The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Retire Luongo's Number?

Jägermeister

222 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Absolutely not. For a team like Vancouver who's never won a cup in 42 years and only have 1 HHOFmer to have 6 retired numbers is crazy. I say 6 because 12, 16, 19 are already retired, 22 and 33 WILL get retired and now 1 is getting retired too? That's too many. As a comparison, the Oilers and their 5 cups have 7 retired numbers and the NYI and their 4 cups have 6 retired numbers. The Canucks are gonna have 5 retired numbers for a very long time.

35 Going up? Lol come on now lets not get ahead of ourselves he hasn't even played a full season and you think he'll retire here with his number up in the rafters? That's what everyone thought of Luongo and now he's getting run out of town.

Get real please.

Honestly, I don't see Luongo's number actually being retired by the Canucks, however I feel like you could make a case that it could be.

He played 6 season with us, which is more than some who have had their numbers retired by other teams, and was arguably one of the best goalies in the league during that time frame.

He holds the vast majority of our goaltending records, for both season and career numbers.

He was our Captain for 2 years (whether it was a good decision is up for debate), becoming the first goaltender to be given the "C" in 60 years.

He played in 3 All-Star games, won the Molson Cup for the Canucks 4 times, was our MVP 2 times, won a Jennings, had a Pearson and Hart nomination, and had 3 Vezina nominations.

His list of accomplishments is certainly worthy of having the idea of having his number being hung up being discussed.

So as it stand now, if we were to trade Lu this season, would you think we should retire his number once he retires?

IMHO Smyl and Linden's numbers are the only two that should be retired. They might not have put the numbers up that Naslund did but they were leaders on the ice. They took their teams to the CUP finals which Naslund didn't come close to doing. As their careers wound down they were able to adapt their games to still benefit the club which again, Naslund was not able to do.

If he had scored more goals in game 7 of the SCF and won the Stanley single handed then I'd say yes. Unfortunately his supporting cast gave up in the final game. Sorry lou, no retired jersey for you. You will be remembered 10 years from now as the best goal tender the Canucks ever had that they let slip away though so I think you get the last laugh.

Too soon to ask this question, but for what I believe he has done here, yes he deserves his number retired. Naslund got his, Linden never won anything and he did.

You know it’s funny as read all the hate on Luo, I see things like he has not won anything, inconstancies and ECT…. Yet if you all read his stats and look at what he has done here, you will see that he is the best we have ever had.

Then I read things like McKlean deserves it more and Sedins are sure things. Yet none of them brought us a cup. I am a huge McKlean fan but lets not forget that he was traded not long after the 94 run. His play was average at best. Sedins are great yet they have more inconstancies in the playoffs or when games count then most top players. Yet they get a pass and take no blame for not winning us the cup?

You people need to give your head a shake and stop putting all the blame on Luo. He has his issues yes, but to be treated with such contempt is sad.

Too soon to ask this question, but for what I believe he has done here, yes he deserves his number retired. Naslund got his, Linden never won anything and he did.

You know it’s funny as read all the hate on Luo, I see things like he has not won anything, inconstancies and ECT…. Yet if you all read his stats and look at what he has done here, you will see that he is the best we have ever had.

Then I read things like McKlean deserves it more and Sedins are sure things. Yet none of them brought us a cup. I am a huge McKlean fan but lets not forget that he was traded not long after the 94 run. His play was average at best. Sedins are great yet they have more inconstancies in the playoffs or when games count then most top players. Yet they get a pass and take no blame for not winning us the cup?

You people need to give your head a shake and stop putting all the blame on Luo. He has his issues yes, but to be treated with such contempt is sad.

Archived