The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Religion cannot be proven by worldly sciences

Super19

Religion's standing on morality is on shaky ground as well. But while philosophers discuss the morality of implementing certain scientific advancements, science will continue implementing those advancements regardless.

Man's quest for immortality supersedes all else 9 times out of 10.

In a way science, too, is at an end. Obviously not as concerning the inconsequential stuff like helping to churn out more gadgets to fuel our hedonism, but as a tool to help answer the eternal questions of where we came from, who we are, where we are going, and why are we here, mighty science has not help dent one iota. We are no further than the Greeks were over two millennia ago.

Even cursory knowledge of quantum mechanics, Bell’s Theorem, and non-locality is sufficient proof of what an utter dead end science has come to. Given that QM is spooky and underlies all other hard sciences, that as they say is that.

This thread is poorly named. Religion is but a conduit for knowing God, a school of thought if you will. It ought to be concerned with afterlife but that is not always the case (google “Holocaustianity” for a modern phenomenon). Questions about heaven or why so-and-so happens to [fill name of innocent] does not fluster a follower of other faiths, or even the more educated Christians.

Lord Krishna, for example, gave his sermon on a battlefield, urging his disciple Arjana to do his worse, in a civil war no less. And why wouldn’t he if life is but one of countless opportunities for “The One” to experience joy, misery and everything in between, not normally available to an omnipotent in another state. All life is movement: perpetual pendulum between the good and the bad, without the possibility or being 100% sure if the characterization fits, kind of like QM itself actually.

In a way science, too, is at an end. Obviously not as concerning the inconsequential stuff like helping to churn out more gadgets to fuel our hedonism, but as a tool to help answer the eternal questions of where we came from, who we are, where we are going, and why are we here, mighty science has not help dent one iota. We are no further than the Greeks were over two millennia ago.

Guest Gumballthechewy

What I don't understand is why can't people just realise that other people are going to have different beliefs, you don't have to believe what they believe so let them believe what they want to believe. The one thing thing in this world that I can't stand is when other people try and cram their beliefs down other peoples throats. I don't believe in or approve of religion but I have several friends who are religious, we don't try and convert each other and we get along quite well.

What I don't understand is why can't people just realise that other people are going to have different beliefs, you don't have to believe what they believe so let them believe what they want to believe. The one thing thing in this world that I can't stand is when other people try and cram their beliefs down other peoples throats. I don't believe in or approve of religion but I have several friends who are religious, we don't try and convert each other and we get along quite well.

And without critical wisdom and moral thought we would have destroyed each other with nuclear bombs. Science needs guidance. Not sure if you get this or not, but scientific study does not produce moral foundation.

You didn't answer my question. Here it is again:

This is my take on the whole thing of spreading the gospel.

Basically Christians are tasked to spread truth. We believe that there is truth in God, and truth in Jesus. We also think it's in people's best interest that they find out this truth.

So to open minded people who honestly seek truth, they should have no problem in considering what Christians have to say. But I guess to closed minded people who don't care about truth, then they feel the most annoyance.

And without critical wisdom and moral thought we would have destroyed each other with nuclear bombs. Science needs guidance. Not sure if you get this or not, but scientific study does not produce moral foundation.

You didn't answer my question. Here it is again:

If we can clone human beings at 100% success rate, should we make clones of ourselves so we can "farm" them for organs/limbs in an attempt to secure our future livelihood? Why or why not? What foundation do you have to reach this conclusion?

Archived