The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

Huge moves today premium on top safeties and defensive players. Hearing Decker to the Colts in some rumors.

Can't believe Eagles were not more aggressive going after Byrd a guy from Oregon.

Then they release Chung who was a bust because he was forced to play as a coverage guy at times when he is strictly a box safety.

Saints have 2 great safeties now as good as anybodies in the league. They are definitely on the road to becoming a more physical team with a heavier emphasis on running the ball and an aggressive defense to compete in the NFC with San fran, Seattle, Carolina and all the other hard hitting defenses.

Byrd visiting with the saints.

Byrd and Vaccaro would be an awesome safety tandem. I doubt we can really afford Byrd but I hope it happens !

It happened!! Interested about Jenkins. What is his deal? Converted corner is he limited to just free safety?

Can he cover and tackle? Clearly no Byrd but hopefully an upgrade on all the trash the last few years.

Sounds like a finesse guy like McCourty on the Patriots. Converted corner with good range.

Still need another quality starting strong safety opposite him now.

Edited by Chip Kelly

Kind of frustrated Pats couldn't keep Talib, especially since he signed with Satin Manning and the Broncos...

Understandable but frustrating. Had one good year on a contract year and gets paid; as an athlete, makes sense to take the money at that point so you don't have to prove your worth again which may not work out. Glad at the same time cause Talib isn't worth that sort if money after just one good year and I'm sure the Pats were offering something along the lines of $6 mill per year with short term whereas Broncs upped the term and money.

Kind of frustrated Pats couldn't keep Talib, especially since he signed with Satin Manning and the Broncos...

Understandable but frustrating. Had one good year on a contract year and gets paid; as an athlete, makes sense to take the money at that point so you don't have to prove your worth again which may not work out. Glad at the same time cause Talib isn't worth that sort if money after just one good year and I'm sure the Pats were offering something along the lines of $6 mill per year with short term whereas Broncs upped the term and money.

I have no idea why you guys are sad about this, like you said Talib had 1 good season and now you're being heavily linked to the by far the best CB in the NFL in Revis. Thats like a burr to ovie upgrade I'd be estatic if I was Pats fan.

Then I also see you have Lafell visiting you're team, thats funny cuz I mentioned that months ago on here as a good fit. I'd say if those two moves go thru that should easily get you thru to the AFC Championship.

My chargers signed Donald Brown today, I'm not sure I really get that move would've rather given that 3rd rb spot to a rookie but oh well. TT coming from Indy probably expains that. Apparently we are also in running on hakeem knicks, I'd love that as signing, someone to take some attention off of Keenan Allen

^Nicks and Allen would be a solid duo and Allen could learn a thing or two from his veteran experience.

As for Pats, yea that is true for sure. A bonified, annually consistent Revis >>>> Talib but there's no certainty we will get him, that's the problem. If we don't, we're pretty much stuck and knowing the Pats, will fill it out in the draft and have the inexperienced rookie play :/

^thats true its not a sure thing but I'm just hearing a lot chatter about it, and from Revis standpoint who was pissed off last year the way schiano was using him, I'm sure playing for BB would be a dream. I'm really high Revis, no offense to Sherman, Hayden or Peterson but I just think his cover abilitiies are just on whole other level. Which is saying a lot. For the rest of the AFC sake I hope it doesn't happen, but if I was you I'd be pretty excited about that possibility

It happened!! Interested about Jenkins. What is his deal? Converted corner is he limited to just free safety?

Can he cover and tackle? Clearly no Byrd but hopefully an upgrade on all the trash the last few years.

Sounds like a finesse guy like McCourty on the Patriots. Converted corner with good range.

Still need another quality starting strong safety opposite him now.

Can't believe it happened! Love our safety tandem of Byrd and Vaccaro.

For Jenkins, Sometimes he's great, other times he's awful (like most of that 2012 season).

He was a corner converted to safety, he can play the nickel sometimes. He's more of a coverage guy not really a ball hawking safety. He's really up and down. Like a lot of the saints players on defense over the last few years, he's had his fair share of problems making tackles. He's allowed a lot of big plays over the last few years. He did improve though a lot under Rob Ryan this last season.

Like I said he has ups and downs. He's not bad overall and should be a solid upgrade.

Not upset about losing Talib. Great amount of talent, love what he did for our team, but hard for him to stay healthy. 6+ million a year is a bit of overpayment for him IMO just because I don't think Denver will get 16 games + playoffs out of him. Another reason I'm not upset about losing him is that the Pats are one of 4 teams (falcons, giants, eagles) who have called Revis, and I'm liking the Pats chances to land him over the other 3.

Liking Brandon LaFell visiting the Pats today. Underrated guy IMO, was in the shadows of Steve Smith (who ironically is also out in Carolina) and could work very well with Brady.

Like usual, Belichick isn't going after the big names, he's going the value village route and will somehow get no names to produce. It's kind of annoying as a fan considering the names that were/are out there that would have helped big time. And what's with not re-signing Edelman yet? C'mon man.

Pats reportedly to sign Revis.

Per numerous sources, Tampa Bay is set to release corner Darrelle Revis before the 4pm deadline today, making the all-pro corner an unrestricted free agent for the first time in his career. At the same time, ESPN’s Mike Reiss reported today that the Patriots have informed nose tackle Isaac Sopoaga he will be released. This move will save the Patriots $3.5mil in cap space this season.

Releasing Isaac Sopoaga clears $3.5M in cap space for the Patriots. Team is currently in healthy position from cap standpoint for 2014.

Increases the chances a lot that the Pats will sign Revis Island. It's already reported Revis said he'd welcome the opportunity to sign with the Pats and we need a player of his calibre after losing Talib to Denver.

Likely sign the shutdown corner to a long and more lucrative contract than what Talib signed for. If this happens, I'm happy. Talib and Revis are both 28 years old. Revis has consistently proven his worth year after year whereas Talib can be a fluke, the next Cromartie/Oakland. Yessir, love this, especially since Revis will want to win a SB, what better place to go than New England? :)

Not upset about losing Talib. Great amount of talent, love what he did for our team, but hard for him to stay healthy. 6+ million a year is a bit of overpayment for him IMO just because I don't think Denver will get 16 games + playoffs out of him. Another reason I'm not upset about losing him is that the Pats are one of 4 teams (falcons, giants, eagles) who have called Revis, and I'm liking the Pats chances to land him over the other 3.

Liking Brandon LaFell visiting the Pats today. Underrated guy IMO, was in the shadows of Steve Smith (who ironically is also out in Carolina) and could work very well with Brady.

Like usual, Belichick isn't going after the big names, he's going the value village route and will somehow get no names to produce. It's kind of annoying as a fan considering the names that were/are out there that would have helped big time. And what's with not re-signing Edelman yet? C'mon man.

heyy I remember you, the guy that was complaining because Talib got injured saying Bronco's beat the Pats without their best defensive play..

What's crazy about all these huge deals now, is that everyone gets either cut/traded before the contract time is up. I just don't understand the "Business" side of football sometimes. Why not just do a 3-4 year deal instead of huge deals such as this? Prolly has to do with the guaranteed money or whatever but still stupid.

Teams can sign a guy to a massive deal and cut him without anything to not pay him...just stupid and then they can restructure contracts which has it's pros and cons. But what's the point of contracts and signings then when you can cancel them out in a blink of the eye and not have to pay any consequence? Look at hockey for instance - way more strategical and you can't erase a signing by simply cutting a guy.