The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Christy Clark's Religion Comments Spark Criticism From B.C. Atheists

Sharpshooter

I have been waiting for a NFL football star to score a touchdown and thank Allah for the help and inspiration.

I do think Ms clark should be asked "Just which decisions did you reach using your holy book for guidance?"

Were she Muslim.sikh,Satanist or others there would have been a huge outcry, but since she referenced her Christian god the christains have no problem with her.

If your foundation is based on Christian principles, then it still contains traces of Christianity.

“The Declaration of Independence dogmatically bases all rights on the fact that God created all men equal; and it is right; for if they were not created equal, they were certainly evolved unequal. There is no basis for democracy except in a dogma about the divine origin of man.”

- G.K. Chesterton

If your foundation is based on Christian principles, then it still contains traces of Christianity.

“The Declaration of Independence dogmatically bases all rights on the fact that God created all men equal; and it is right; for if they were not created equal, they were certainly evolved unequal. There is no basis for democracy except in a dogma about the divine origin of man.”

- G.K. Chesterton

- G.K. Chesterton

"Christianity neither is, nor ever was a part of the common law."

- Thomas Jefferson

"And the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerve in the brain of Jupiter. But may we hope that the dawn of reason and freedom of thought in these United States will do away with this artificial scaffolding, and restore to us the primitive and genuine doctrines of this most venerated reformer of human errors."

- Thomas Jefferson

"And the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter"

- Thomas Jefferson

- G.K. Chesterton

Most of my family was exterminated like vermin by Stalin's firing squad in 1937 because they belonged to an invisible minority. We can't even visit anyone because they were all thrown in mass graves and no one knows where they are. Oppression is nothing new here, but despite our tragic history I don't go around waving flags and being "overt" about my affiliations . Nor do I find it appropriate to use the oppression of my ancestors as a giant soap box for own agenda.

As for the gay pride thing, it's like a rags to riches story. You were in rags all your life and suddenly you win the lottery so you go on and buy the tackiest most expensive junk to show off how much money you have now. You just can't be modest about it. Nobody likes that kind of showing off. If you are able to come out now as never before, that is great, but it is still only one part of you and often many make it the only part about them. Basically you determine how much of a big deal it is to others by how much of a big deal it is to you. It's come to the point where quite a lot of it is imposing. Like meeting someone and they shake your hand and say "Hi, I am Christy and I am a lesbian." Uhm, okay. But I'm not sure how that is going to help me order lunch.

Good for Christy Clark. It's good to have something positive for one to reach out to when in times of trial. The origin for the name Christy, even means, "of Christ". She's living up to her name for what she personally believes in.

Atheists always have something to b!tch about. Many on this board are no different. Always a disgusting attitude towards all things religion. It's one thing not to agree with her beliefs, it's another thing to attack, criticize & mock them when they clearly are in no position to do so.

The ironic thing is, she by no means is the first Premier to use religion. Bill Vander Zalm's "Biblical Garden" he had built comes to mind. Canada & The US as a whole, were built on religious beliefs and still obviously incorporate them today. After the Colorado shootings, The president read from the Bible on television, calling a time for prayer & reflection. Nobody dared to publicly criticise that. Many interviewed cite their faith in God in help them through things, for guidance & direction, because sometimes that's all one has.

So many people blame and bash religion constantly for what is wrong with the world, when it's just as much of the loud-mouth finger-pointing, negative attitude about it that adds fuel to the fire. If all the outspoken atheists can do is put-down and talk garbage about these things and the people that believe it, how on earth is that helping any? It's not, it's just giving other people headaches.

I hate to disappoint the atheists that actually care about something so trivial and petty such as this, but this is nothing new, and religion will never go away. As long as the world turns, it will be there, and people in major influential power will use it.

Atheist: "Keep religion away from politics, please"

Theist: "Sure, we won't force others into believing"

Atheist: "How about your values? Keep them out of politics please"

Theist: "So I can't believe in religion?"

Atheist: "Yes you can, you can believe in it, just don't believe in them"

Theist: "So, I don't have religious freedom?"

Atheist: "You do, you can do whatever you want!"

Theist: "And I choose to believe in right morals and right principles, found in MY belief!"

Atheist: "Sorry, that isn't keeping religion out of politics you see"

Theist: "Then what values and morals should I believe in?"

Atheist: "Believe in what Atheists believe in"

Theist: "And what exactly is that? What moral standard do all Atheists hold to?"

Atheist: "We just make sure we're happy"

Theist: "You're happy? So what makes you happy"

Atheist: "Things that benefit us, helps us, contributes to us, etc etc."

Theist: "So if something didn't make you happy, you wouldn't do it?"

Atheist: "Exactly!"

Theist: "So what makes you happy should apply for everyone?"

Atheist: "No.. of course not. Not everyone is like me."

Theist: "So we should make everyone happy to their own accord?"

Atheist: "Yes!"

Theist: "Is that the golden rule, to make sure you are happy?"

Atheist: "Yes!"

Theist: "What if one person's happiness is another person's sorrow?"

Atheist: "Then too bad"

Theist: "Then there's no consistency?"

Atheist: "Not really, we go with the flow"

Theist: "What if being happy requires the world to shift all its resources to you, making others poor and hungry? Is that okay?"

Atheist: "A crucifix was good enough for Jesus, so they say" .. TL

Archived