The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexandre Mallet Talk

Samk

Considering he is an "almost ready" prospect drafted by the Canucks, I wonder what are his chances of making the Canucks next season?

Learning his trade with Lapierre mentoring him might not be a bad idea. Plus, having someone for backup faceoff duty on the 4th line is always a bonus.

Line of Volpatti(or other enforcer)-Lapierre-Mallet?

Considering he is an "almost ready" prospect drafted by the Canucks, I wonder what are his chances of making the Canucks next season?

Learning his trade with Lapierre mentoring him might not be a bad idea. Plus, having someone for backup faceoff duty on the 4th line is always a bonus.

Line of Volpatti(or other enforcer)-Lapierre-Mallet?

I think he'll challenge for a spot starting in 2014 or 2015. His offensive game is still developing and you don't want to hurt that part of his game. Weise is doing a good job so far in that spot IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

Boy oh boy, this guy sure isn't setting the world on fire. He looked promising when we drafted him, but it has just not gone well for him since. Any ideas why??

He was just starting to get some consistency at the ECHL level, and then they brought him up to the Wolves and played him on the fourth line. Didn't make sense.

This guy needs to spend the season in the ECHL, have a good summer of training, and make the Wolves next season.

Some players need the ECHL as a stepping stone just to get their confidence up. The AHL is a big jump up from the Q.

Boy oh boy, this guy sure isn't setting the world on fire. He looked promising when we drafted him, but it has just not gone well for him since. Any ideas why??

Probably because he was a man dominating in a boy's league for only last season. Every year before that he put up terrible numbers for anyone expecting to get drafted, much less a top 60 pick. Some thought he was a late bloomer, but I think his lack of success in the AHL is really more indicative of him having one good season that overestimated his abilities

Probably because he was a man dominating in a boy's league for only last season. Every year before that he put up terrible numbers for anyone expecting to get drafted, much less a top 60 pick. Some thought he was a late bloomer, but I think his lack of success in the AHL is really more indicative of him having one good season that overestimated his abilities

No, he's a late bloomer. Not many players can step from the CHL to AHL and play with no change in production. He went from being a top line, relied-upon player to a 4th line rookie. He's not going to step in and score a lot, that's not what's expected either, we want him to be a bottom 6 role player and were developing him that way.

No, he's a late bloomer. Not many players can step from the CHL to AHL and play with no change in production. He went from being a top line, relied-upon player to a 4th line rookie. He's not going to step in and score a lot, that's not what's expected either, we want him to be a bottom 6 role player and were developing him that way.

change in production is expected, but a complete dropoff? He has 1 AHL point all season.

I'm crying over spilled milk here but this thread really should have been Damon Severson or Devin Shore talk. Craig Button called this a bad pick. I think he was probably right.

I thought Severson would've been a great choice at the time and still do. 2 way defender that could help shore up a defensive prospect pool that is looking thin after Corrado, even before McNally's incident

Gillis has shown a knack for finding diamond in the rough defenders for free. I'm not too worried about our D prospects.

Just look at our latest find in McEneny. He's looking like he could be a great pickup, and basically a free 3rd or 4th round pick.

Gillis has shown a knack for finding diamond in the rough defenders for free. I'm not too worried about our D prospects.

Just look at our latest find in McEneny. He's looking like he could be a great pickup, and basically a free 3rd or 4th round pick.

A knack? his only success story so far is Tanev

McEneny is having a good year but how much of that is due to him being on a stacked team in a scoring league? Couple that with his injury history and he is far from a sure thing

change in production is expected, but a complete dropoff? He has 1 AHL point all season.

He's been on the 4th line. In a top 6 role then yes worry, but he is playing 6 minutes a night, and isn't even playing every game.

I'm crying over spilled milk here but this thread really should have been Damon Severson or Devin Shore talk. Craig Button called this a bad pick. I think he was probably right.

Severson is interesting because he plays for Kelowna.

But meh, I would rather have grabbed Scott Kosmachuk, Daniil Zharkov, Shayne Gostisbehere or Adam Pelech.

He's been on the 4th line. In a top 6 role then yes worry, but he is playing 6 minutes a night, and isn't even playing every game.

so its okay then to be a marginal AHL player? Not his fault for not pushing for a bigger role, or even drawing into the lineup?

I thought Severson would've been a great choice at the time and still do. 2 way defender that could help shore up a defensive prospect pool that is looking thin after Corrado, even before McNally's incident

Yeah, at the time I thought Severson was the obvious mainstream choice, with Shore being a likely Gillis 'hipster' type choice. Mallet threw me for a loop.

I don't know who these persuasive people are Gillis is listening to that keep talking him into bad choices out of the 'Q' year after year with the same results, but Gillis really needs to stop listening to them and wasting valuable draft picks.

Connaution, Corrado, Andersson, Tommernes, McEneny?

Even Price and McNally don't look too bad.

We have alot of depth in the defender pool. And as DeNiro said we have done a pretty good job signing prospect defenders, we have seen it in the past with Tanev, McEneny, aswell as Oberg and Erixon who were pretty regarded at the time.

so its okay then to be a marginal AHL player? Not his fault for not pushing for a bigger role, or even drawing into the lineup?

It's his first year, he isn't getting much time to play and even if he was playing well Arniel wouldn't move him up. He has been pretty good in the ECHL.

Give it time, he is a late bloomer, we will see next year where he is at. And that will likely be in a top 9 role with the Wolves.

Connaution, Corrado, Andersson, Tommernes, McEneny?

Even Price and McNally don't look too bad.

We have alot of depth in the defender pool. And as DeNiro said we have done a pretty good job signing prospect defenders, we have seen it in the past with Tanev, McEneny, aswell as Oberg and Erixon who were pretty regarded at the time.

regarded at the time means they aren't doing anything important now.

Aside from corrado, none of those guys project as top 4 defenders, connauton would be better suited playing forward with how lost he gets in his zone. Andersson is the opposite, his offensive upside is quite questionable but good in his own zone. Tomerness is already 23, and yet to have a breakout year

Aside from corrado, none of those guys project as top 4 defenders, connauton would be better suited playing forward with how lost he gets in his zone. Andersson is the opposite, his offensive upside is quite questionable but good in his own zone. Tomerness is already 23, and yet to have a breakout year

Severson is regarded as a good prospect now, could be nothing in the future, that's the way it is with all prospects.

Andersson has the chops to be a 2nd pair guy, you don't need offense, he brings reliability and good size. Offensive game is still developing.

Tommernes has been playing top minutes in the SEL all year. He has an all round game, and is a late bloomer, a great 7th round pick IMO and has top 4 upside if things go well.

We will get a better look at him next season.

Connaution is more likely a 4-5.

McEneny looks good too, has size, plays top minutes and in every situation.

Plus we don't need defensive prospects really, we have Tanev and the rest of our blueline is locked up long term, Edler will be here for awhile. And there are more drafts upcoming.

And we also never touched on McNally or Price.

It's spilled milk again. but might it not have been a better idea to leave Connauton to develop slowly for three more years under Andy Murray at Western Michigan? He would just be turning pro now with a few more years with which to learn how to play defense.

Archived