The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep all discussion here)

If the Canucks were merely trying to "dump" Luongo's salary, they would have done so by now. The Luke Schenn deal, which you seem to be so convinced was actually made, would have been accepted. The Canucks would have acquired a useful, hard hitting, right-handed defenseman (even though you think that is irrelevant) and saved 2 million in annual salary.

But sure lets go with Darren Dreger is speaking for the markets. He's a journalist...it's still meaningless in terms of actually speaking for the markets. You however are still choosing to input your opinion as fact. You've found someone to hitch your opinion onto but that doesn't really change anything. So yeah I stand by my previous statement.

The bottom line here is that seeing Luongo as a cap dump is foolish. You've as much as championed the effort to say his cap hit is good and he's a great goaltender. In fact you're entire play here is that Gillis would have no problems trading Luongo except that Luongo "holds all the cards".

OK, well, if seeing Luongo as a cap dump is foolish, then just know that you're calling Darren Dreger a fool. You're claiming to be more knowledgeable than he is. If that's what you believe, fine.

My take throughout this is/was that I'm not surprised that something like this is/was happening. The teams that could most use Lou (CBJ & NYI) are teams that he's not going to accept a trade to.

Maybe Gillis thought that Burke was balking at the JVR alternative, I don't know. Maybe Gillis just doesn't like Schenn. Maybe Gillis just thinks Luongo is worth a lot more.

...partly. If Florida's offering us Jovanovski for Luongo, that's not really a "hockey trade", is it? Florida clearly gets the better player.

How can they both be true when you've discredited one previously? You've said before that his contract isn't a factor when it's been brought up. Not pathetic King...just true. You've contradicted yourself so many times and all so that you can continue down the road of vilifying Gillis. It always comes back around to that. It's fine though if you're saying they are both true then you are essentially saying you were wrong before which is fine. While Luongo holds cards because of how his contract was laid out it essentially doesn't mean much. I disagree with you about his cap hit but it may be a factor to some teams.

Seriously, this "contradicting" crap has got to stop. I have not been contradicting myself at all.

SHOW ME WHERE I SAID THAT LUONGO'S CONTRACT IS A NON-FACTOR IN THIS DEAL, if I've been contradicting myself this whole time. And I expect to receive an apology when you don't find anything.

For the last time, the contract is a factor, and that includes all elements of it; the length, the cap hit, the NTC.

When Tallon looks at the standings at the trade deadline and sees what he is competing against, he is going to feel far more pressure to make a deal than Gillis will. The Canucks franchise does not live and die with playoff berths. Fans will always return. The same cannot be said of the Panthers.

Nope no apology at all King. You have said that Luongo is a great player and his contract is fair and doesn't matter. You've stated that Luongo has publicly asked for a trade to spite Gillis and you've said the reason Gillis won't get what he wants is because Luongo holds all the cards. Sorry King...it seems you've become worked up over this.

How about the upgrades in Minnesota & Edmonton? How about Calgary adding a new coach, Wideman, and Hudler?

I wouldn't be so sure that the Canucks will be the powerhouse that they were the last two seasons, nor would I be so sure that Florida would be in the position that you're assuming they'll be in. And you've gotta think that if Florida is in a bad position at the deadline, one of the bottom spots in the conference, perhaps, they might well just concede to run with their youth - namely, Jakob Markstrom. See what he's got. If they really suck, what's 34 year-old Roberto Luongo going to do for them, anyway? He couldn't lead them to the playoffs at 25, what makes you think it'll happen a decade later? Wouldn't it make more sense for them to give a highly-touted guy like Markstrom a shot, to grow with their other influx of good young players?

What I seem to be the only one doing is looking at the transaction from the other side's perspective.

King of ES, are your arguments so fragile that you need to pick out grammatical mistake in another's post to pump your tires a little? Com'on, those antics are for highschool students. Losing a debate sucks, however, you'll just get looked down upon if you don't admit your mistakes. Learn how adults discuss, before you vilify this post anymore than you already have.

Archived