The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Issues when the new Port Mann opens...

Bossy

I'm glad Abbotsford doesn't fall into the GVRD or MetroVancouver or whatever they're calling it now. I don't take the bus much but I know people who do. In Abbotsford, it costs $2 to ride the bus and they give you a 3 hour transfer window. Reasonable.

What's an average TransLink bus ticket cost? So often, it's cheaper to drive and quicker, too. People will pay the toll because they will get to work faster.

Most people won't notice, but they'll save gas from not idling on Hwy 1 and cut down on the wear and tear on her vehicles, too. Worth $6 a day? I don't know.... But if I still worked in Vancouver, I'd be on the bridge everyday.

PS: Building a SkyTrain right beside the highway that stops at every exit would be awesome but super expensive, too. Why do they stop SkyTrain at night? I thought they DIDN'T want us to drink and drive?

If you want to make everything user pay by all means go ahead and toll all the roads. But while your at it start charging the full cost of the bus instead of sucking away my gas taxes and property taxes.

The reason I am pissed is that paying for the bridge is just going to add to costs it's not going to fix my commute and I already pay a LOT in gas taxes and property taxes that goes towards providing transit for everywhere but the region I live in.....

I'm glad Abbotsford doesn't fall into the GVRD or MetroVancouver or whatever they're calling it now. I don't take the bus much but I know people who do. In Abbotsford, it costs $2 to ride the bus and they give you a 3 hour transfer window. Reasonable.

What's an average TransLink bus ticket cost? So often, it's cheaper to drive and quicker, too. People will pay the toll because they will get to work faster.

To stop people from bridge swapo g to save the tolls, we should instead if tolling the port Mann 3 bucks we should toll every bridge 50cents. We'd generate more income and the tolls would pay for future maintenance costs and would stop people from bottling up surrey or other bridges by trying to avoid the toll

To stop people from bridge swapo g to save the tolls, we should instead if tolling the port Mann 3 bucks we should toll every bridge 50cents. We'd generate more income and the tolls would pay for future maintenance costs and would stop people from bottling up surrey or other bridges by trying to avoid the toll

Absolutely!...but you can't toll existing infrastructure. The electorate would grumble and gather it's pitchforks.

As such you'd have to offer improvements. Which would be relatively easy to do. For instance the Alex Fraser could have a proper interchange put in at 72 Ave/Hwy 91...

Sounds like a lot of whining. We have all been using these highways for 'free' for decades. Time to pay up.

But you whine cause there's no transit south of the fraser, but cheer at the idea of the sfpr, port mann expansion, highway 1 expansion, etc... You choose to live in places like White Rock and work in places like Burnaby and then whine that you have to drive?

Sounds like a lot of whining. We have all been using these highways for 'free' for decades. Time to pay up.

But you whine cause there's no transit south of the fraser, but cheer at the idea of the sfpr, port mann expansion, highway 1 expansion, etc... You choose to live in places like White Rock and work in places like Burnaby and then whine that you have to drive?

I pay more than my share of taxes it's hardly been free to do anything especially driving....

I suppose I could simply replace my girlfriend and find one that works on the same side of the river as me. Regardless of where we live someone has to cross the bloody river. But that's what rediculous planners like you put it down to someone making a bad choice of where to live. Well, it's not like there's enough places to live and work north of the river for everyone in the region! SOME people need to live on the south side because there's simply not enough places to live on the other side of the river. It's simple reality. Unless were prepared to bulldoze the valley and turn it into farmland while simutaneously building enough housing for a million or so people on the Burrard Peninsula it's assinine to say it's a simply "choice" to live on spot or another.

And it's not whining that I have to drive, it's frustration over paying taxes that are only going to increase for services that are only going to get worse with no hope of it improving. There's been conceptual plans to but in a rapid bus service on King George for a freaking decade. If they never actually plan on buidling it why tease me only to take it away and then toll my alternative? Don't you think that would piss you off too?

What region is that? Certainly not New West which is going to have toll dodgers using the Putello or Queensburough bridges (and the routes to those are already a disaster) clogging up their streets far worse than they already now, as frightening a prospect it must be for residents of that city. Certainly not for North Delta which already worries about half of Surrey cutting across it to get to the Alex Fraser.

And most certainly not for those who's only option is to drive that can now look forward to an extra 1500 or so a year in expenses so they can get from Surrey to Coquitlam while in the meantime people can commute in from Mission for free if they choose. Why is it the already transit starved and overtaxed south of fraser residents get a free pass while the equally sprawling people in Maple ridge get a free pass and a commuter rail line?

Yes 'free' was in quotes for a reason. Of course where you live is a choice, no one is forcing you to live where you are now....you can live anywhere you want. MLS has listings for all types of housing all over the region, you can also rent across the region.

Planners like me can make all the plans in the world, if other powers come and build highways contrary to good planning--well, not much we can do about that. Expanding highways flies in the face of good planning, but thanks to the Libs, the south of fraser is locked into suburban crap for decades. Your bus down KGB, skytrain to Langley, etc---that money is in these new highways. Whose fault is that?

Archived