The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Snowboard & Ski Thread

Armada

Man at least you guys can get the snow guns going at Cypress, I think Seymour might still be on an all natural snow program or they just have very limited snow guns. I've been thinking about buying a day pass for Cypress or Grouse just to get a little fix. How's the park looking at Cypress? I heard they've made some big upgrades in the last few years.

The park is the one thing we have going. We've got two parks open right now, The Patio Park and the Skate Park both have small to medium kickers and features. We opened another chairlifts but the weather looks grim for the North Shore mountains with rain for the next 5 days.

I went on friday and its definitely a big improvement on last year. Waiting to get 2 more parks opened as we get more snow + the Air Bag.

This is what it is like for Aussie skiers , it is not very often that we have snow for opening weekend and the first 3-4 weeks , last season was a window of 5-6 weeks of reasonable cover.

I was going to say its been a very "Australian winter".

Haven't been able to touch a tree run yet except when I went to Whistler. Its just been freakishly nice this Winter in the city with no rain but just sun. Most of our snow is man made just because its been so sunny and cold. Plus when its raining, its not snowing like it usually would be.

The park is the one thing we have going. We've got two parks open right now, The Patio Park and the Skate Park both have small to medium kickers and features. We opened another chairlifts but the weather looks grim for the North Shore mountains with rain for the next 5 days.

I went on friday and its definitely a big improvement on last year. Waiting to get 2 more parks opened as we get more snow + the Air Bag.

I was going to say its been a very "Australian winter".

Haven't been able to touch a tree run yet except when I went to Whistler. Its just been freakishly nice this Winter in the city with no rain but just sun. Most of our snow is man made just because its been so sunny and cold. Plus when its raining, its not snowing like it usually would be.

I feel your pain brother really hope it starts puking snow for you , a ski-resort can be a bummer of a place to be with no snow, people can get really negative.

I feel your pain brother really hope it starts puking snow for you , a ski-resort can be a bummer of a place to be with no snow, people can get really negative.

Yup :lol: Had someone blame me for the lack of snow. Today on Christmas.

This season has been brutal, I'm so choked that this is the first season I decided to buy a season pass. Is there any chance Cypress would give season pass holders a partial refund or some extra credit if no more runs open for the rest of the seasons?

Not sure, I'll ask tomorrow, but I highly doubt that there will be no snow. Its still december and there has never been a season where not all runs have been open in Cypress Mountain's long history.

January and especially February + early march have ridiculous amounts of snow usually.

Trust me I know your pain, I had a silver pass last year and went over 50 times, this time around I've only got 3 times so far, be sure to do your snow dance.

After being able to snowboard up at Biggie since mid-November, I'm pretty disappointed with how the mountains out here are doing. Brought my board and all my gear home hoping to get a couple rides up at Washington, but I mean they got a reeeal nice base: mountwashington.ca/weather/alpine-snow-report.html

Worst of all, it's supposed to RAIN for the rest of the week.

Forreals, head into the interior. Our snow is still fine.

• 1 month later...

Well, after riding a decent pow day and 200cm base at Big White and hearing the rumours of Mount Washington re-closing due to having a 72cm base, I really feel bad for all the mountains out on the coast. These inversions are just killing the mountains.

http://www.onthesnow.ca/british-columbia/skireport.html?&ud=0&o=stop

Way too many mountains under 150cm. What a weird season!

Well, after riding a decent pow day and 200cm base at Big White and hearing the rumours of Mount Washington re-closing due to having a 72cm base, I really feel bad for all the mountains out on the coast. These inversions are just killing the mountains.

http://www.onthesnow...ml?&ud=0&o=stop

Way too many mountains under 150cm. What a weird season!

Haven't been paying attention to Mount Washington lately but always remember them having ridiculous bases, highest on the West Coast

Haven't been paying attention to Mount Washington lately but always remember them having ridiculous bases, highest on the West Coast

Yeah they always usually pull a cumulative snowfall of over 10 metres, usually one of the top 3 in North America. But for some reason every 10 years they get an unreal amount of snow at Christmas (over a metre in a night for 2-3 days), and then the next year is terrible like this.

I was up there for Christmas 11 years ago, 10 years ago they were only open for January (so basically, the same thing thus far). So unfortunate.

• 7 months later...

After last years dreadfully dry season.

Looks like we'll be having quite the dump this year, predictions are showing signs of a strong El Nino, bringing plenty of precipitation which should ultimately turn into A LOT of snow.

I don't want to jinx it but I to say this upcoming season will be having the heaviest dump since 1997 for the West Coast. Also, I'll be working at Cypress Mountain again this year, so feel free to drop by the Guest Relations office and we can go for a rip on the slopes!

Anyone get any new gear?

Gonna rock my 2012 Armada ARV's one more year and then I'll be replacing them but I am currently looking to add some Powder skis with touring bindings. Gonna go into the interior a bit more I hope.

I really want these new Armada Magic J Skis but its a hefty $749

armada-magic-j-skis-2015-170.jpg

Bought last years Solomon Sight board and new bindings after a couple years with my Burton, down to a 153" board. Excited for the winter, I'd love to get into BC more this year.

Sexy sleek board. Love the graphics on it.

Hoping for an early start at every resort.

Tragic news in the world of Skiing. J.P Auclair and Andreas Fransson were killed in an avalanche in Chile.

JP was hands down one of the greatest innovators, athletes and ambassadors to the world of skiing. He was also the founder of my favourite ski brand, Armada.

The ski world will greatly miss him. My greatest memory of him is when he is ripping through Trail, BC in All.I.Can.

The ski magazines called him the sport’s “renaissance man.” His close friends say he was the most humble man they had ever met. From his earliest days skiing icy moguls in his home province of Quebec, to pioneering ski film work, JP Auclair was one of the best skiers to ever emerge from Canada.

The 37-year-old from the Quebec City area, according to a report from BioBio Chile, died in an avalanche in the remote mountains of Chile on Monday, alongside fellow skier Andreas Fransson from Sweden. They were there filming for a new project.

There was an outpouring of condolences and grief online in the ski community on Tuesday afternoon, as the news emerged. Auclair was first known as a creative mogul skier, a leader of the “New Canadian Air Force,” and went on to become best known among fans for his urban skiing. His segment in the 2011 film All.I.Can, made by Whistler’s Sherpas Cinema, was a major online hit.

Shot in and around the small industrial city of Trail in the British Columbia interior, the segment exemplifies the type of playful, talented and one-of-a-kind skier Auclair was – dancing through the brown-snow gravelly streets on skis, over cars and through yards.

“He was just the most humble human being of all time,” said All.I.Candirector Dave Mossop, reached by telephone on Tuesday afternoon. Mossop struggled to compose his words, gutted by the news. “He represented the most wonderful qualities a human could have.”

BioBio described the mountain region where Auclair and Fransson died as extremely remote and along the border of Chile and Argentina, a peak named Monte San Lorenzo, also known as Mount Cochrane. Police have reportedly surveyed the avalanche site from the air.

Auclair was celebrated on Tuesday, as people grieved.

“When talking about the most creative minds in ski history, there are only two names in the conversation: Shane McConkey and JP Auclair. RIP,” tweeted writer Micah Abrams, also referencing American extreme skier McConkey, who died in 2009 in an accident in Italy.

Mike Douglas, another Canadian ski pioneer and long-time friend of Auclair, tweeted a single word: “Crushed.”

Auclair’s many industry accolades include being named one of National Geographic’s Adventurers of the Year for 2014.

He helped revolutionize skiing and ski equipment, working with manufacturer Salomon, and later co-founded Armada Skis.

In an interview with The Globe and Mail in 2013, when he was makingAll.I.Can followup Into The Mind with Sherpas Cinema, Auclair recalled how their usual method was one without official sanction. He and Mossop filmed the All.I.Can sequence by themselves – no crews or lights or any of the usual fixtures of movie making. Mossop in 2013 joked that the celebrated shoot was “highly illegal.”

For Into The Mind, Auclair and Sherpas Cinema filmed in Calgary with permits and city support, having been significantly buoyed by the success and awards for All.I.Can.

“We’re used to working on the ground, more like guerrilla-style with no permissions or anything,” Auclair told The Globe. “We usually just get kicked out of places.”

I must have missed this thread over the last couple years for whatever reason.

Sad news about Auclair and Fransson. Always sucks to lose icons.

I am pretty stoked for this season. I live in Oregon and the resorts at Mt. Hood have been pouring more money into ski/snowboard services the last few years. I used to go up during the summers as well but haven't the last couple seasons. New job, travel for said job and marriage took its toll on my snowboarding life. Only been a few times each of the last several seasons after being season pass holder for a decade prior.

Tragic news about JP and Andreas, huge blow to the ski world.

Stoked for this season to come already, got my Biggie pass, new Oakley Airbrakes, can't wait to get out especially after my season ending short with my broken collarbone last February. Big season ahead!

• 1 month later...

Quick question for those who skis.

I'm hoping to buying a pair of skis where the waist is 78mm. What size of bindings do I need for that? 80mm or something bigger?

You could even go for a 78mm brake but it might be snug depending on your ski sidewall.

80mm is perfect, highest I'd recommend is 95mm but that might be pushing it.

What kind of skis?

Archived