The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Poll] Where do you stand on our 3rd line center vacancy?

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third Line Center Vacancy  

246 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

How does a 0.5769 ppg in the AHL sound? That's what Cody was and he did not try and become a better 2 way player in the process. While Schroeder worked on his 2 way game all last year. It wasn't until he was doing really good defensively that he started focusing back on offence. So for over half of the season last year he was playing way more defensively minded. To prove my point Cody was a -12 in his AHL games, while Schroeder is an even 0 (This year he was a +8 like I said he is way better defensively than Cody ever was)

I'm not sure what Cody Hodgson has to do with Schroeder, Kass. Didn't mention him.

All I'm saying is that Schroeder's offensive output in Chicago isn't what would be expected of a 1st round draft pick after 150 AHL games. He is improving, especially defensively, but I don't see him as a 3 centre checking the other team's big, #1 guy (Thornton, Getzlaf, etc.). I don't want to say he is too small for the 3 job, but, the odds are stacked against him.

I do agree with your assessment of Hodgson's defensive abilities, though. They are poor.

:towel::canucks:

Well you are bringing up stats from a center in our system who was drafted in the first round. So I thought I would show you someone else who has the exact same situation. They have equal stats and I would go as far in saying that Schroeder's are better.

Cody seemed to manage fine playing 3rd line C for us, he was fan favourite and was in the running for getting a Calder nomination.

I think that we could get something done through a trade, or signing. But if that isn't an option Lappy can play there, he doesn't exactly have an incredible offensive game, but he is fast, plays physical, and isn't the worst on face-offs.

Assuming no new players are acquired: If Malhotra returns to pre injury performance or close to he should get it. Otherwise, I'd make Higgins the regular 3rd line center and see if he can make a go of it with Hansen and (hopefully) Jansen. Lapierre should only be used sparingly in that role. While his play in the playoffs is noteworthy the guy just doesn't produce enough to warrant the role in the regular season.

Archived