Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Canucks with lots of money to spend but who to buy.?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
87 replies to this topic

#61 Fozzy

Fozzy

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:16 AM

I can see Gillis taking a gamble on Mueller. He seems to like the projects, coming off injury type players in hope they can fulfil their potential.A RW for Kesler when he gets back. $2 million cap hit last contract but had injuries, needs to prove himself.

Wouldn't mind seeing Garrison here for the right cap hit. Bomb of a shot which would help our PP.

#62 Wonderine

Wonderine

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:38 AM

I'm only expecting a couple minor signings(Sturm). Gillis usually surprises when you don't expect much.

Jordin Tootoo 3yrs/5m.

This would be an awesome addition to Nucks. Jordin has long since left his baggage behind and this kid can scrap with the best of them. He is a powder keg on D and a pain in the Offensive zone. He has a soft touch as well when it comes to passing. I would like to see this but $5 M I don't know if it is too much? :)

:canucks: NUFF SAID :canucks:

#63 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,204 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:48 AM

Ideally we sign Garrison for 4 million, a 3rd line center for 2-3 million, trade Ballard for picks and sign Suter for 6 million with a bit of wiggle room.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Higgins
Raymond - McClement - Hansen
Malhotra - Lapierre - Kassian
Bitz

Edler - Suter
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Garrison - Salo

Luongo
Schneider

Cup winning defence right there and enough offensive depth to get us deep in the playoffs.
Posted Image

#64 Kryten

Kryten

Aladdin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,778 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:04 AM

I don't want to be captain buzzkill but some of these proposals are just awful.

If Suter signs here, Edler is gone.

Garrison will need to sign a contract at or below the 4 million mark to get signed.

Tootoo is a player I like, I just don't know how he would like battling for a roster spot this year like he was last year in Nashville. I see him going to a team that has a legitimate use for him. He is a fourth-line right winger (those arguing that he should replace Volpatti clearly aren't paying enough attention to who plays which wing) and while I do like him, I am still curious as to the situation with Pinizotto. Is he healthy? Is he coming back? Is Kassian going to start on the second line or the fourth? Is Jensen NHL ready, and will that influence his placement? Too many questions surrounding that position to be answered pre-camp.

Mueller, while talented, has only played 100 games since September of '09. In my mind, his lack of durability (especially with how severe his most current concussion was) puts him at too great of risk to sign. We need durability for success in the playoffs. If all else fails (our prospects won't cut it) and he is healthy and available, then maybe. Truly a last resort type move though.

Ballard is more than likely going to be a Canuck for a while so just get used to putting him in your hypothetical line-ups.

The only real way for us to land a top-four, right-handed defenceman is via trade, something Gillis will take his time to complete (seems to be a few people on here that are thinking that teams are going to give up the goods for our scraps, that is how a Leafs fan thinks).

There really isn't much the current FA's can do for us except for a select few who happen to have some pretty big IF's attached to their names. I don't expect much in signings, it's the possible trades that have me curious.
Posted Image

#65 skyfall

skyfall

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:46 AM

The NHL needs mid level exceptions and trade exceptions like the NBA to help teams sign good players without having to worry about the cap. NBA free agency is more exciting right now. They need to find a way to help strong teams find an easier way to become an elite team like powerhouses in the past to give them the ability to sign the 2-3 more good players they need. Or else it's gonna be mediocre hockey also known as parity.

#66 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:46 AM

"Realistically, Brodeur, because of his playing style, may only work in New Jersey." What?

Anyhow, you can always count on Botchford for the half empty story.

Two healthy reliable centers....assuming he's excluding Manny Malhotra, and ironic that The Province would underestimate Schroeder after being the biggest drama-makers and over-raters of the rookie Hodgson.

Need two defensemen - if we don't consider Tanev, Alberts or Connauton possibilites - who are all improving - and on the UFA market, there are more viable defenseman available than any other position, while having as good a chance as anyone of signing Garrison for reasonable money. Missing out on Schultz could also turn out to be a blessing. Sign two guys and the Canucks once again have 8 or 9 guys who would be top 6 on almost any other team.

All that money to spend and really only three "needs", none terribly pressing - a third line center, a mid range right winger and a mid range blueliner - if either of the latter can be top 4 or top 6, all the better. Add the trade value of Luongo - lots of depth on the horizon.

Your a lot more confident than I as I see other rivals beefing up their teams. This rosters pressing needs are more serious than you suggest;
1) Right side top 4 dman: Has to have an offensive upside and take the pressure off of Bieksa. Garrison sounds good. Allen an option.
2) Top six left winger: You mention RW so you must think Boothe cannot do the job. I am more concerned about the left side.
3) 3rd line center: I don't see Manny or Lapierre filling that role especially with Kesler gone until X-Mass. Schroeder is a gamble.
4) Bottom Six: This group although better than two years ago is still not big enough and frankly not mean enough.

The absolute key to me is signing that right side dman. If that can be done with a UFA it allows MG to trade Lou for a top six forward and add-ons.

#67 Ektisa

Ektisa

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:48 AM

I couldn't agree more with Pomorick on this, "Why even have prospects if you never audition them." Whatever positive things you can say about coach V the one thing he really sucks at is giving young guys a chance; can you say Michael Grabner?
Is this Schultz fellow really that much better than Tanev, Connauton, or Sauve? He did his time at the university level. As Bieksa's Fault pointed out, he's never played an NHL game.

Come on coach, let's actually develop some players!

#68 thundernuts

thundernuts

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:59 AM

I can't believe people want Garrison and would be OK with 5 million plus!

Not to rehash bad feelings but in what world does that make sense? It just makes Ehrhoff's 4 million cap hit look that much better and it makes you wonder how Gillis couldn't get that done!

I know many were hurt by Ehrhoff's comments when he signed in Buffalo but to lose such a good defenseman for such a good cap hit is crazy. Why couldn't everyone's golden boy get that done? Now people want him to replace Hoff with an inferior player for more cap hit than Ehrhoff? Insanity!

Erhoff had 5 goals last season.

BTW, Aaron Rome had 4 goals in about 20 less games played.
Posted Image

#69 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:00 AM

Tootoo lives in Kelowna in the summer, so I imagine he signs with the Oilers.
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#70 jimmyking8888

jimmyking8888

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:11 AM

TSN 's player O.Jokiken and Hudler , Kuba is rated top 10. LOL. Lots of money, but mostly garbage on the market.

#71 AnInconvenienceBrah

AnInconvenienceBrah

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:13 AM

this is a bad pool of FA, not expecting much or anything.

#72 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:16 AM

Ideally: doan and suter.

Realistically: garrison and a reclamation project at forward.

#73 Legend Killer

Legend Killer

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:21 AM

My biggest want on our team is Prust.
Posted Image
For the first time in a long time.. the future looks bright..

#74 Sanj

Sanj

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:22 AM

Biggest signing I see is Garrison.

Parise/Suter are definitely out of the question.

Wouldn't mind Whitney/Doan though.

Again, if Lou gets traded it could affect our line up quite a bit.

I dont see how, I mean it is unlikely but not definitely out of the question. When Sundin became available MG made a move for him....he could easily throw money at Suter or even Parise

#75 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:01 AM

I dont see how, I mean it is unlikely but not definitely out of the question. When Sundin became available MG made a move for him....he could easily throw money at Suter or even Parise

Truth is we need a big signing - especially on D. We have stars on the forward roster, but Sedins window blah blah blah. Need a star D. One of those ridiculous large contracts ...

Now is when we can get a player without subtracting in a trade ...

#76 Sanj

Sanj

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:15 AM

Truth is we need a big signing - especially on D. We have stars on the forward roster, but Sedins window blah blah blah. Need a star D. One of those ridiculous large contracts ...

Now is when we can get a player without subtracting in a trade ...

I agree, I hope MG has the guts to throw money at Suter, at least make a pitch. I would be happy to find out we lost out but knowing we at least attempted to land him.

#77 bd71

bd71

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:15 AM

Erhoff had 5 goals last season.

BTW, Aaron Rome had 4 goals in about 20 less games played.

Same point totals as Garrison in 11 less games in a very weak year for Ehrhoff and a far and away career year for Garrison. Goals were off for the Hoff but when healthy he was really good.

#78 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,363 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:16 AM

Kuba and Garrison to solidify our right side on defense.

Rome and Salo hit the road.

Subbancopy.jpg

#79 hockeyking

hockeyking

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:37 AM

If he signs a Sturm like player again..

He got lucky once with getting rid of a player with zero value, it wont happen again.

or did he get unlucky for him being a bust

#80 bluesman60

bluesman60

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:55 AM

After all the whining about Luongo's contract, I also don't expect MG to go all out with the FA route. Why overpay and take a bad contract when you can be more selective via the trade route.
The reason for 'inconsistency' by Beiksa and Edler was because they were paired together. Unless you have a complete dman like Weber, you have to put a stay at home dman with either of those guys to hang back when those guys are up on the play in an offensive role. That is why the Beiksa/Hamhuis pairing has been so sucessful....Hamhuis plays his role very well.
I would be happy to see MG get a dman like that to pair with Edler today. At least then we would have a top 4 that is solid.
I just don't see MG being stupid enough to squander the payroll to get a Parise or Sutor. If he goes out and offers a bad contract, it will work its way through the whole team payroll and you will have even an average player wanting a huge raise when their contract is up.
If we are going to improve the team it will most likely be when Luongo is traded. Free agency will only provide depth.

#81 falcon45ca

falcon45ca

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:56 AM

Just letting you know, Schultz hasn't played an NHL game yet...

Settle down. I'd be surprised if he improves the Oilers even. You all read into the hype so much. Sounds like Connauton so far.

That, and the kid is 6'1 and 163 lbs at the age of 22. This boy is gonna crumple like an empty beer can when he gets hit by men. He's even smaller than Nuge, which I didn't think was possible. Almost every player on our team outweighs this fly by 40-50 lbs, it's going to be hilarious watching Schultz trying to knock them off the puck.

Honestly, if he sneezes he might collapse a lung.

#82 ilovekevinbieksa

ilovekevinbieksa

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:22 PM

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Higgins
Too Too - Bozak - Hansen
Winnik - Lapierre - Kassian

Edler- Garrison
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Hjarmalsson - Gardiner

Schneider
Conklin

I still don't think Garrison is worth 5 million... maybe 3-4 million.
We don't know if he could be breaking out or just a one hit wonder.
Posted Image (One duplicate gif removed by mod to meet size limitations)

#83 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,776 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:55 PM

Jason Arnott, Sheldon Souray, maybe Garrison and get some young talent for Luongo.

Would love Doan?

#84 Danthecanucksfan

Danthecanucksfan

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:55 PM

there isn't much left, looks like nobody wants to come to vancouver

#85 Bingo Chili

Bingo Chili

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:15 PM

Quinn in Gillis out

#86 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,180 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:28 PM

this is a bad pool of FA, not expecting much or anything.

Of course. Half the league is signed to a decade long contract.
Posted Image

#87 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,776 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:45 PM

Yes Doan #1 target.

No comments on Arnott as a veteran who can play RW, and fill in as centre while Kesler is out?

6'5" 225 lbs, a cup ring and a thousand points...

How about JJ, moves like Jagr???

Ideally: doan and suter.

Realistically: garrison and a reclamation project at forward.

LW??? Left Frickin Wing??? :picard:

http://canucks.nhl.c....htm?id=8471266

http://canucks.nhl.c....htm?id=8470274

http://canucks.nhl.c....htm?id=8470358

http://canucks.nhl.c....htm?id=8471664

http://canucks.nhl.c....htm?id=8467875

http://canucks.nhl.c....htm?id=8476482

Booth is a LW, Burrows, Higgins, Danny, Raymond and our best prospect Jensen also. We have left wings coming out of our arse... Why do you think we gave up the farm to get Kassian? Hansen was #1 on our depth chart on the right side since we traded Samuelsson..

Your a lot more confident than I as I see other rivals beefing up their teams. This rosters pressing needs are more serious than you suggest;
1) Right side top 4 dman: Has to have an offensive upside and take the pressure off of Bieksa. Garrison sounds good. Allen an option.
2) Top six left winger: You mention RW so you must think Boothe cannot do the job. I am more concerned about the left side.
3) 3rd line center: I don't see Manny or Lapierre filling that role especially with Kesler gone until X-Mass. Schroeder is a gamble.
4) Bottom Six: This group although better than two years ago is still not big enough and frankly not mean enough.

The absolute key to me is signing that right side dman. If that can be done with a UFA it allows MG to trade Lou for a top six forward and add-ons.

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 01 July 2012 - 08:47 PM.

#88 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,180 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:51 PM

or did he get unlucky for him being a bust

I don't think it was hard to see he was probably going to be a bust. I wasn't overly impressed with the signing because he was just another redundant player on this team
Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.