The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Update] Doan Gets Contract Offers From 3 Teams, Canucks Offer

I think the Canucks may be at a disadvantage in terms of the ability to offer a 30 million, 4 year deal, but I don't think that necessarily tips the scales against them, to the point where they are out of contention.

I could see the Canucks pitch being similar to the one for Garrison, where the ceiling for their offer was what their top two blueliners are making - the Canucks would probably offer Doan a comparable cap hit to the Sedins - 6 million for perhaps 3 years (probably have to compromise on term - ideally 2 years, but...). Not an unreasonable offer by any stretch of the imagination - particularly under the circumstances, and I don't think it's unrealistic to think Doan would consider that offer seriously even if there are larger offers on the table. In addition, Doan really is the prototype of the player the Canucks need. Playing with the Sedins has to be an attractive option.

I wouldn't be surprised if the team/s that can throw 30 million over 4 years at Doan are in a similar situation to Minnesota - ie Carolina - they have 20 million in cap space largely because they are not yet contenders - not even close. The Canucks on the other hand have a roster where every piece of their cap space is crucial. A deal like that could hurt the Canuck in four years if Doan, at 40, were unable to maintain his health and level of play - and the Canucks intend to still be contending in four years. The difference in Doan's case, as opposed to the Parise and Suter type signings, where they were willing to go to Minnesota as opposed to Detroit or Pittsburgh, is that those players can wait a few years for the Wild to fill out their roster. Likewise a club like Carolina still has a few years of work to do imo - and that is where their offer to Doan may fail, if Doan, who is 36 years old, values playing for a contender. Hopefully he also values playing in Canada... After all, where is the joy in helping bring the Stanley Cup back to Los Angeles or some other city in California?

I say we get a bunch of restaurants whose owners are die hard Canuck fans to offer Doan free meals as long as he is a Vancouver Canuck... It would help to get other types of businesses in on this too...

I doubt Gillis will offer anything over what the twins are making... Even if that is overpaying, I think that is what they offer will end up as.. $6.1 million for 3 years... But I would be more comfortable giving him $5.5 million per year for 3 years (but I don't see Doan accepting that)... Well... thinking about it, I think he would be worth $6.1 million per year since he will bring what no other Canuck really brings to his level (elite leadership and the hard-nosed hockey on a daily basis)... I'd even go as far as he would be more valuable to our team than a Sedin on their own (since we have two anyways).. Not saying he is even close to as offensively talented than either one of them, but just more valuable to the team on a whole... This is all assuming his age doesn't affect him significantly..

Whitney just got a two year deal at age 40. Ideally Doan could be signed for 2 years at 5 million per - but realistically one or two years even at 6 million may be the equivalent to conceding that you're not going to sign him... If his mind is set on Vancouver that would be stellar, but otherwide I'd assume that the Canucks would have to take the risk of adding a third year in order to be competiive - under the circumstances I for one would take that risk to land a power forward right winger like Doan without losing any assets - if he is committed to playing out that contract. Who knows - he may or may not demand a 3 or 4 year term... The UFA market has gone crazy - what I wouldn't do is front load anything - the idea of offering something like 8-8-3-1 or whatever, as some have suggested, is begging to have a fourth year where you are stuck with a five million cap hit on a retired player...

Whitney just got a two year deal at age 40. Ideally Doan could be signed for 2 years at 5 million per - but realistically one or two years even at 6 million may be the equivalent to conceding that you're not going to sign him... If his mind is set on Vancouver that would be stellar, but otherwide I'd assume that the Canucks would have to take the risk of adding a third year in order to be competiive - under the circumstances I for one would take that risk to land a power forward right winger like Doan without losing any assets - if he is committed to playing out that contract. Who knows - he may or may not demand a 3 or 4 year term... The UFA market has gone crazy - what I wouldn't do is front load anything - the idea of offering something like 8-8-3-1 or whatever, as some have suggested, is begging to have a fourth year where you are stuck with a five million cap hit on a retired player...

What a formidable line-up if we got doan:

Sedin-Sedin_Burrows

Booth-Kesler-Doan

Higgins-Shraoeder-Hansen

Raymond-Lapierre-Kassian

Reserves: Malhotra Volpatti Weise

He brings so much more depth and scoring to our line-up, not to mention the leadership and experience and the hunger to win a ring. Now that mueller is gone i think that free agency either relies on Doan or bust! I am also anxious to see what pieces we get in return from the Luongo deal. I hope it happens soon because i we r running out of Nucks news.

What a formidable line-up if we got doan:

Sedin-Sedin_Burrows

Booth-Kesler-Doan

Higgins-Shraoeder-Hansen

Raymond-Lapierre-Kassian

Reserves: Malhotra Volpatti Weise

He brings so much more depth and scoring to our line-up, not to mention the leadership and experience and the hunger to win a ring. Now that mueller is gone i think that free agency either relies on Doan or bust! I am also anxious to see what pieces we get in return from the Luongo deal. I hope it happens soon because i we r running out of Nucks news.

I believe a Luongo deal might be pending on whether we get Doan or not and this thing might keep on going for awhile.

We have to look at some other players who could still be had via FA or trade and what pieces we need from a deal involving Luongo.

There is no Luongo deal pending. Luongo will be a Canuck up until December/January. A GM is going to get desperate need a veteran goalie and overpay for Luo. Kesler and his 5million cap hit are out long term so there is no rush to trade Luo.

Since it's an over-35 contract, you do know that front loading doesn't benefit us in any way, right? His cap hit would still be $5M and since he's made the majority of the money in the first two years, he could decide to retire for the final two, leaving us holding the bag.

If they do more than two years, it'll be with the payout spread evenly.

Archived