239 replies to this topic

#91 SEAN HARNETT

SEAN HARNETT

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:50 PM

no matter how much weight he drops he'll still be a pylon. What a bonehead move on Gilligan's part!!!!

I guess you're a much better GM and a better judge of hockey talent? <_<
:towel:

#92 Ryan Murray

Ryan Murray

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:51 PM

My buddy who is best friends with Prab Rai told me about this Saturday night. It was actually an ex coworkers boyfriend who I now keep in contact with, but he's a childhood friend of Prab Rai and his brother, he said Kassian's been skating in Langley with Prab Rai, Duncan Keith, Brent Seabrooke, Jason Garrison and a couple other prospects, and yes, has lost 20 pounds. I have high hopes for Kass, and I think this will bring a new element to his game, speed.

Wow, Prab Rai is my favorite all time T-Bird. I go to a lot of the games.
Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#93 onixx

onixx

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:52 PM

I guarantee you Bertuzzi wasn't all muscle at 245. You need fat to reach that weight unless you're Chara size.

It's like a linebacker. Those guys have huge bellies, but they can move like the wind.

We'll see how it works out though.

Line backers can move like the wind for shots distances and limited durations! That's why the don't play hockey and you won't find a professional hockey player with that body type!

#94 SEAN HARNETT

SEAN HARNETT

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:54 PM

I love Kassian. I have never advocated Burrows leaving the first line as he is essential to the Sedins, but I would make an exception for Zack if he fits.We need him on the ice to patrol for cheap shots. People will be a lot more weary with him manning the fort. If Burrows is in line for a 4-5 million salary then he should be capable of contributing with Booth and Kesler. Kes and him have always had great chemistry playing shorthanded. I know they've been tested out in the regular season at even strength to not great success but I think if we don't at least try Zack with the Sedins we're doing them and the rest of the team a disservice.

Im really hoping that Doan will fill that roll and Kesler can play with Burrows again. If this weight loss and adding muscle can help kassian's quickness, then the third line would be a good spot for him to start.
:towel:

#95 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,916 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:54 PM

him down 20 lbs means he's around 205 lbs. He's a guy I wouldn't mind having him at 225 lbs of hard hitting muscle.
November 20th 2013, Canucks just lost their 5th straight game. Last time this happened the Canucks, they missed the playoffs.

#96 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:56 PM

Bauer sponsors Seguin - breaks out.

Nike sponsors Kassian - breaks out

I'm thinking Kass will be my rookie pick for my pool this year.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#97 Sanj

Sanj

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:57 PM

Doesn't make sense at all. Muscle weights heavier than fat.

Common misconception....Muscle is more dense than fat.

#98 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,830 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:00 PM

You must be new to the game of hockey...see it doesnt matter what weight , what height , or what people that dont understand the game think...it means NOTHING !!! ...If he worked that hard then he has the heart and the drive to be a better player...if you want a power forward from what is basically a rookie...then your better off being on cdc , cause anyone who knows hockey would be to busy laughing at you...

So Mats Naslund, St.Louis or Ryan Shannon could have been power forwards if they wanted to?
Posted Image

#99 TyrEnkidu

TyrEnkidu

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:02 PM

Your first paragraph would be correct if Zack Kassian were a bodybuilder. What you're talking about is NOT the protocol for professional athletes. It's not easy to lose 20 lbs., especially in a short time frame like Kassian has. This is clearly a conscious move by the Canucks - they want him to lose weight.

Regarding your second paragraph, unless Kassian's a freak of nature, his strength isn't going to be as high as it was 20 lbs. ago. He's not eating enough. You've got to create a serious caloric defecit to lose that amount of weight over a couple of months. He probably feels and looks like crap right now.

just to help you not look completely rediculous in the future..they are called SUPPLEMENTS ....you know less calories and more nutrients ...its how ALL professional athletes train these days
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#100 Tangerines

Tangerines

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,936 posts

They are rebuilding him. He will be better, faster, stronger.. He will be the new bionic man..

Edited by JohnLennon, 23 July 2012 - 07:04 PM.

#101 The Sedin's 6th Sense

The Sedin's 6th Sense

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,431 posts

Big Bert 2.0

Hopefully, he sure has that potential and more.

Posted Image

"You know what my favourite Super Bowl is? The next one."

- Tom Brady

#102 TyrEnkidu

TyrEnkidu

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:03 PM

So Mats Naslund, St.Louis or Ryan Shannon could have been power forwards if they wanted to?

I personally saw Theo Flurry DESTROY my canucks...so in answer to you're VERY smart response...YES

#103 The Sedin's 6th Sense

The Sedin's 6th Sense

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:06 PM

They can rebuild him.

Bingo. Even more excited about him now - he'll surely become better.

Posted Image

- Tom Brady

#104 TyrEnkidu

TyrEnkidu

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:12 PM

Your first paragraph would be correct if Zack Kassian were a bodybuilder. What you're talking about is NOT the protocol for professional athletes. It's not easy to lose 20 lbs., especially in a short time frame like Kassian has. This is clearly a conscious move by the Canucks - they want him to lose weight.

Regarding your second paragraph, unless Kassian's a freak of nature, his strength isn't going to be as high as it was 20 lbs. ago. He's not eating enough. You've got to create a serious caloric defecit to lose that amount of weight over a couple of months. He probably feels and looks like crap right now.

SUPPLEMENTS!!!! ...Fool

#105 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,847 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:13 PM

Well 20 pounds is 20 pounds. That 20 pounds makes him harder to knock off the puck or clear from out of the crease.

I get the whole fitness thing, but I thought he was a good skater for his size already. Bertuzzi was 245 and built like a freight train.

Fat is not always a bad thing if you can move. Hopefully he can gain another 10 in muscle.

Bertuzzi was in his prime though - Kassian's still only 21. He'll gain it back in muscle IMO and fat does add on a bit throughout the season I think.

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#106 Jester@wraiths.ca

Jester@wraiths.ca

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,226 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:14 PM

His endurance was not fantastic however, it would be great if he could improve that.

Honestly, how could you tell? Did you watch him climbing the stairs to the press box?

#107 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,830 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:15 PM

I personally saw Theo Flurry DESTROY my canucks...so in answer to you're VERY smart response...YES

Well, the very definition of a power forward is the opposite of Theo's stature.

I was like, five years old in Theo's prime so I can't say positively on my own. I never really watched him play aside from old clips. But a quick google search "theo fleury power forward"... I've come to the conclusion he was anything but. There's a consensus on HFBoards that Theo was also anything but a PF
Posted Image

#108 TyrEnkidu

TyrEnkidu

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:16 PM

Honestly, how could you tell? Did you watch him climbing the stairs to the press box?

With a chili dog and a beer

#109 The Sedin's 6th Sense

The Sedin's 6th Sense

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:16 PM

Aight, so the guys lost 20 pounds of mostly fat. Now, he'll start gaining muscle mass slowly and muscle mass is heavier than fat so he will step by step start getting up to his usual weight.

For those saying why is our Powerforward losing weight? It doesn't matter, it's only a positive. He can lose 50 pounds for all I care, but he'll still be big at 6'3" and as long as a good portion of the weight he cut is replaced by muscle mass, it will always be a positive. Look at it: the guys lost 20 pounds! That is a huge difference! He's now obviously faster, stronger, and more active and for those saying well he'll be easier to get off the puck, give your heads a shake. Weight has almost nothing to do with how well you can protect the puck, look at the Sedin's for example. Not heavy guys but have excellent control of the puck and are hard to knock off - its all about strength and skill and Zack's got both.

...seems like Zack's recycling his old self and is going to mould himself into a different body in which he feels comfortable in and one in which he feels he can play great hockey with his big frame - remember, he'll always remain 6'3" at least and if your saying he's to light now, he'll gain muscle mass from now till the season and get back up to there, at least close it.

Posted Image

- Tom Brady

#110 The Sedin's 6th Sense

The Sedin's 6th Sense

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:18 PM

lol :lol:

Posted Image

- Tom Brady

#111 TyrEnkidu

TyrEnkidu

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:20 PM

Well, the very definition of a power forward is the opposite of Theo's stature.

I was like, five years old in Theo's prime so I can't say positively on my own. I never really watched him play aside from old clips. But a quick google search "theo fleury power forward"... I've come to the conclusion he was anything but. There's a consensus on HFBoards that Theo was also anything but a PF

Well Im very happy that google exists for you because you know everything on the internet is fact....they cant put it on the internet unless its true...since you obviously dont understand my point try Cliff Ronning ..No one would ever print that he was a power forward..the people that have scars and the memories would....MY POINT IS !!!! that 195 is a killer weight if all he lost was fat, then its obvious he didnt do that by starving himself......its all in the head

#112 Watermelons

Watermelons

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:22 PM

Slow offseason...this is the second most exciting news of the day (other than the Nash sweepstakes finally ending)
Sig too big.

#113 TyrEnkidu

TyrEnkidu

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:27 PM

Slow offseason...this is the second most exciting news of the day (other than the Nash sweepstakes finally ending)

Now THATS funny !!

#114 Understand

Understand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,714 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:28 PM

That's what I thought. :lol:

So we finally acquire the powerforward we need, and then we tell him to lose weight cause he's too big?

Didn't we try that with Bernier and he got alot worse?

Not every player has to fit into the skilled fast mold of our other players. Seems to me Penner does alright for himself at 240. So did Bertuzzi.

Exactly what I thinik...

#115 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,830 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:49 PM

Well Im very happy that google exists for you because you know everything on the internet is fact....they cant put it on the internet unless its true...since you obviously dont understand my point try Cliff Ronning ..No one would ever print that he was a power forward..the people that have scars and the memories would....MY POINT IS !!!! that 195 is a killer weight if all he lost was fat, then its obvious he didnt do that by starving himself......its all in the head

Then with that logic what you say is probably factually incorrect as well. By definition of the word, none of the guys you mentioned are power forwards. You're just changing the meaning of the word. If people come here and actually back up what you say then the entire word needs to be rewritten to include all individuals regardless of physical stature. Again, none of those guys have been mentioned as PF on HFBoards either. You can't take a 5'7 170-180 individual and label them them as a PF. That's ridiculous. That's like taking Lucic and calling him a speedy dynamic winger with goal scoring ability. Or labeling Taylor Pyatt as a shifty, speedy winger.
Posted Image

#116 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:50 PM

just to help you not look completely rediculous in the future..they are called SUPPLEMENTS ....you know less calories and more nutrients ...its how ALL professional athletes train these days

It's called, you're a moron, who can't spell "ridiculous" correctly, and judging by the drivel above, know nothing about nutrition, either.

Which "SUPPLEMENTS" do you know of that act as a substitute for FOOD?

#117 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:54 PM

Edited by thehamburglar, 23 July 2012 - 08:00 PM.

Posted Image

#118 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:59 PM

I just hope he's losing the weight and putting on explosive muscle. He was having a hard time playing for extended periods in my opinion.
Posted Image

#119 Bang Bang Boogie

Bang Bang Boogie

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,023 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:14 PM

Or maybe Kassian just lost this:

Posted Image
Posted Image

#120 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,854 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:26 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's hilarious!

Edited by gumballthechewy, 23 July 2012 - 08:28 PM.

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.