The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks with lots of money to spend but who to buy.?

Sully2Cool

From the various rumors I've heard, I believe there will be more than a few of the top UFA's that will take their time over the course of several days beyond July 1st to make their decision - Suter, Doan, Brodeur.

I fully expect that the Canucks will take their hardest UFA run at Doan.

FWIW, I also have a strong feeling that Garrison will leave money on the table and sign with the Canucks.

I really hope we will all be pleasantly surprised tomorrow. C'mon Gillis, get'er done.

Theres some guys the Canucks should take a look at..I doubt they are going for anybody high end, but a lot of project guys to fill in the roster spots. heres some names

Kurtis Foster - this guy was blossoming in Minnesota until he broke his fibula on an icing call. He put up pretty good numbers in his stint in Tampa but struggled in Edmonton. The reasons why hes appealing? Hes 6'4, right handed, mobile, and has an absolute cannon of a shot..and he probably would be lucky to be getting an offer north of 1.5 million. Hes cheap and could be used on the pp and could play some decent minutes

Gilbert Brule - can play all forward positions, been a big fan of this guy since he was a giant, gritty, has some touch but had a lot bad luck. I think him in a Canucks uniform in his hometown will help him achieve his potential. Id definetely have this guy on the 3rd line or even some comptetition for Mason Raymond. Excellent in the shootout as well.

David Moss - I looked at NHL numbers and can't believe this guy was a UFA. This guy would be an excellent addition in our roster, 6'3, plays hard, didnt play much last year but I've seen this kid play and I think hes got some potential..his game is kind of in the mold of Chris Higgins. and his salary demands wouldn't be a lot over 2 million. Add to the fact hes very involved in teh community and he seems like hes got a lot of the intangibles that MG likes. Could be a possibility

Well we agree about Raymond, and baseball. As per my hockey knowledge, I got years on you home boy.

Brule has bounced around the league, playing 4th line wherever he lands. - Borderline AHLer

Moss - if Calgary doesn't want him, why do we?

And projects like these on a team that is supposed to be competitive is counter intuitive. Why waste the cap space and energy trying to teach a player to play at a higher level when you already have competent players.

Garrison for 2nd pairing, sign Daniel Winnik for 3rd line wing? (trade Raymond with Lu)

Twins - Booth

Burr - Kes - Hansen

Winnik - Lapierre - Higgins

I would be happy with that as a start, but if bigger moves come, then bring it on M.G.!

Well we agree about Raymond, and baseball. As per my hockey knowledge, I got years on you home boy.

Brule has bounced around the league, playing 4th line wherever he lands. - Borderline AHLer

Moss - if Calgary doesn't want him, why do we?

And projects like these on a team that is supposed to be competitive is counter intuitive. Why waste the cap space and energy trying to teach a player to play at a higher level when you already have competent players.

I can't believe people want Garrison and would be OK with 5 million plus!

Not to rehash bad feelings but in what world does that make sense? It just makes Ehrhoff's 4 million cap hit look that much better and it makes you wonder how Gillis couldn't get that done!

I know many were hurt by Ehrhoff's comments when he signed in Buffalo but to lose such a good defenseman for such a good cap hit is crazy. Why couldn't everyone's golden boy get that done? Now people want him to replace Hoff with an inferior player for more cap hit than Ehrhoff? Insanity!

Archived