help the team, he’d consider it,” said Gillis. “But I’d like to get his feelings now that he’s had a little time to think it over. There’s no rush here. There’s no need to get into anything too quickly because that’s when you’re likely to make a mistake. I was at the GMs’ meeting this week and you can ask all 29 other guys whether I talked to them about trading a goalie and they’d tell you ‘no’ because it just hasn’t happened.”

Gillis is confident of signing Schneider, the first logical step in any procedure, and there’s plenty of cap space to get that done, at least in the interim period between now and the Sept. 15 expiry of the old collective bargaining agreement. The team has one, soon (Gillis hopes) to be two, goalies signed and then seven defencemen and 10 forwards all under contract in a pretty lean free-agent market, so they feel they’re in pretty decent shape relative to many teams.

For the moment at least, Luongo is one of the big reasons they feel they’re in that situation.

Vancouver Province

© Copyright © The Province

Read more: http://www.theprovin...l#ixzz1wVFA2dA4

Edited by The Situation, 31 May 2012 - 07:02 PM.

Posted Image

#2 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,214 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:00 PM

im assuming that the last word in the article helped you decide whether or not to post it on cdc.
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#3 Newsflash

Newsflash

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:01 PM

The Bleacher Report, which is normally pretty solid, ran a list of ‘players who sucked’ in this year’s playoffs, and despite playing very well in the Canucks’ first two losses at home against the Kings, Luongo was fingered on the basis of his goals-against average and save percentage. In two games?

Bashing Luongo allows people who don't know jack about hockey or the Canucks to act like they do. Bashing him for those two games is a prime example of this.

Buddy I called this EXACT situtation on here two years ago and was flamed, so I guess I have a bit of hockey knowledge, not to mention the 4 years I played in the OHL idiot.

The conspiracy theories that used to be against Lateralus:
Puberty, life, movie theaters, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out during a children's movie, Toy Story 3, Pixar, who ever decided to make Woody so damn attractive, a job, his mothers basement, being 40, being 40 five years ago, dogs who can out run him, all dogs, the Olympic committee, Truth, Fact, Honesty, Logic, Newsflash, a father figure who was there to see him learn to ride his first bike, bikes,

#4 The Situation

The Situation

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,698 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:02 PM

im assuming that the last word in the article helped you decide whether or not to post it on cdc.

:bigblush:
Posted Image

#5 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:10 PM

Luu's a ???? beast. When this team was complete crap, he put them on his back in 06-07 and bailed out kes/sedins. He gave them time to mature and not be under as much scrutiny as him. He is a fierce competitor and he will never ever give up. Not as many players would have re-signed for cheap or signed here as a free agent for cheap without Roberto Luongo in net. You think they would have signed for cheap a few years back with some young guy named Cory Schneider? Helll no. The team we have today has a lot to do with having Roberto Luongo as our goalie. He's had his ups and downs, but I will tell you one thing, some of those really big downs created a massive roller coaster ride for the last few years. Sometimes it didn't always end well, but it was some of the most exciting hockey I've ever witnessed. If we get rid of him, I just have a really bad feeling about it. I think some of his meltdowns kept this team on its heals and working hard. I think Luongo's meltdowns are behind him. He's emotionally matured over the last few years and I don't see him collapsing anymore. He's a hell of a player and he will be missed if he leaves this team. I guarantee we end up regretting this trade.

Edited by The Brahma Bull, 31 May 2012 - 07:59 PM.

#6 Spotted Zebra

Spotted Zebra

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,001 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:12 PM

Asking for Luongo haters to give him credit is like asking a rock to speak
Posted Image
Thanks Vintage Canuck!

#7 NLluvitorleaveit

NLluvitorleaveit

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:35 PM

A rock did speak...on the post above yours lol

Posted Image

#8 Gonz

Gonz

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:49 PM

Great another Tony article always stirring up trouble. Like the pro Lu's and non pro Lu's need more fuel to go at it n CDC board

#9 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:55 PM

:bigblush:

HA! You just made my day. Thanks!
Posted Image

#10 D.Doughty

D.Doughty

Canucks Third-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:29 PM

I'm happy with whoever we sign, as long as we don't lose both. Be grateful for what you have

#11 Rink on Renfrew

Rink on Renfrew

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:36 PM

Great article. Nothing but the truth.

To be honest, as a huge Canuck fan for over twenty years, I just don't get this fan base (or the majority of it). It's one thing to hate on a player for having multiple poor seasons but Luongo has been a very good goalie for most of his time here, if not all of his time here.

His huge collapses have been the result of our whole team playing poorly, even giving up/getting rattled. How many times has a player walked around our D or a player gotten two or three wacks at a rebound, durning those blowouts. Hell, he even posted two shutouts in the finals plus a few very good close games. Yet he's treated like chop liver.

Hey lookey now.....you want it, you got it. The best goalie we've ever had could be traded away to appease the unknowledgeable knee jerkers.

Just my take on the situation.

#12 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,146 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:14 PM

I have to say that I very rarely appreciate what Gallagher has to say - he usually has his guns turned inward on this organization - but this is about the best thing he has published in my opinion. I actually agree with him (first for everything) - so many people are underestimating Luongo, making baseless devaluations, and suggesting that his contract is an unmovable entity. Luongo has been a consistently productive goaltender - there are some halfwits out there who think a goaltender should never have a bad game, should never get caught out of position, should be infallible... He had great games and off games like every other guy, but generally gives his team a chance to win on a consistent basis. Those people running Luongo down haven't watched enough goaltenders perform over a long period. Schneider's incredible poise, positioning, and technical efficiency have given too many people in this town the misperception that being Luongo's equal is no formidable task. Canucks fans have enjoyed some of the best goaltending in the NHL for some time, and have come to take it for granted.

To suggest that no other team would want him is to suggest that the NHL is populated by idiots at the GM position.

Edited by oldnews, 31 May 2012 - 10:34 PM.

#13 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:27 PM

Luongo has been instrumental in making the Canucks the powerhouse they are today. He has done this amazing feat with an average defensive corps. Many of the "soft" goals Luongo has let in have been after defensive breakdowns, which happen far more frequently.

With idiots like Jason Botchford stirring the pot, we have a certain portion of Canucks fans calling for Luongo to be traded.

If the Canucks can acquire one or two (please) No. 1/Top 4 defenseman (Weber, Garrison, Wideman, Franson, Schenn) while shedding the average ones (Edler, Rome, Alberts) Luongo can still bring this city a Stanley Cup.

Along with Schneider and the Sedins, Luo was excellent in an otherwise brutal series.

Edited by Canuck-a-nuck, 31 May 2012 - 09:28 PM.

Posted Image

#14 sport scout

sport scout

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:42 PM

I dont think the aquilini family would like roberto to be traded, in my opinion

#15 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,026 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:04 PM

Who cares about this sh?

Most people should be concerned about what to do with their Luongo jerseys when he becomes a friggin' Maple Leaf!

Me? I'm hand-stitching my own 'McLean' name plate. Good times, Roberto. But if you become a Maple Leaf, you're dead to me. Cheers.

TOML
Posted Image

#16 Edler's Mind Tricks

Edler's Mind Tricks

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:08 PM

The Bleacher Report, which is normally pretty solid

That is where I stopped reading...

Hockey Management Intern for UBC Thunderbirds.
Associate Editor for Dobber Sports Network.
Designing a UBC Hockey Management Degree.

#17 Christophe

Christophe

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:14 PM

God Tony is a moron.

Can this guy go follow another team. He has no idea what he's talking about.

Go on another Boston radio station and embarrass yourself again or something.

#18 CoreyPerry

CoreyPerry

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:19 PM

seems like toronto always in on every trade lol, wonder how much they actually are in on the trades they are rumored to be in on. Dreger and the rest of maple leafs fanboys are just feelers for the public to see how they would respond to the trade. You guys really think Luongo is going to be a leaf jus cause samjam99 tweeted it, is this kid Maebe Funke or something. Sure he broke some trades like 30 mins or hour before they happened, but now its like a month before it will happen, and this is the only kid that has the scoop, I doubt it.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Credit to CanucksBen for Kassian sig

#19 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,146 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:44 PM

Who cares about this sh?

Most people should be concerned about what to do with their Luongo jerseys when he becomes a friggin' Maple Leaf!

Me? I'm hand-stitching my own 'McLean' name plate. Good times, Roberto. But if you become a Maple Leaf, you're dead to me. Cheers.

TOML

Ditto. I like Roberto Luongo - and having said so, I wouldn't wish it on anyone that I like to have to get between the pipes in Toronto. Is there a worse fate in professional sports? You've gotta hand it to Luongo - if indeed he were willing to waive his ntc to go to goalie hell, and stand behind that porous blueline, he has even bigger cojones than I ever imagined. Those idiots in Onterrible who don't want Luongo can only be understood in one way - they are addicted to losing - they fear success - they wouldn't know what to do if their Leafs made the playoffs - they are Leafs fans. They would prefer the paper bag.

#20 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:19 PM

Luongo has been instrumental in making the Canucks the powerhouse they are today. He has done this amazing feat with an average defensive corps. Many of the "soft" goals Luongo has let in have been after defensive breakdowns, which happen far more frequently.

With idiots like Jason Botchford stirring the pot, we have a certain portion of Canucks fans calling for Luongo to be traded.

If the Canucks can acquire one or two (please) No. 1/Top 4 defenseman (Weber, Garrison, Wideman, Franson, Schenn) while shedding the average ones (Edler, Rome, Alberts) Luongo can still bring this city a Stanley Cup.

Along with Schneider and the Sedins, Luo was excellent in an otherwise brutal series.

Are you for real? You call the likes of Garrison, Wideman and Franson #1 level defensemen and in the same breath you call Edler an average one. You call out people for criticizing Luongo unfairly and yet you do the same thing, just to a different player.

Not trying to start another argument, I just wanted to point out the irony. People may see the light about Luongo actually being a great goalie but they'll just move on to unfairly judging a different Canuck.

#21 KSniper88

KSniper88

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:37 PM

Again, in sports you are judged by your stats and results. Who cares if he made some good saves in the end, he let 8 goals in the two games and did not make the key saves that at least would have given the team a chance to win.

Edited by KSniper88, 31 May 2012 - 11:54 PM.

#22 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,954 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:07 AM

Again, in sports you are judged by your stats and results. Who cares if he made some good saves in the end, he let 8 goals in the two games and did not make the key saves that at least would have given the team a chance to win.

This is the kind of garbage that starts Lu-hating bandwagons. And if you are gonna use stats, use the correct stats.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#23 KSniper88

KSniper88

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:30 AM

This is the kind of garbage that starts Lu-hating bandwagons. And if you are gonna use stats, use the correct stats.

Ya, show me recent stats of Lu that are superior than Schneider? Than make counter-arguments. Btw how many goals did Lu let in on his belly in 2 games against LA compared to Schneider. Stop relying on the long ago stats and if you want to don't forget to mention his meltdowns against Chicago and Boston plus shootouts, can't forget them.

#24 #01canuckfan

#01canuckfan

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:12 AM

I think were missing Lous point, were all so wrapped up in whether he is a good golie or not we are forgetting he is probably pissed off about being bashed everytime the team looses , if he moves it be because he wants to move closer or have more access to his family. Lou is a pro and one of the best, I would keep him, and worry about the defence infront of of him who causeda greater precentage of the goals scored on him the handful he let in.

#25 GHL

GHL

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:00 AM

Great another Tony article always stirring up trouble. Like the pro Lu's and non pro Lu's need more fuel to go at it n CDC board

Tony Gallagher did not write a positive article on Luongo. He used positive negativism yet again in his article. Tony Gallagher cannot practice simple praise for THE best athlete to come around. He has to spew poison, even in praise.

I pitty Tony's kids.

Posted Image

#26 VMR

VMR

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:33 AM

Strombone@strombone1

Wow bud @NotBobbyLu I thought for sur I'd be the first to know if you got traded. How do no trade clauses work btw? Cuz I'm confused?

They are my team!
Go Canucks Go!

Posted Image
Thank you VC!!!!!

#27 Li'l Fra

Li'l Fra

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:33 AM

Thank god Gillis is pouring some water on this fire.

We've had a couple of AMAZING years with this franchise. It's been crazy.

Now we hit a couple bumps in the road, if you can call having two all-star calibre goalies a problem, and half the fan base is already kicking the greatest goalie we've ever had out the door.

Where is the clarity? What did we have before Luongo? Do people really not remember the years of goaltending futility around here?

You're only ever one knee jerk trade away from being one of the have-nots again.

And...Luongo is underpaid with a cap hit at $5.3 million per year. Who cares what his salary actually is? That's a great deal for a great goalie. There are out clauses in the contract and ways of dealing with the length of it.

Edited by Li'l Fra, 01 June 2012 - 09:34 AM.

#28 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,209 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:11 PM

Luongo gives us a better chance to win the Cup in the next 2, 3 and maybe even 5 years than Schneider.

That is all that matters. If anyone's going, it's Schneider, case closed. If MG decides to trade Luongo over Schneider this team won't see a cup for another 5+ years and you can quote me on that.
Posted Image

#29 NLluvitorleaveit

NLluvitorleaveit

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:41 PM

I don't dislike Luongo and here's a pic to prove it.Plus its for all the luo supporters.So heres giving the devil his due.lolPosted Image

Posted Image

#30 dorrcoq

dorrcoq

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:42 PM

Amazing how many people now think Gallagher knows what he's talking about when the point of his article aligns with their own feelings/thoughts.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.