Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * - - 4 votes

Fan base already getting sentimental over Luongo

Discussion

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
157 replies to this topic

#1 six-0h-four-

six-0h-four-

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:08 AM

With the only certainty about Luongo's future being that it won't be as a Canuck, it seems the Vancouver fan base has already shifted its feelings about their six year number one goaltender. A good portion of the fan base has been torching Luongo for the past few seasons... some of that does fall on his shoulders but definitely not all of it deserved.

After losing to the eventual Stanley Cup champion Los Angeles Kings in the first round, and the emergence of Schneider as a shoe in for the number one position, it became clear that there was not room for two. Soon after the news came that Luongo had asked for a trade, and months later his first official interview on CFOX which cleared some misconceptions.

Slowly throughout the summer, it seems that much of the fan base that was anti-Luongo has shifted into sentiment, knowing that it was a certainty Bobby Lu would not be coming back. Frankly I'm surprised that it started happening this quickly, but I am definitely happy that it has. No matter which side of the fence you have been on throughout the years, nobody can question this man's work ethic and integrity. He has without a doubt put six solid years of work in for this organization; In a place where, frankly, goaltenders are not treated virtuously.

He is arguably this club's best goalie of all-time, (Kirk Mclean may have something to say about that) and he has taken this whole situation with grace and dignity. In the years to come, I believe Luongo will be remembered for these very qualities, and will one day be heading to the rafters in Rogers Arena. (As in the Ring of Honour) Although he did not get this market a much needed Stanley Cup, he did get us close. He brought us an Olympic Gold Medal which no Canuck goalie has ever done. And last but not least he gave us solidity at the back end, which this franchise had not had for many years.

Edited by six-0h-four-, 07 July 2012 - 11:27 AM.

Follow me @CurtisEastman on Twitter.

#2 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:21 AM

That's true.... he did give us the luxury we took for granted for the past six years that other teams would love to have

The good news is lui can be run out of town and now schneids can provide us with that luxury for the foreseeable future!
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#3 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:31 AM

I hate him
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#4 John.Tallhouse

John.Tallhouse

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:32 AM

:picard: all these topics are depressing, i just want him to leave so we can all shut up about it..
Posted Image

#5 2013's The Charm

2013's The Charm

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:37 AM

I hate him

That's pathetic.

#6 RBCanucks

RBCanucks

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:37 AM

I have not taken him for granted. I feel that he should continue playing here even if it means splitting games with Schneider. He's the best goaltender we have ever had and it will be a travesty to lose him. I have a feeling that most Canuck fans that are flaming him are too young to remember back before we had him.

Schneider is great but he's only proven he can be brilliant in short stints. There is a huge difference between 35 and 65 games and down the stretch his brilliance will diminish as the season wears on him. Luongo may not be our clutch but he is our workhorse. He's always solid down the stretch even if he IS outplayed by Schneider. Schneider won't be able to keep it up over the long stretch. Splitting games is our best chance of winning a cup. I truly believe we won't win won without Luongo, even if Schneider might be the one to win it for us. It's an important distinction.

I have a feeling Schneider's terrible puckhandling and the general fatigue/wear down of a 60+ game season will catch up with him more than a lot of people are willing to admit. We need Luongo to continue playing a role on this team at least for another couple of season. We shouldn't hedge our bets just yet. We have both goaltenders signed, moving Luongo should not be a priority until Schneider's contract is due to end and he becomes a UFA.

There shouldn't be any rush to move Luongo (unless we are courting the very unlikely possibility of making room for Weber - and that is the ONLY situation where I think he should be moved right now and that to me is a 1 in a million).

2012-2013 Schneider 40; Luongo 42
2013-2014 Schneider 45; Luongo 37
2014-2015 Schneider 50; Luongo 32.

Then we can feel comfortable trading Luongo. It needs to be a slow process. Schneider may be our uncontested no. 1 come playoff time, but we need Luongo to take a huge chunk of the workload off of Schneider's shoulder. As I said those extra 20 or so games Schneider may end up playing (about the length of a playoff run) makes a HUGE difference down the stretch.

#7 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:43 AM

:picard: all these topics are depressing, i just want him to leave so we can all shut up about it..

it will never ever end. :lol:

#8 Nino

Nino

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:43 AM

It will be an early Xmas present for me when he is sent out of town but I hope that he will be able to regain his form when he is playing in another city with less pressure from the fans. I wish him the best and hope to see Lou and Cory fighting top dog in the league not the team. Lou if your reading this I'll help you pack and drive you to the airport.

#9 ABurrows14

ABurrows14

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:51 AM

I have not taken him for granted. I feel that he should continue playing here even if it means splitting games with Schneider. He's the best goaltender we have ever had and it will be a travesty to lose him. I have a feeling that most Canuck fans that are flaming him are too young to remember back before we had him.

Schneider is great but he's only proven he can be brilliant in short stints. There is a huge difference between 35 and 65 games and down the stretch his brilliance will diminish as the season wears on him. Luongo may not be our clutch but he is our workhorse. He's always solid down the stretch even if he IS outplayed by Schneider. Schneider won't be able to keep it up over the long stretch. Splitting games is our best chance of winning a cup. I truly believe we won't win won without Luongo, even if Schneider might be the one to win it for us. It's an important distinction.

I have a feeling Schneider's terrible puckhandling and the general fatigue/wear down of a 60+ game season will catch up with him more than a lot of people are willing to admit. We need Luongo to continue playing a role on this team at least for another couple of season. We shouldn't hedge our bets just yet. We have both goaltenders signed, moving Luongo should not be a priority until Schneider's contract is due to end and he becomes a UFA.

There shouldn't be any rush to move Luongo (unless we are courting the very unlikely possibility of making room for Weber - and that is the ONLY situation where I think he should be moved right now and that to me is a 1 in a million).

Then we can feel comfortable trading Luongo. It needs to be a slow process. Schneider may be our uncontested no. 1 come playoff time, but we need Luongo to take a huge chunk of the workload off of Schneider's shoulder. As I said those extra 20 or so games Schneider may end up playing (about the length of a playoff run) makes a HUGE difference down the stretch.

So Schnieder cant perform for a full season? Says who? You? Mr. Expert?

Wow you should be a GM in the NHL if you know so much

put a sock in it dude, go get a clean diaper and move on.

Wow, so tired of these whiny people not realizing that we have a superstar in Schnieder. When he hoists the cup in a nucks uni, I will bombard you with emails asking you if you still believe this garbage you are spewing.

You realize Schnieder has won and been a starter at every level right? He's played 60 plus in the AHL for numerous years right? Yes its not the NHL but clearly fitness and mental strength are not issues.

And how do you propose we find out. Play him 62 and lou 20? Wow, team first Lou won't go for that will he? "time to move on" lou can't handle that can he?

Then there is the cap issue and how much you're tying up in a backup...

None of your comments make any sense

Think deeper man.

Edited by ABurrows14, 07 July 2012 - 11:54 AM.

#10 D.Doughty

D.Doughty

Canucks Third-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:53 AM

I hate him

i hate you.

#11 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:56 AM

Yes, because that will put an end to it.
After a few days here, I am surprised half of you got the anti-bot question correct to register for this site.

#12 vkos

vkos

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:56 AM

I hate him

that's cause you're a ???? idiot. stop being in every thread i read

#13 kawasaki bomber

kawasaki bomber

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:59 AM

he did give us a luxury we never expected and one that every team in the NHL coveted but he also gave us the disdain of letting in 12 goals in 2 games against the blackhawks, and also his rants saying he basically wanted to be a hired gun for a team like Detroit with his "winning now" attitude, HAH! i would've love to see him fail and will enjoy it when he goes back to Flo or to the laughs... I won't miss him, I might miss his glove but not him

#14 Vapourstreak

Vapourstreak

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:01 PM

I hate him

There's so many other things to hate in the world.

#15 WL Canuck Fan

WL Canuck Fan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:03 PM

With the only certainty about Luongo's future being that it won't be as a Canuck, it seems the Vancouver fan base has already shifted its feelings about their six year number one goaltender. A good portion of the fan base has been torching Luongo for the past few seasons... some of that does fall on his shoulders but definitely not all of it deserved.

After losing to the eventual Stanley Cup champion Los Angeles Kings in the first round, and the emergence of Schneider as a shoe in for the number one position, it became clear that there was not room for two. Soon after the news came that Luongo had asked for a trade, and months later his first official interview on CFOX which cleared some misconceptions.

Slowly throughout the summer, it seems that much of the fan base that was anti-Luongo has shifted into sentiment, knowing that it was a certainty Bobby Lu would not be coming back. Frankly I'm surprised that it started happening this quickly, but I am definitely happy that it has. No matter which side of the fence you have been on throughout the years, nobody can question this man's work ethic and integrity. He has without a doubt put six solid years of work in for this organization; In a place where, frankly, goaltenders are not treated virtuously.

I am not sure I agree with the fact that a good portion of the fan base went from torching to sentimental. I say this because I think it would be wrong to assume that a vocal few represent a majority of anything.

For instance, it would be fair to say that the rioters of lore do not represent the sentiment of the majority. Nor do those who loudly and frequently say "trade Kesler, he's done", or "Juice for a bag of pucks", or "the Sedin's are soft".

They may be loud, and they may be controversial, and they may even feed our own frustration at times, but I do not believe they represent the majority of fans, or at the very least to assume or state that they do is an unfair assumption of facts not in evidence.
Sig too big.

#16 iamacanuck15

iamacanuck15

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:17 PM

Wow, so tired of these whiny people not realizing that we have a superstar in Schnieder. When he hoists the cup in a nucks uni, I will bombard you with emails asking you if you still believe this garbage you are spewing.

You realize Schnieder has won and been a starter at every level right? He's played 60 plus in the AHL for numerous years right? Yes its not the NHL but clearly fitness and mental strength are not issues.

And how do you propose we find out. Play him 62 and lou 20? Wow, team first Lou won't go for that will he? "time to move on" lou can't handle that can he?

Think deeper man.

And your's do???

Posted Image

#17 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:27 PM

To say outright that Schneider will not be able to keep it up over the long hall is without basis or forthought. Schneider is technically better, and thus more efficient in moving around the crease. I agree his puck handling is a weakness but not a huge deal. All in all, Schneider has shown his superiority and is an easier goalie to play in front of.
Unless you have facts to base Schneiders inability to play long into the season, Id keep such baseless summations to yourself.

#18 CodyHodgson's #1fan

CodyHodgson's #1fan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:37 PM

I will always be a Luongo fan, no matter what team he goes to, it makes me feel sick to see people hate him and say that he sucks and what not. I will always back him up and I feel that we are making a HUGE mistake in trading him.

Wherever he goes, I hope he wins the stanley cup; he deserves it.
Always will love and support Cody Hodgson, great player, great potential great character, and I don't care about those stupid rumours about the trade. And we lost him, what a dissapointment. Love you COHO, forever a canuck in my heart!

One day Luongo will raise Lord Stanley's cup.
And show all those haters that he is the amazing goalie that he is.
No matter what jersey he wears, I will always be cheering for Luongo.

Forever Believe.

#19 Canucks_fo_life

Canucks_fo_life

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,728 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:38 PM

I can't wait til the same thing happens to Schneider
I rather lose with the Canucks, than win with any other team

This is OUR year

GO CANUCKS GOOOOOO!!!!!!!

#20 RO8!!

RO8!!

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:41 PM

Think deeper man.

We'll see in a couple seasons when your running Schneider out of town as well.

"Hey this milk is bad. Maybe tomorrow it'll be better."

Canucks NYG Celtics Fan

#21 Weber's Playoff Beard

Weber's Playoff Beard

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:42 PM

You realize Schneider has won and been a starter at every level right? He's played 60 plus in the AHL for numerous years right? Yes its not the NHL but clearly fitness and mental strength are not issues.

Think deeper man.

So Schnieder can perform for a full season? Says who? You? Mr. Expert?

Wow, so tired of these whiny people not realizing that we have a superstar in Luongo. When he hoists the cup in another uni, I will bombard you with emails asking you if you still believe this garbage you are spewing.

You realize Luongo has won and been a starter at every level right
? You realize he's played 40 plus games in the NHL for 11 straight seasons right? Yes its the NHL and clearly fitness and mental strength are not issues.

Think deeper man.

Edited by Weber's Playoff Beard, 07 July 2012 - 01:02 PM.

#22 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,149 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:44 PM

"and the emergence of Schneider as a shoe in for the number one position" and "Soon after the news came that Luongo had asked for a trade" OP

Really? I call bull on both counts due to the record.

If anything,Luo played every bit as good as Cory did throughout the season,especially in the early going before the team decided to float from February into early April.

Down the stretch both played well,but Luo carried the load.

I think the wrong decision has been made to jettison Luo and I will be happy to say Cory is a 'superstar' but come on,this kid has one losing playoff round to his credit.

Luo should have been traded after he recovered from consecutive groin injuries.He struggled for years to get his game back.

Gillis is two years behind on this one.I would keep Luo and trade the kid with no NHL starter's record,myself.

#23 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,648 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:45 PM

I love the guy, he's a great person and a great player.

It will be said to see him go, I'll really miss the years of outstanding play and all the memories he brought us but I am happy for him, hopefully he goes to Florida and finishes his career nicely.

It's time to move on for both sides but I'm still a big fan.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 07 July 2012 - 12:46 PM.

zackass.png

#24 Vertikal

Vertikal

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:48 PM

I for one have always liked Lui, he's a good guy, a fierce competitor and I believe the best goalie to ever wear a Canucks sweater. For years now I have dreamed of seeing his #1 hanging from the rafters of Rogers arena and am now feeling pretty sad realizing that day will most likely never come now.

I fearfully await the day(and it won't be long) when fans start criticizing Schneids the way they do Lui. Because it is inevitable that #35 will have struggles and when he does he'll be getting roasted just like Lui has for years. sad to see him on his way out, the guy is a total class act even in this present situation, not to mention he's got a great sense of humour!
We'll always remember you Bobby Lu!

QUOTE (Spinnaker @ Sep 11 2008, 07:08 AM)
"Watching Burrows play is like watching Gladiator for the first time. It's kinda badass."

#25 RO8!!

RO8!!

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:51 PM

To say outright that Schneider will not be able to keep it up over the long hall is without basis or forthought. Schneider is technically better, and thus more efficient in moving around the crease. I agree his puck handling is a weakness but not a huge deal. All in all, Schneider has shown his superiority and is an easier goalie to play in front of.
Unless you have facts to base Schneiders inability to play long into the season, Id keep such baseless summations to yourself.

He has shown glimpses but that is it, hard to show superiority when your not starting. You say it is ridiculous to say Schneider can't keep the same numbers over the long haul but don't think it is ridiculous to claim Schneider is better after 68 games over 3 seasons? Talk about a double standard.

Now I believe he is gonna be a great goalie but I'm not ready to crown him better then Loui who knows what could happen between now and oh I don't know say about 6 years..maybe he will still be here then. People say Loui never did as well as his 1st year(which I disagree with but that is an argument for another time) but somehow you can predict that Schneider will be as good as his 1st 2 seasons, in which he didn't even start but only backed-up 2 president trophy winning teams none the less.

"Hey this milk is bad. Maybe tomorrow it'll be better."

Canucks NYG Celtics Fan

#26 six-0h-four-

six-0h-four-

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:54 PM

I appreciate your train of thought, and at least you took the time to actually bring something insightful to the discussion.

But in my opinion we can't say "Schneider won't be able to keep it up" because frankly how do we know? No one can predict the future except Miss Cleo. I also thought "Schneider's terrible puck handling" was a little funny, because Roberto wasn't brilliant with the puck either.

I am not sure I agree with the fact that a good portion of the fan base went from torching to sentimental. I say this because I think it would be wrong to assume that a vocal few represent a majority of anything.

For instance, it would be fair to say that the rioters of lore do not represent the sentiment of the majority. Nor do those who loudly and frequently say "trade Kesler, he's done", or "Juice for a bag of pucks", or "the Sedin's are soft".

They may be loud, and they may be controversial, and they may even feed our own frustration at times, but I do not believe they represent the majority of fans, or at the very least to assume or state that they do is an unfair assumption of facts not in evidence.

I can definitely see your perspective.

However, by a "good portion" I didn't mean "a vast majority". (That's why I didn't say that) To put a number on the anti-Luongo vs. Luongo supporters today would not be fair because of the growing sentiment for him and his contributions, and knowing he will not be coming back. (ie the whole reason for the thread.) For example, out of all my family and friends say there are 50 people. (For an even number) I would say roughly 40 might be riding the anti-train. 80% is a pretty big number. Also if memory serves correctly, Team 1040 had a poll question a year ago basically asking which side of the fence you're on, and I believe it ended around 75% anti- Luongo.

Edited by six-0h-four-, 07 July 2012 - 12:56 PM.

Follow me @CurtisEastman on Twitter.

#27 combover

combover

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:57 PM

media and uneducated fans chase the best goalie in franchise history of out town. thats the head line.

the team made a commitment to him and he to the team. Cory's still unproven as a starter and the pressure from the media insanity.
personally i think cory should have been packaged up and sent out. and chi get louie he can rub it in next spring when he lifts the cup that team would be hard to beat with a great goalie like louie in net.
my warn status is for calling it like i saw it with Dave the donut Nonis. apparently the owners agreed

#28 hockeyfan87

hockeyfan87

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:13 PM

Think deeper man.

You sound like a twelve year old. Everything he said makes sense. Just because you disagree with someone doesn't mean they don't have merit.

#29 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:17 PM

Truth be told, I stopped reading at "certainty". That's far from a certainty at this point. It could still be Schneider getting moved. I don't care if Luongo says he does want to move on, if the team trades Cory, he'll get used to the idea of staying really quickly. The fact that Cory signed means little beyond the fact that Gillis didn't want to be vulnerable to offer sheets. Gillis knows that the team can still be very strong with Roberto (one of the league's best goalies) between the pipes plus whatever good haul he could land for Cory, and that option is still on the table.
Posted Image

LUC BOURDON: FEB 16TH, 1987 - MAY 29TH, 2008

#30 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,015 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:20 PM

I hate him

That's a pretty strong statement directed towards a guy who is just a good person in general with all his charity work and has personally done nothing to you. Granted he is obligated by the team to do that work, but I think it would be safe to say that you don't get off your fat ass and help someone.
Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.