69 replies to this topic

#61 MadMonk

MadMonk

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:36 AM

We have realized the problem. It is well documented and studied.

I'm not sure we all do. At least there aren't enough people who understands the stakes sufficiently to make politicians take the problem seriously. When you decide who to vote for, how much importance do you give to climate change? For a lot of people probably none.

And that is precisely the issue.

You can be cynical about politicians and big oil, but at end of the day it happens because we don't care enough yet.

#62 Eh! Team

Eh! Team

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:00 AM

I'm not sure we all do. At least there aren't enough people who understands the stakes sufficiently to make politicians take the problem seriously. When you decide who to vote for, how much importance do you give to climate change? For a lot of people probably none.

And that is precisely the issue.

You can be cynical about politicians and big oil, but at end of the day it happens because we don't care enough yet.

It's climate change it happens.

You know they have found palm trees in antarctica recently. Wonder how those grew under all that snow. Ahh climate change you bastard, it's been going on forever.

This planet survived volcanos, dinosaur poop, and the ice age. You think it's gonna tap out over this?

The worst part about oil is that we pull the stuff out of fault lines....

Example : Let's just take all the cartilage out of someone's knee and see what happens.

#63 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,438 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:16 AM

You know they have found palm trees in antarctica recently. Wonder how those grew under all that snow. Ahh climate change you bastard, it's been going on forever.

This planet survived volcanos, dinosaur poop, and the ice age. You think it's gonna tap out over this?

Example : Let's just take all the cartilage out of someone's knee and see what happens.

Chances are great that Mother Earth will even survive we Homo Sapiens .. she just may expel us all a lot earlier at the rate we are going, and the way we are treating her .. even "Mothers" have limit's ..

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#64 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:18 AM

The issue, and therefore the danger ISN'T that the climate changes or is changing, it's the rate or speed at which which human or 'our' activity is causing the climate to change.

The 'danger' ISN'T to the planet, it's to 'us'. It's a 'clear and present' danger, that's already started taking land, livelihoods, and lives. The lives aren't relegated to human life either.

At the risk of sounding alarmist, the signs around the planet assure us that 'the fuse' has been lit....the question is, what are we going to do about it?

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#65 Eh! Team

Eh! Team

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:39 AM

How are we ahead of schedule? We are right on schedule. There is no other schedule.

I understand we ain't helping, don't be scared but there's 7 billion people on this planet. We WILL figure this out.

#66 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,438 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:47 AM

How are we ahead of schedule? We are right on schedule. There is no other schedule.

I understand we ain't helping, don't be scared but there's 7 billion people on this planet. We WILL figure this out.

That's what the Mayan's thought .. B)

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#67 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:57 AM

Who said anything about a 'schedule'?

It's not that we aren't helping.....we're the cause and we're continuing to be exacerbating the rate at which the climate is changing, to our own collective detriment.

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#68 MadMonk

MadMonk

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:30 PM

The fundamental issue here is that currently we are changing the climate, and the change in climate will likely result in real economical costs, whether due to changes in precipitation pattern, rise in sea level, ocean acidification, and more frequent heat waves etc.

Yes the Antarctic used to be much warmer, but guess why? The CO2 level back then was of the order of 1000ppm. Now if we burn all the oil and gas we'll be sitting at about 500ppm. If we burn all coal, and unconventional sources including all tar sand, methane hydrates we will be looking at 1000+ppm. Here is the historical evidence that we are capable of dramatically altering the climate.

The Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum (PETM), which an interesting event that occurred 55 million years ago, saw an increase of 5-6 degrees in global temperature over 20,000 years, or 2.5-3 degrees over 100 centuries. The change is most likely due to a rapid increase in atmospheric CO2 that is around 700ppm. This excursion was considered to be very abrupt, and led to significant extinctions and changes in the biosphere in general.

We are now projected to increase the temperature at 2.5-3 degrees in 1 century, or a rate that is 100 times faster. The current "worse case scenario" for CO2 emission projects an atmospheric CO2 of 1000ppm by 2100, or an increase of 700ppm over preindustrial conditions over a century.

Yes the earth will continue to orbit around the sun, yes life will still exist, human will survive, but the point is conditions will be dramatically different. Given there is very good historical and experimental evidence that we are about to do something dramatic, are you really going to just brush the issue off without even considering what the possible costs are?

Edited by MadMonk, 23 August 2012 - 01:32 PM.

#69 Dittohead

Dittohead

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,189 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:43 PM

might be good idea to buy land up north.

#70 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:53 PM

might be good idea to buy land up north.

Be a better idea to protect what we have currently, imo.

Plus, the North will have its own climate challenges to deal with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.