The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Shane Doan's agent said the Canucks are one of the teams.

Just to add on from earlier about Doan's negotiations with Phoenix. This also helps the Canucks.

Hockeyy Insiderr@HockeyyInsiderr

UPDATE on Doan: Negotiations between him and #Coyotes NOT going according to plan. He is feeling low-balled by PHX+rltn w Jamison NOT great.

Source: #Coyotes have until the end of the week (TICK-TOCK) or Doan will start negotiations with other teams (6 team list prepared).

Preliminary reports on Doan's 6 teams list include #Habs #Pens#Canucks and #SJSharks. Unaware of other 2 teams.

Mentioned by sources as potential other teams on the list are #Oilers#Sabres #NHLJets and #Canes, but these are not confirmed.

One thing is certain (and this is info straight from Doan's agent) Shane prefers tradition,team history and chance to win the cup over $$$.

Doan also adamant about obtaining long term contract (4 years) as he wants this to be the last contract of his career. Prefers term over $$$

One thing that is certain now is that Shane Doan's future in Phoenix looks more grim than ever. #Coyotes

Sign him to the 4-year deal!!

Just going to throw this out here for pure speculation...

Hockeyy Insiderr ‏@HockeyyInsiderr

On Doan: what I am hearing is he is NOT happy how negotiations are ongoing in Phoenix and is very likely to consider other offers#Coyotes

EDIT: Just going to point out that this guy earlier this morning announced the Grigorenko signing 11 minutes before anyone else.

If I were the Sedins, I would be calling up MG and telling him I was okay with letting Doan surpass my salary. If MG sticks to his "nobody makes more than the Sedins" rule, the odds fo attracting the kind of big, talented, character guy this team desparately needs in its top 6, are slim to none.

If the Sedins want to win a cup, they may need to accept this reality. Besides, sticking to a fixed dollar cap when inflation and the cap rising have inflated salaries is not good business. The Sedins today would be taking $8m per year and that would still be a discount to current market.

News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports

#Canucks forward Manny Maholtra should be taking Shane Doan out for dinner tonight after CBA meetings.

Lets hope Manny can work him. The positive thing is Manny played for the Sharks and plays for the Canucks. Great person to sell on playing in vancity of san jose.

This new NHL mentality is terrible.

We have all these basement dwelling capologists trying to out do each other with their comments when really, who cares how much a player makes. If Doan is signed in Vancouver regardless of the amount, the Canucks instantly become better.

If I were the Sedins, I would be calling up MG and telling him I was okay with letting Doan surpass my salary. If MG sticks to his "nobody makes more than the Sedins" rule, the odds fo attracting the kind of big, talented, character guy this team desparately needs in its top 6, are slim to none.

If the Sedins want to win a cup, they may need to accept this reality. Besides, sticking to a fixed dollar cap when inflation and the cap rising have inflated salaries is not good business. The Sedins today would be taking $8m per year and that would still be a discount to current market.

That might make sense if you were talking about Nash signing as a UFA for 7.8 - I'd personally rather sign Doan at 6 as I think he is more of a prototypical power forward than Nash (hits alot more frequently and much harder, commands respect, creates space for his linemates, etc, but that is another issue) - the part about Nash that is not a steal is the 4 or 5 assets CBJ expects you to give up for him - that part makes the cost exceedingly ridiculous (and on top of that you then have a 7.8 million cap hit).

Archived