The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Shane Doan is in Van today meeting with Canucks

Southpop45

Didn't Gillis just state policy when not re-signing Salo that the Canucks.org do not sign free agents over 35 to multi year deals?

So,career Canucks all take a discount for years and an aging Coyote gets to make more than Hank,Dank and Kes?

Better be a bonus for Doan to bring him under $6.1 or there is going to be one t'd off Vancouver dressing room.

I don't know, from the start of all this everything I read on the situation was about Doan wanting to stay close to his family ( which sounded like they would remain in Phoenix ) so that would mean a West coast team. I don't care what the Rangers have offered if he wants his family on the West coast then he won't be heading East, period, no matter the offer. Sounds like family is first to him then $/term. He will be going into the final contract of his career so you can't blame him for wanting the best contract he can possibly get. Also because of this it makes big sense that if he does not re-sign with Phoenix he will want to go to a team where he has a good chance at winning a Cup since it'll be his one and only shot at it. That cancels out a lot of teams, so Eastern teams, gone, Western teams who are not Cup contenders, gone. Fact is, Vancouver makes the most sense.

I still think he will end up back with the Coyotes but IF he moves , expect it to be to the Canucks. I don't care about the age thing really , many teammates, etc. have talked about how physically strong the guy is not from training but from living the life of a rancher and that he will be that way for a long time yet.

What a perfect guy to show Kassian the way to becoming a power forward. Doan would be a great signing for so many reason, I just wish it'd get done soon so we can shift our focus back to a Luongo trade;)

Didn't Gillis just state policy when not re-signing Salo that the Canucks.org do not sign free agents over 35 to multi year deals?

So,career Canucks all take a discount for years and an aging Coyote gets to make more than Hank,Dank and Kes?

Better be a bonus for Doan to bring him under $6.1 or there is going to be one t'd off Vancouver dressing room.

No offense, but to people saying they wouldn't want Doan cause he's old, production will slow down, too big of a cap hit, just know that it won't be a bad thing to get him, at all actually. Who cares if his production falls later, if we get him, our 2nd line will be a force to wrecken with and it will make us true contenders without a doubt. If we don't get him, we drop from SC contenders to 1-2 round exit cause that's how unstable our 2nd line is and it's how much he can solidify it. Not to mention, we arguably get a top 5 powerforward in the league - our teams known to take crap and Doan has none of it; guys a badass when he has to be and will show opponents not to mess with his team. Also, Kassian being a PF, Doan can be a perfect mentor for him - Zack has all the qualities, Doan can help him with his skill and how to use his body as best as he can and it'd be tremendous help, almost how Demitra and Sundin helped build Kesler. And his veteran presence is just a bonus ontop.....I think you guys over-exaggerated that you wouldn't want him....I'm sure you'd want him more than you wouldn't but then again, if we don't get him, we will have more options next free agency as there is a better FA pool.

I probably have underestimated the value of mentoring Kassian. There is actually a chance that Gillis went after Kassian knowing that Doan could be available.

I do want Doan for this year. Am I prepared to mortgage our future for him? No. Top 5 PF is an overstatement. Top 10? Maybe. I'd love a 1 year, 7.5 mil deal a lot more then a 3 year, 5 million dollar deal.

Thanks... Autocorrect on iPad.

I don't see why people buy into this media-created idea that our window is "closing". Our window is gonna get smaller and bigger but shouldn't close. Kesler isn't getting old yet (worn down, maybe). We have a possible full replacement for a second line coming through the works in Gaunce, Schroeder, Jensen. Kassian could be a first liner if he is properly groomed. Schneider could be with us for a long time and if not, lack should be as good and so should Cannata. Our D is not old by any stretch and we could not have another d draft pick and we could be good for another 6-7 years. Our window will close if we close it by adding players like Doan or Salo for multi-year deals.

Doan will sign in Van for max 4.75 million per annum for two years max, or he ain't welcome .. the guy is so over-rated here in CDC land that even he is starting to think he is a "star" .. any bonus' should be based on team success and not on his ability to feed off the Sedin's garbage .. B)

I heard it on the radio, not some article, based on the discussion that happened .. today. I'm happy to not be following this 'saga' if that's really how you want to define it. Talk about hype. Also, did you learn English by watching rap videos? Jesus.

It's simple business. He has established his value by comparison, and now will look to get as close to it as possible. Somehow I doubt a guy unaware of the existence of commas and apostrophes (and spelling based on rap music videos) could have the closest inkling of an idea of how to manage money, haha.

Archived