The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Snowboard & Ski Thread

Armada

Anyone know a good store or website to get really cheap wax irons?

EVO. I bought all my ski gear from them ($1500 worth and they're reliable). You'll get your shipment in less than 3 days through UPS.

In fact, if you don't want to pay shipping you can just go down to Seattle and pick it up at their shop.

Here's all the ski wax irons:

http://www.evo.com/s...ning-tools.aspx

In fact, I think I'm gonna get this one. The One Ball Jay Iron or the Swix one which is $60.

one-ball-jay-iron-front.jpg

Any reviews?

EVO. I bought all my ski gear from them ($1500 worth and they're reliable). You'll get your shipment in less than 3 days through UPS.

In fact, if you don't want to pay shipping you can just go down to Seattle and pick it up at their shop.

Here's all the ski wax irons:

http://www.evo.com/s...ning-tools.aspx

In fact, I think I'm gonna get this one. The One Ball Jay Iron or the Swix one which is $60.

one-ball-jay-iron-front.jpg

Any reviews?

One Ball Jay products rule .

We had one of those irons in our shop , got five years and thousands of boards out of it .

• 2 weeks later...

****Cypress + Locals update****

Sadly we were hit with warm temps last week that washed away all the snow from the week before but we're back in the cool again and it looks like we'll be hit with 5 days of flurries starting Sunday on the locals.

Cypress has been pumping out their snow guns straight since yesterday and they have a feet of snow covering all runs on Eagles side now.

Gonna be a nice base for the real snow that's gonna fall on top.

134816_10150325723489977_1669701621_o.jpg

599104_10150325722784977_1910437103_n.jpg

148145_10150325723069977_614847606_n.jpg

394163_10150325722829977_1437541479_n.jpg

****Whistler Update****

As for Whistler news. I can't wait, they'll be opening on the 22nd and I'm planned to go up on the 24th.

Here's Sean Petit (One of my favorite skiers) up on the Glacier tearing it up yesterday

423168_10151167359853402_351016830_n.jpg

536724_10151164786853402_431408026_n.jpg

Upcoming snowcast

screen-capture_zps73c4c221.png

Gonna be a good season. :towel:

Just a quick question... I have been snowboarding for 2 years, I am decent but I suck getting off the lift so is it possible to hold my board in my hands going up the lift?

No, it's not safe to do so. Just keep practicing and the most important part is, if you fall....GET THE HELL OUT OF THE WAY. Even if you have to crawl away, it's much better than getting a ski tip in your face.

Just get a stomp pad, or just press your boot hard against your empty binding. I usually have the toe of my boot hanging over (or heel depending on what direction I want to go) and precede to toe edge or heel edge when it's time to turn with one binding in.

Go to the bunny hill and practice. Hike back up (earning your turns lol) and practice again. I learned many moons ago up at Mount Baker. Your talking steep fourty foot runouts off the chair. Kids these day have it so easy with the detach quads.....I'll never forget the fear I had getting off chair 5 @ Baker. That mountain puts hair on your chest!

Just a quick question... I have been snowboarding for 2 years, I am decent but I suck getting off the lift so is it possible to hold my board in my hands going up the lift?

When I made the jump the first time to boarding I had the same problem. The best thing you can do is get a large stomp pad and place it in a natural spot for you to get to when its time to get off the lift.

the other thing I recommend is when the bar is lifted twist your body so you are facing with your leading shoulder. This will help with your balance and reduce knee and ankle injuries from twisting which leads to you losing balance and falling over.

My last suggestion is once you have successfully come off the lift and you have enough room to do so (which could be very quick depending) carve towards your toes. This will help you gain control and if you have to bail you have your hands to help with the fall.

In other Cypress news:

They're back with their 3rd annual video contest (First place gets a free Gold Pass, 2nd Silver pass and 3rd bronze pass.

Videographers and avid skiers and riders are invited to explore their inner Warren Miller for Cypress Mountain’s third annual video contest.

Amateur producers who can assemble their favourite moments from this season (2012-2013) on Cypress mountain, and produce it stylishly in a short video have a chance to win a first prize of a 2013-2014 Gold Season pass. A gold pass allows the cardholder access to unlimited downhill skiing and riding, seven days a week all season, with deep discounts on merchandise, lessons and rentals.

Second and third prize winners will net a silver and bronze gold passes respectively.

Last year’s first prize went to snowboarder Jimmy Sira, who shot an ethereal-looking video with his friends. It can be viewed here.

For a taste of what the judges are looking for, including Sira’s video, those of second and third place Shane Gregory and Mark Halliday, and details on this year’s requirements for video entries visit the Cypress website.

Deadline is Feb. 28.

http://www.vancouver...5280/story.html

I for one am going to pick up a GoPro HD Hero 3 and try to get some killer shots this season. I've been inspired by so many great artists on youtube that I've added to my collection

Hopefully I can make something rad and win!

In other Cypress news:

They're back with their 3rd annual video contest (First place gets a free Gold Pass, 2nd Silver pass and 3rd bronze pass.

http://www.vancouver...5280/story.html

I for one am going to pick up a GoPro HD Hero 3 and try to get some killer shots this season. I've been inspired by so many great artists on youtube that I've added to my collection

Hopefully I can make something rad and win!

We could make a pretty rad falls compilation.

Have you felt the urge to "light one up" yet :lol:

:ph34r:

I'm going back to skiing for the first time in 20 years. I'm going to take refresher lessons. Advice for the best place to learn from.

I've heard the instructors at Seymour are useless. Advice?

Seymour is the smallest mountain with the least difficult runs, in fact back when I was 11 that was where I first learned how to ski. I don't know where you heard that the instructors are useless, when I went they were great. I remember first learning "pizza french fry" :lol:

But I'm gonna be biased and go with Cypress having the best most professional instructors also known for having the best mountain experience. In the end, it really doesn't matter which local you go to cause all of the instructors learn and acquire their license from the same program. I'm actually going to have my first instructors lessons in January for my level 1.

Archived