Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

Schneiders start compared to Luongos

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
77 replies to this topic

Poll: Schneiders start compared to Luongos

How will Schneiders first 25 go?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:57 PM

Well, since I think Lu and Cory will be around for next season, I think Cory will do alright in his first 25, but he won't play his 25th till the team's 50-60th game. So probably another slow start, but not as much this season.

Also, I disagree with everyone in the west having Lu's number as you say. If that were true, he wouldn't have been one of our best players last year, and certainly wouldn't have been a vezina finalist 2 years ago. And by your logic, everyone in the west would have every other west goalie's number too, including Quick and Rinne.

sorry to break your bubble..but ...he was not one of our best players last year !!

#32 Master Mind

Master Mind

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,637 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:42 AM

sorry to break your bubble..but ...he was not one of our best players last year !!

Did you even watch the Canucks last season? Lu and Cory carried this team when the offence decided to dry up.

I would be pleased as punch if you pressed this green button.

1zx175v.jpg

small.pngCDCP - New York Rangers

#33 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:46 AM

ohhhhh......thats why he's the new #1 goalie

Posted Image

#34 Vapourstreak

Vapourstreak

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 04:57 AM

Could you elaborate on your opinion using the expertise you have on the goaltending position you claim to have?

It's hard to argue with just that line.

#35 NUCKS4CUP 28

NUCKS4CUP 28

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,350 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 05:17 AM

He will be "average." Maybe a 2.5GAA for the first 25 games. People will shortly see that Schneider will NOT be able to handle the amount of games and the starting duties like Luongo can.
Posted Image

Believe in bLUOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

#36 Nino

Nino

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,033 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:24 AM

He will be "average." Maybe a 2.5GAA for the first 25 games. People will shortly see that Schneider will NOT be able to handle the amount of games and the starting duties like Luongo can.

Or we will see that we made the right choice and the slow start will not happen for us. But I'm sure you will still bash Cory and say he is lucky or that the team is just playing better.

That photo of Lou you have looks like he is mentally handicap.

Edited by Nino, 03 August 2012 - 09:26 AM.

#37 TowelPower12

TowelPower12

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:26 AM

Or we will see that we made the right choice and the slow start will not happen for us. But I'm sure you will still bash Cory and say he is lucky or that the team is just playing better.

That's the argument Lu-bashers made when Luongo did well so....yeah

#38 Nino

Nino

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,033 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:35 AM

That's the argument Lu-bashers made when Luongo did well so....yeah

Lou is a capable reg season goalie other then a few slumps one at the start of the season and one mid to end. The problem is the playoffs.

My point is with the few of you that are projecting Cory to fail may be in for a shock and how will you take it? Will you be happy we moved Lou if Cory turns out to be the better goalie or just stay bitter and bitch?

#39 TowelPower12

TowelPower12

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:09 AM

I'm not projecting him to fail at all I hope he does well, just I think people are putting WAY too high expecations on him

#40 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:42 AM

I'm not projecting him to fail at all I hope he does well, just I think people are putting WAY too high expecations on him

well I guess they'd better be damn high if he's replacing the greatest canuck goalie of all time, while still being a SC contender

Posted Image

#41 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:48 AM

From the times I have seen Schneider let in a rare bad goal, he's handled it like a champ. Seems to get less rattled than Luongo which is I think his biggest advantage vs. Luongo.

Every time?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ilo_-6ssEQg

Edited by Ares, 03 August 2012 - 10:48 AM.

Posted Image

#42 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:55 AM

Every time?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ilo_-6ssEQg

that goal by coho was a beauty

Posted Image

#43 DreamHerO

DreamHerO

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:26 PM

98-0-0

for the whole season

Edited by DreamHerO, 03 August 2012 - 12:33 PM.

Posted Image

#44 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,379 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:23 PM

98-0-0

for the whole season

While that is an admirable thought, I think they should shoot for a more realistic goal: 97-0-1

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#45 Canucklehead420

Canucklehead420

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 02:39 PM

He obviously won't start 25 games in a row. But I could see him with a 17-4-4 record for his first 25. Or something like that.

thats a bit much. i could see him going 14-8-3 and that would be considered a great start. his numbers will obviously taper off a bit playing more games i think at the end of the year he'll be around .922 2.35 with 38 wins

#46 Canucklehead420

Canucklehead420

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 02:45 PM

Its refreshing to go into a season knowing that your goalie doesn't require 1 and a half months of practice before he starts to play nhl-level hockey.

and you know this how? he hasnt come into the season as a clear cut #1 before.

#47 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 04:07 PM

First game is in cow town, I think Corey can handle himself.

Posted Image

#48 Mustapha

Mustapha

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,965 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:32 PM

all star appearance :bigblush:

I would be quite pleased if that happened.

bobssig.jpg

this is why i shaked my head at those Canuck fans that cheered on the fLames to make the playoffs... that fan base is stupid as f thats the fan base that still to this day are convinced Alberts faked going down for a call on hit on that McGrattan hit that sent him to retirement. 

I hated that fan base since 04 and will forever hate them. they have such a huge inferiority complex about our team and the city/province. I hope we dispose of these losers quickly. 

#49 Mustapha

Mustapha

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,965 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:42 PM

Schneider has put in his time in the AHL(136 reg. season, 34 playoffs), which believe it or not, is a very high level of pro hockey.

His numbers on the Moose overall were excellent, and he even won three rounds in the playoffs to make the Finals.

Combine that with Schneider's 68 NHL starts. That's more than enough experience to tell me that he's ready for full time NHL hockey. They aren't starting an 18 year old rookie with no pro experience here boys. He was able to beat the LA Kings once in the playoffs, they only lost like 5 games all post season. Give credit where it is due.

All NHL starters have started at zero. There's no reason right now to think Cory will not soon be among them.

bobssig.jpg

this is why i shaked my head at those Canuck fans that cheered on the fLames to make the playoffs... that fan base is stupid as f thats the fan base that still to this day are convinced Alberts faked going down for a call on hit on that McGrattan hit that sent him to retirement. 

I hated that fan base since 04 and will forever hate them. they have such a huge inferiority complex about our team and the city/province. I hope we dispose of these losers quickly. 

#50 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,351 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:49 PM

He'll probably have a great first 15 games, go something like 12-2-1 then really start to stumble.

Young goalies don't deal well with fatigue because they've never been exposed to it before. The first 25 games out of an 82 game schedule followed by 20+ more is comparatively nothing.

I'd rather he play well in the last 25 games of the season than the first.
Posted Image

#51 Canuckfan1968

Canuckfan1968

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:03 PM

So your saying 60 games in the AHL is different then in the NHL? interesting clearly the only difference is the players, their skill level and the speed of the game. Cory plays with alot of poise in the net, which loungo looks unsure about his saves. You dont see Cory looking behind him as much as loungo to see if the puck has trickled in the net.

Edited by Canuckfan1968, 03 August 2012 - 09:04 PM.

#52 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:22 PM

Yea he might have a couple. That's why I see him
losing 8 total games in his first 25 games.

I see Luongo getting praised for being able to handle the pressure and fatigue/conditioning this season.
Posted Image

#53 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:26 PM

Could you elaborate on your opinion using the expertise you have on the goaltending position you claim to have?

It's hard to argue with just that line.

he was average...did not have a great year....and was poor in october, a few hiccups here and there and did not save us in the playoffs...I just didn't see him as one of our best players

#54 Underachieving Hero of CDC

Underachieving Hero of CDC

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:11 PM

He hasn't had a big slump anytime in at least the last 4 years. Why on earth would you expect one from him as soon as he hits the ice next season?

#55 Canuckfan1968

Canuckfan1968

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:54 PM

@Canucklehead420. Neither did loungo when he first started as a number 1 goalie and you point is? Trust me you will be eating your words when this year starts.

Edited by Canuckfan1968, 03 August 2012 - 11:55 PM.

#56 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:35 AM

wonder if Schneider can impersonate Luongo?

Posted Image

#57 NUCKS4CUP 28

NUCKS4CUP 28

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,350 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 05:02 AM

So your saying 60 games in the AHL is different then in the NHL? interesting clearly the only difference is the players, their skill level and the speed of the game. Cory plays with alot of poise in the net, which loungo looks unsure about his saves. You dont see Cory looking behind him as much as loungo to see if the puck has trickled in the net.

Lol @ thinking because someone can do something in the AHL they can automatically do it in the NHL.
Posted Image

Believe in bLUOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

#58 KING ALBERTS

KING ALBERTS

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:47 AM

solid i get.. but sustained? rise to the occasion? ... maybe a little more meaning would be cool

like 'top 5 stats' 'top in wins' 'brutal meltdown' 'average goaltending'
Posted ImagePosted Image

i fel off the banwagon and hit my hed on a rok

#59 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:34 AM

solid i get.. but sustained? rise to the occasion? ... maybe a little more meaning would be cool

like 'top 5 stats' 'top in wins' 'brutal meltdown' 'average goaltending'

perhaps ill explain.

sustained: Have good games, and bounce back from losses and maintain a GAA, and SAVE% doesn't have to be #1

Rise to the occasion: completely own the division, displays of god-like goal tending . highlight saves every game. Have the ability to turn games around and become a gamebreaker.

Edited by pwnstar, 05 August 2012 - 11:36 AM.

Posted Image

#60 Canucklehead420

Canucklehead420

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 12:57 PM

Schneider has put in his time in the AHL(136 reg. season, 34 playoffs), which believe it or not, is a very high level of pro hockey.

His numbers on the Moose overall were excellent, and he even won three rounds in the playoffs to make the Finals.

Combine that with Schneider's 68 NHL starts. That's more than enough experience to tell me that he's ready for full time NHL hockey. They aren't starting an 18 year old rookie with no pro experience here boys. He was able to beat the LA Kings once in the playoffs, they only lost like 5 games all post season. Give credit where it is due.

All NHL starters have started at zero. There's no reason right now to think Cory will not soon be among them.

as high as a level as the AHL is there is quite a difference from the NHL. provided Lou gets moved Cory will face the best shooters in the world nite in nite out for up to 65 games. something hes done once in 2010 with the Moose. his career AHL GAA is 2.28 when his workload increased to 60+ it ballooned up to 2.51 . his playoff numbers were not so impressive either. GAA over 3.00 save pct. just over .900

I'm not wishing him to fail if he comes out and gets 40 wins and takes us deep in the playoffs I'll be the first to give him props but i think were putting to high of expectations on him.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.