The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who are the top 3 Canucks currently on the team you wish we didn't sign?

vcr1970

I see a lot of posts about players the fans dislike after they are traded by the Canucks (e.g. Matt Cooke, Raffi Torres, Todd Bertuzzi) but surely these players didn't just "turn" bad after leaving Vancouver.

So who are the 3 players on the Canucks you wish weren't signed/traded for?  That could be for a bad contract, a player that doesn't fit in, poor performance, etc.).

Mine are:

1)Raymond

I'm not sure why we re-signed this guy.  We could've put the money in the piggy bank to resign someone like Shane Doan.  Every $ counts.

2)Ballard - it hasn't worked out since day 1 and his contract is brutal!

3)Kassian - I would take Hodgson as a healthy scratch any day (for when we need him) vs. a Kassian in the minors!

Garrison- I am not against getting the player just at the contract we got him at. I could be wrong but i dont think it was a good idea to sign him to that type of contract after one maybe two good years, if he goes back to being a normal player we will be stuck with a ridiculous contract over 6 years. Then again if he is consistent with the stats of last year then we will get a steal. Huge risk high reward. I hope he proves me wrong.

Weise- Why? he brings a little bit of a physical presence but he cant fight and he doesnt score.

Luongo- Again not against the player but the contract, 12 years? Really? Great caphit but too long. I guess we had no faith in schneider. I do understand why we did it however.

I don't really have major problems with any of them right now. Maybe Booth is one of the most disappointing so far, but he was a gamble to start with. Ballard's an easy target because he's getting paid $4.2 to play on the bottom pairing, but he's had some injuries and I don't think he's been given a "fair shot", really. He played better last year than he did the year before. I think he's easily capable of playing on our 2nd pairing, but it's not like he'll get a chance to do so this year unless there are injuries.

Everyone likes to point the finger at Raymond. Yeah, he falls a lot and yeah, he hasn't lived up to expectations recently. He's far from my favourite player but he's playing on a 1-year $2.275 million contract. He has time to train and he's (mostly?) healthy going into a longer off-season. The pay cut should serve as motivation for him to improve. I think that as long as he can stay healthy, he'll pull himself up. If not, it's a 1-year contract... we'll see what happens.

I still don't understand the contempt people have for Kassian. Apparently his biggest fault is not being Hodgson. Get over it... the deal is already done. Remember that he's also a year younger than Hodgson, has one less year in the NHL, and that people generally were not sold on Hodgson in his first NHL season (although it was a shorter season than Kassian's). Hodgson's entry level contract is also up after next season, and something tells me he'll want a big payday. We have an extra year with Kassian on his EL contract and he's making half as much as Hodgson. He's also clearly making strides during the off-season. We won't know who "won" the trade for a while (if it's not a win-win), but I certainly have no problems with it so far.

"bad contract, a player that doesn't fit in, poor performance, etc."

1) Ballard

2) Booth

big gap.....

T3) Alberts / Raymond / Malhotra

reasons:

TOI/G stat for Ballard. Losing Salo and keeping Ballard makes no sense to me at all.

+/- stat for Booth. Kesler and Higgins at +11. Booth at +1. Something is not right here.

Nothing really to complain about with Alberts, Raymond and Malhotra, just wish them better this season to play up to their cap hits. I am pretty confident they will.

If you read my second paragraph it says signed or traded for.And don't get me wrong, its not Kassian's fault he was involved in the Hodgson trade but we should have gotten way more for him.  Those who think we won that trade are basing it on what??? One is a player in the NHL and the other isn't.

Nobody. Booth's contract is maybe $1 million or so too high, but we traded for him (like Ballard) and he still has potential. Malhotra is the one player that Gillis has signed who is probably making too much money at the moment and that's only based on one weak season coming off an injury.

And I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want Weise on our fourth line. He's great defensively, isn't horrendous in the offensive zone and isn't afraid to drop the gloves. With pure goons (hopefully) becoming a thing of the past, Weise is exactly what you want on your fourth line.

I see a lot of posts about players the fans dislike after they are traded by the Canucks (e.g. Matt Cooke, Raffi Torres, Todd Bertuzzi) but surely these players didn't just "turn" bad after leaving Vancouver.

So who are the 3 players on the Canucks you wish weren't signed/traded for? That could be for a bad contract, a player that doesn't fit in, poor performance, etc.).

Mine are:

1)Raymond

I'm not sure why we re-signed this guy. We could've put the money in the piggy bank to resign someone like Shane Doan. Every $ counts.

2)Ballard - it hasn't worked out since day 1 and his contract is brutal!

3)Kassian - I would take Hodgson as a healthy scratch any day (for when we need him) vs. a Kassian in the minors!

Archived