The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumours/Reports] Official Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep it all here please)

Media reports. From Iain McIntyre-National Post:

"Florida manager Dale Tallon, while not speaking specifically about Luongo or the Canucks, said teams are trying to raid the Panthers' stockpile of excellent prospects, including third-overall picks Jonathan Huberdeau and Erik Gudbranson and other first-rounders Nick Bjugstad and Quinton Howden."

From Yahoo.com sports:

"They've been grooming Jacob Markstrom as the eventual starter; and while another season in the AHL is a little disconcerting, the Panthers claim it's just to see him handle a full campaign. That, and GM Dale Tallon has said he's not parting with top prospects for Luongo."

Now, I realize that not all media reports are accurate, but I'd hardly say that there is "zero foundation" to them.

Rebuilding?

The were the third seed last season. They lost out to the eventual Eastern champions on the strength of two overtime goals, both of which might have been stopped by a better goalkeeper.

Florida managed the third seed mainly because they play in a weak division. However, going into next season with status qou at the goaltending position is a big gamble, since Tampa Bay or Washington could supplant them and win the division. 2nd place in the southeast could easily have a team on the outside looking in when the playoffs roll around.

Tallon and Yzerman may both claim to be comfortable with their respective goaltending situations, but it's a smokescreen. They're about as comfortable as Charlie Sheen's PR rep.

Florida is still in rebuilding mode. Last season they overachieved which is why they won their division. They've now lost Garrison and Samuelsson and added who? JF Jacques and Filip Kuba to 1 and 2 year contracts? They're waiting on their young guys to make it - they're surely still in rebuilding mode. Tallon has even said in interviews that he didn't expect the team to have this much success this early, but hey, he'll take it.

But yes, if they don't win the division they certainly could be 2nd place and on the outside looking in.

"They've been grooming Jacob Markstrom as the eventual starter; and while another season in the AHL is a little disconcerting, the Panthers claim it's just to see him handle a full campaign. That, and GM Dale Tallon has said he's not parting with top prospects for Luongo."

I see his system now:

1) Make up Luongo rumor in head

2) Google to see if it works under the cap for both teams

IF it does:

3) Hearing Luongo to Team X for Player Y

IF it doesn't:

3) Say source wasn't cear

then

4) Post to twitter.

I had my doubts about this hockeyinsiderrr fellow from the beginning but decided to give him a follow on twitter a few days ago for the heck of it.

TBH, he called several trades right down to the exact players many hours and in some cases days before they actually happened.

Archived