The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis Co-Hosting Team 1040 from 11-1

arsenalian

Gillis just confirmed the Canucks were in the Nash sweepstakes early on but Columbus wanted way too much. Here comes De Niro with his complaints that Gillis didn't get it done, though, because he doesn't have a clue how to smartly manage a hockey team.

We could not have got Weber as an RFA. Here's why:

Nashville will likely (but not definetly) match Philly's offer sheet. BUT, had the offer sheet come from Vancouver they would absolutely have matched. They couldn't have let him walk to a Western Conference contender in exchange for a few very late1st round picks (from the back to back Presidents' Trophy winning team). No way.

We're not the ones sounding whiny here...just saying. He did make an offer, it was 1 year, so that if Nashville matches he's UFA next year. He believes Nashville will match any offer, and part of it has to do w/ the new CBA coming in. I'm not a Gillis apologist, but I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt on this one, and assume he has his ear closer to the NHL, and what Poile is thinking saying, than fans on this board.

Bunch of whiney Gillis lovers in here.

Gillis had a chance to make a bold move, and he couldn't get it done. Now he's making an excuse. That deserves some amount of criticism, whether you like to admit it or not.

Meeting with a player, and actually making an offer are two different things. It sounds like he thought Nashville would match for sure, so he planned to offer him a 1 year offer sheet so that he would remain in Nashville until he was a free agent. It didn't work, and now he missed out.

I think I should be allowed to criticize our GM when he doesn't get things done. This doesn't always have to be a Gillis love fest.

Well if he had sent him an off sheet first, his choice would be to sign it or stay in Nashville.

Your telling me he wouldn't play for the Canucks if we offered to sign him? I don't buy that.

My guess is Gillis just wasn't willing to pay him what it would have taken to get him here. Philly was, and now there's a good chance they'll get him.

Well it sounds whiney to me. I say one bad thing about Gillis and I get 4 people trying to attack me.

He said they were thinking about making him a 1 year offer because they thought Nashville would match. Bottom line is, Weber was never going to seriously sign a 1 year offer sheet, when there was clearly going to be other teams offering more.

He didn't even make a competitive offer for Weber to consider. So it has nothing to do with him wanting to play here or not, it has to do with us not even offering him anything enticing.

Nashville said they would match because they wanted to protect their player. Philly called their bluff, and now they might reap the rewards from it. If Gillis had at least offered a multi year contract with a big signing bonus, I would be happy. But this was a feeble attempt on his part.

Gillis just confirmed the Canucks were in the Nash sweepstakes early on but Columbus wanted way too much. Here comes De Niro with his complaints that Gillis didn't get it done, though, because he doesn't have a clue how to smartly manage a hockey team.

Well if he had sent him an off sheet first, his choice would be to sign it or stay in Nashville.

Your telling me he wouldn't play for the Canucks if we offered to sign him? I don't buy that.

My guess is Gillis just wasn't willing to pay him what it would have taken to get him here. Philly was, and now there's a good chance they'll get him.

Whatever, I'm perfectly content, at least as far as the Weber situation goes. It would have been awesome to get him but the Canucks didn't. Really, no big deal. The Canucks still have an excellent defense and Edler himself is a top 15 defenseman in the league.

The sky isn't falling in my world.

Give me a break. :picard:

It's one thing if the cost for a trade is too high, it's another if you have a chance to offer a contract to a player and the best you can do is a 1 year deal.

But I'm sure you're an expert on running a hockey, just like everyone else on here.

Ironically, you're the one who's whining.

This isn't a Gillis love-fest. It's a simple acknowledgment of the logical rationale of Gillis not signing Weber to an offer sheet. You're the one irrationally crying over Gillis not "getting it done". I mean, who cares that it would take almost $30M in salary dollars in the first year, a year in which there might not even be a hockey season.

We could not have got Weber as an RFA. Here's why:

Nashville will likely (but not definetly) match Philly's offer sheet. BUT, had the offer sheet come from Vancouver they would absolutely have matched. They couldn't have let him walk to a Western Conference contender in exchange for a few very late1st round picks (from the back to back Presidents' Trophy winning team). No way.

Were any of these things said?

"____ smack dab in the middle of Canucks lunch"

"____ on all things ____"

"We'll play tell me I'm wrong at ____. Get your submissions in to the Sonitroll verified Sportsaction BC Back Institute Kirmac Cares for Kids instant access inbox"

Give me a break. :picard:

It's one thing if the cost for a trade is too high, it's another if you have a chance to offer a contract to a player and the best you can do is a 1 year deal.

But I'm sure you're an expert on running a hockey, just like everyone else on here.

No one's attacking you, just responding to your statements. It's all been reasonable responses, you're the one that threw out the everyone who disagrees with me is whiny. So I'll just stop responding now.

edit: Oh and if he really wanted out of Nashville he would sign a one-year, so he's a UFA next year and could play anywhere he wanted, for pretty much the max amount of money and term he'd be allowed under the new CBA. There, that's the last I'm going to say on it

To be fair, I think it's pretty clear that Weber wants out of Nashville. The offer sheet was tailored specifically for Nashville's finances in the sense that it is so front-heavy (likely the most front-heavy NHL contract ever) that Nashville's ownership simply may not be able to swing the money (especially with the risk of a work-stoppage).

He didn't wait for his UFA chance because the owners are going to get term-limits on contracts. He managed to squeeze in the last one of those contracts before they're banned.

Archived