The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Retire Luongo's Number?

Jägermeister

222 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What the hell?

If you're going to compare him to Brodeur, why don't you compare the fact that Luongo had to play in two of the crappiest organizations ever? (NYI and FLA) It's pretty spectacular that he has that many wins playing half his career on crap teams.

I was most definitely NOT comparing Luongo to Brodeur.

What I wrote was in reference to Luongo being in 2nd place on the active shutouts list, who is number 1? Marty with 119.

Also, Luongo barely played for the Islanders, somewhere between 20-30 games. Yes the Panthers sucked at the time, which dispells the illusion that Luongo can carry any team into the playoffs.

Luongo single handedly put us back in the series with a shutout in game 5, you would think that would swing the momentum back the other way. But it didn't because nothing was going to spark our offense in that series. 1.14 goals for a game, i'd like to see any goalie win a series with that.

Look at vs the Kings, even after Schneider went in and put up a 1.33GAA we still lost 2 of the 3 games he played.

his performance in that game cost us the series. it removed any doubt the bruins had after the first two games of their ability to get enough goals to avoid elimination. the confidence they gained by ventilating luongo in that game carried them to the cup.

the playoffs are all about momentum. look at the kings this year. they grabbed it and never let go of it.

with luongo in goal we've never had that option.

Luongo's play was always supplemented by the quality of d men in front of him.

That is true of almost any goalie -anywhere.

The Canucks had one d man that was not injured and a rookie that has never scored an NHL goal left to play against Boston.

Give up the hatred and smell the salt.

You cant put all of the blame on one player but on the other hand Luongo played the most important position on the team. As an "elite" goaltender, it is his job not to let games get out of hand especially when they are the most important. He has allowed that to happen numerous times in all of his playoffs after 2007.

While that may be true, he also had many great games in the playoffs and made numberous important saves when the team needed them most (Sharp in OT, Smyth against the Kings back in 2010 etc.)

And I also think that his groin injury forced him to change his game, and firing his goalie coach didn't help with that

Archived