The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Shane Doan is in Van today meeting with Canucks

Southpop45

Burrows and the Sedins are in their 30s already, if we don't win within the next couple of years our window will be closing. The Canucks fans want a cup, which means MG is going to have to over pay for a piece or two to complete the puzzle. Yes, it'll look bad in a few years if we get Doan and we don't win a cup, but it's worth the risk.

And stop acting so high and mighty. It's pretty hilarious how everyone always comments on this site about how terrible "Canucks fans are", well guess what, you are one too! Sitting there making pretentious comments about other fans isn't impressing anyone.

I think at this point Doan has set himself up for quite a few good options for him and his family.

Option 1: Stay with Phoenix - He will wait as long as he can to see if the situation is worked out and will not think twice about signing a contract with the coyotes

Option 2: Go to a Contender - this is him choosing where he wants to play, Vancouver or New York, both offer similar things but I think at least that Vancouver would be the better option both with chance of winning, family situation and general well being for him and his family. Vancouver is more ready to win than the Rangers.

Option 3: Payday - this is between Philladelphia and San Jose. These teams will be offering 6.5mil plus for Doan. Philly would be the better option clearly. Not sure San Jose will even make the playoffs next season with or without Doan.

Option 4: Nashville - I can't think of a reason why he would want to go there as they are a worse team than last year but they have shown interest and maybe he loves country music or something.

Right now I think the Canucks are the front runners with the Rangers. If the Canucks sign him to a 3 year deal worth 16,5 million (5.5 mil avg), it is a very good offer and is fair, he could earn more but he will come to a place where players are consistently taking pay cuts for a chance to win the cup. Trades need to be made and we already have one forward too many for my liking so it makes it even easier to make this player available (we all know it's raymond) Raymond has trade value and a long with Luongo we shed a lot of cap space and remain at roughly the same amount as we are at this date.

Sign Doan

Trade Luongo and Raymond

=profit

this off course is the perfect situation which rarely happens.

Those are some crazy "what if's"... there more of a chance that he doesn't play for the full term and we get whacked with his cap hit and it costs us the cup because we can't re-sign one of our players or get a key free agent.

You can't run an organization by figuring out the remotest possibilities and then chasing them to the detriment of all other options. You have to balance risk/eward and determine what will work best.

There are a few very interesting things in this thread that, if true, suggest Vancouver is very serious about getting Shane Doan.

Did they actually meet at the restaurant (or anywhere else)?

Was Aquilini (sp?) there as well as Gillis and Gillman?

If he was, I would think he was there to back up G&G with whatever offer Doan needed confirmed.

He could also show long-term opportunities in the community for Shane and his family.

I think it might be like this:

MG thinks Doan will help the club; LG thinks he can fit Doan under the cap; FA knows he can cover any promise.

I posted previously: 5 year deal with $6m cap hit: yr1 $9m; yr2 $9m; yr3 $9m; yr4 $1.5m; yr5 $1.5m.

Perhaps a slight massage of numbers like this could "get 'er done"!

e.g. $10/$9/$8/$2/$1

Archived