The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Update] Doan Gets Contract Offers From 3 Teams, Canucks Offer

Common knowledge, Canucks have been over in previous years, see other posts.

Why would I want to waste my time looking it up? I know the rule. What is funny is that some actually say "no you are incorrect, you cannot exceed the cap" maybe you should get all whiny and b!tchy about THOSE people who say its false without lookin it up. Quit being a baby

Wait, I'm confused. Fanuck you said this on page 7

and now you've provided the proof from the CBA that you can go over the cap by 10%

Not trying to pick on you or anything, just genuinely confused, I'm not sure if I missed something, or took that out of context?

edit: I think you and I are on the same page re: not knowing how much the Canucks are against the cap, just not sure why you said teams can't exceed the cap by 10%

Sorry for any confusion arsenalian, I'm trying to be consistent but there may have been some misinterpretation - my intention has always been to point out that no team, Canucks or anyone else, can exceed the cap by more than 10%. This is clearly stated in the CBA and is quite easy to find (I pointed out the exact section earlier). If anyone can post up a legitimate link that says the contrary I'd like to see it because it will raise some interesting questions that contradict the existing CBA. Unlike some people (not you) it really bothers me when others simply spew garbage they 'heard' somewhere without anything to back it up, that's why I actually read the specific section of the CBA to be clear on this point.

Sorry for any confusion arsenalian, I'm trying to be consistent but there may have been some misinterpretation - my intention has always been to point out that no team, Canucks or anyone else, can exceed the cap by more than 10%. This is clearly stated in the CBA and is quite easy to find (I pointed out the exact section earlier). If anyone can post up a legitimate link that says the contrary I'd like to see it because it will raise some interesting questions that contradict the existing CBA. Unlike some people (not you) it really bothers me when others simply spew garbage they 'heard' somewhere without anything to back it up, that's why I actually read the specific section of the CBA to be clear on this point.

Oh gotcha. My understanding, from the Globe and Mail article I posted earlier, is that the 10% overage is a temporary measure allowed by the NHL for this offseason only. Being allowed because of the expiration of the CBA, and uncertainty with what exactly the new cap will be. According to the article that's what the owner's were told by Bill Daly at their meetings in June.

edit: Actually, after going back and re-reading that article, it doesn't say anything about Bill Daly telling them that, so... I think I'm just making stuff up in my head..lol. OK I now realize, I have no idea about the cap situation ;) So I'll just shut-up now.

Not sure if you're agreeing or stating a contrary point, but how I read your link (and I've read it before), is that teams can exceed the upper cap limit in the off-season, but by 10% only, which is what I've said all along.

nope i just re-read a good portion of this thread and am agreeing with you....what is confusing is that you originally said (or made it seem) that teams cannot go over the cap at all (including the offseason).

The offseason calculation of the salary cap is very confusing and i wonder how much cap space the canucks really have though?

It's really unclear. Who's to say which of our two way contracts are considered part of the "active" roster?

The only think that's certain is we have more than enough money available to offer Doan as much as the next team.

Can you please post up a legitimate source where it documents clearly when exactly the Canucks were over the upper limit of the cap by more than 10% - other than heresay on a message board?  I'd actually really like to see this legitimate documentation as opposed to you simply saying "see other posts" which is a total cop-out.  I could easily say "see other posts" and tell you you're incorrect and you're being a baby as well - but I didn't, I did some basic research and everything points to the 10% only exception.

The only thing in doubt, as I've said before, is how much money is counting against the Canucks cap hit right now - this will determine what space there is and as a result, how much is available to sign other players whether it be Doan or anyone else.

nope i just re-read a good portion of this thread and am agreeing with you....what is confusing is that you originally said (or made it seem) that teams cannot go over the cap at all (including the offseason).

The offseason calculation of the salary cap is very confusing and i wonder how much cap space the canucks really have though?

Again....FANUCK...on Page 8 you said, and I quote:"Teams cannot exceed the cap by 10%, this is a fact. If one is to believe on-line sources like capgeek (which has been incredibly accurate in the past) this leaves only about 3mil(approximately) to sign Doan without unloading other salaries - we all know this figure is unlikely to land Doan."Then you told me I put my foot in my mouth, when I said teams CAN exceed salary cap by 10% in the off season. Then in later posts you are now agreeing with me. So I am not sure why I should put my foot in my mouth when YOU found the documentation confirming teams can go over the cap by 10%....You must be drinking over there or something...

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you on this, but can you show me where it is clear(not speculation or heresay or from other posts on CDC) it is 'certain'? Not arguing here, I really want to know more about the missing pieces to this mystery (cap room or no cap room)?

Archived