The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Should Keep Luongo and Trade Schneider - Article

Velleman

"The Vancouver Canucks are right in the middle of one of the most interesting goaltending storylines to hit the National Hockey League post-lockout. Over the last two seasons, Cory Schneider and Roberto Luongo formed one of the most dominating goaltending tandems in the league. One the one hand, having two goaltenders that are capable of starting in the NHL is a great luxury. On the other hand, the Canucks are sitting with goaltenders that, if traded, could certainly bring in assets to benefit the team in both the short and long term.

After Alain Vigneault decided to start Cory Schneider in games three, four and five of the first round in these past playoffs, most people jumped to the logical conclusion that Roberto Luongo’s time in Vancouver was done. The thought was that Roberto had been replaced by a younger and arguably better goaltender. Immediately, message boards exploded with speculation that Roberto would be traded to Toronto, Tampa Bay, New Jersey, Columbus or Florida. Months later, fans still do not have their answer to this conundrum as the Canucks organization has remained incredibly tight lipped.

Much to the chagrin of many Canuck fans, Roberto Luongo is not going to fetch the team a massive bounty in a trade. Luongo’s age, contract and the feeling that the Canucks ‘need’ to move him all factor in to lower his trade value. Regardless of the contract's structure, which may indicate that Roberto only intends on playing another five to six seasons, not many teams are going to part with much to acquire a goaltender locked in for the next ten years. The most logical trading partner for the Canucks when it comes to a potential Luongo deal is arguably the Toronto Maple Leafs. Still, the Leafs would not want to part with much to take on Luongo and his massive contract. To all fans saying Luongo is worth Gardiner and the fifth overall pick, unfortunately that is not the case.

With all of the Luongo talk, many people seem to have forgotten the prospect of trading Cory Schneider. Schneider, unlike Luongo, would be worth something along the lines of a young NHL player like Luke Schenn and a top-10 draft pick. Schneider’s youth, pedigree and athletic ability have many general managers absolutely drooling.

Mike Gillis recently expressed his interest in making the Canucks a younger team. With Eddie Lack, a goaltender regarded as one of the best stoppers currently outside the NHL, waiting in the wings, would it not make sense for the Canucks to at least consider trading Schneider for a package that would bring in a top-10 draft pick and a good, young roster player? The Canucks’ window to win a Stanley Cup right now begins and ends with the Sedin twins. At worst, Roberto Luongo can carry the team through that window; at best, he can be a key contributor.

If trading Schneider could bring in a young piece like a Griffin Reinhart, an Alex Galchenyuk, a Morgan Rielly, a Radek Faksa or a Filip Forsberg, would it not be at least worth considering? The top-10 in this years draft is incredibly strong at center and on defense. It just so happens that those two areas are where the Canucks have their greatest need. Add to that a player like a Luke Schenn and you have yourself the basis of a great future for the Canucks. If Eddie Lack is truly as good as the Canucks, and the scouting world, believe him to be, trading Schneider should definitely be an option Mike Gillis is considering."

http://www.canucks101.com/2012/06/15/vancouver-canucks-should-trade-cory-schneider-and-keep-roberto-luongo/

Found this article which pretty much advocates a lot of what I've been saying for a while. If we can trade Schneider for a package that better suits this team today and in five years that would be much better. If we trade Lui, we'll probably have to take back some salary. If we trade Schneider, we can get younger pieces. Luongo is going to be good for the next 4-5 years. Let him groom Eddie Lack and then have Lack take over when Luongo leaves Vancouver.....the right way.

I get that Luongo is probably the one who is going to be traded....but I feel like there may be a better opportunity out there.

Thoughts?

Still risky,

Schenn for Schneider...no way! Add in a young prospect that may not be able to handle the NHL for a couple years and you have given up a potential star goalie for a struglling D man and a no-show prospect while the Sedins age a couple more years.

They might trade schneider, but I believe " the team" is more comfortable and trusts in Schneider more ! He also fits into the younger gategory....would have to be blockbuster and team changing for MG to include Schneider in a deal.

Honestly, I'm a Schneider fan, but if we ended up keeping Lou, I wouldnt be that upset either. They're both amazing goaltenders; I'm just sorta out of patience with Lou, which is Ironic because this year really wasnt his fault...same with the Stanley Cup Finals.

I have been saying the Canucks will trade Schneider and keep Luongo all along this so called "goalie controversy".

Obviously I don't have any inside info on this situation but it just makes more sense when you take every thing into account, including but not limited to Luongo's NTC, Schneider's lack of NTC and the potential return for Schneider.

I still think the Canucks will keep Luongo and trade Schneider. CBJ would pay a king's ransom for Schneider.

Guess we will all find out very soon.

It's riskier to rely on Schneider to play 60 games (double what he's ever played before) than Luongo to turn out another 30 win season which we all know he's capable of.

It's riskier to rely on Schneider to somehow go on a magical cup run in the playoffs when he's got a career playoff record of 1 win and has nothing to draw back upon in terms of experience.

It's riskier to even have Lack as our backup in either situation when he's never played an NHL game before.

Canucks should try and keep both goalies, if not trade Schneider for a solid defenceman who can play upwards of 20 minutes and find a backup in the UFA market.

At this point trading Cory makes most sense, but if your looking at the future then trading Luongo makes more sense. The only problem here is the fans and media because we want a cup NOW and not later.

That is why trading Schneider would make more sense because we would get a whole lot more in return. Trade Luongo would still get you a solid return but by trading Cory you get a little bit better return.

For Luongo I would expect Top 4 D, Bottom 6 Forward, prospect, 1st Round Pick (23-30).

For Schneider I would expect Top 6 Forward, Bottom 2 D (Bryan Allen type), Prospect, 1st Round Pick (Top 15), 3rd Round Pick.

If we want a cup within the next 3-4 years, then trading Schneider would give us the best chance at that.

At this point trading Cory makes most sense, but if your looking at the future then trading Luongo makes more sense. The only problem here is the fans and media because we want a cup NOW and not later.

That is why trading Schneider would make more sense because we would get a whole lot more in return. Trade Luongo would still get you a solid return but by trading Cory you get a little bit better return.

For Luongo I would expect Top 4 D, Bottom 6 Forward, prospect, 1st Round Pick (23-30).

For Schneider I would expect Top 6 Forward, Bottom 2 D (Bryan Allen type), Prospect, 1st Round Pick (Top 15), 3rd Round Pick.

If we want a cup within the next 3-4 years, then trading Schneider would give us the best chance at that.

Archived