231 replies to this topic

#121 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,545 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:59 PM

You go on and on about this war vs the north and pulling out of translink/metro vancouver and starting your own little country. That's fun to pretend, but it is totally unrealistic, I have no idea why you keep going on about it...

That's funny, SOTF mayors keep having meetings about doing EXACTLY that...are they too being "unrealistic"?
"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted Image

#122 inane

inane

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,426 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:02 PM

I love how you mention the Evergreen line like it's a bothersome fly on your shoulder rather than the multi-ton elephant squatting on your chest it is :lol:

I'm sure Ron can comment more accurately as to precisely what changes there are but I'd say the Canada and Evergreen lines are certainly not small potatoes. Is there anything even remotely of the scale of even one of those projects planned for SOTF?

Also, newsflash... there's an increase in frequency/service hours EVERYWHERE this week. It's called back to school.

Similar to how you seem to be ignoring the multi billion dollar highway expansion? I know you want to pretend those are two totally different things, but they aren't.

And it's not like everyone notf is going to use this line in Coquitlam. I know I will likely never use it, but I'm not whining about it.

#123 inane

inane

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,426 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:03 PM

That's funny, SOTF mayors keep having meetings about doing EXACTLY that...are they too being "unrealistic"?

Source for these continual meetings?

#124 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,545 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:06 PM

Similar to how you seem to be ignoring the multi billion dollar highway expansion? I know you want to pretend those are two totally different things, but they aren't.

And it's not like everyone notf is going to use this line in Coquitlam. I know I will likely never use it, but I'm not whining about it.

I'm not ignoring multi-billion dollar highway expansion. A great deal of which has been...*gasp* on the NORTH side of the Fraser!
"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted Image

#125 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,545 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:08 PM

Source for these continual meetings?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q... mayors transit
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted Image

#126 inane

inane

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,426 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:10 PM

http://lmgtfy.com/?q... mayors transit

Hmm, Iinks from your clever little post lead to posts about transit expansion and a blog post from citycaucus commenting on how separation is a dumb idea. Right, way to prove your point?

#127 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,545 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:12 PM

Perhaps dig a bit deeper ;)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted Image

#128 inane

inane

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,426 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:17 PM

Sorry, I'm not going to do your work for you. If you have records of regular meetings, please share. If not, well....

#129 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,545 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:29 PM

Nor am I for you. If you want to bury your head on the mater, well...
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted Image

#130 inane

inane

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,426 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:44 PM

Nor am I for you. If you want to bury your head on the mater, well...

lol. I can do the same thing.

I say that the mayors have been having meetings to talk about founding the empire of White Rock and annexing Blaine while arming the peace arch with lasers.

You go find the proof that I'm full of crape or just keep burying your head in the sand...

#131 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,710 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:49 PM

Actually yes, other than the line to coquitlam, what expansion notf is there? I'm also sure you're well aware of all the increases in frequency and service hours sotf that started this week... right?

http://www.vancouver...8745/story.html

And you can't untangle transit from cars. You can try if it makes you feel better.

Or right from your article something I already looked up in anticipation only to be disapointed...

TransLink has also increased bus service hours and frequency on routes south of the Fraser and those serving post-secondary institutions. Starting Tuesday, buses running between White Rock and King George Station in Surrey, for instance, will run every 20 minutes instead of every half-hour, while there will also be more frequent bus service along Fraser Highway between King George Station and Langley

Oh boy! The supplemental milk run bus to the milk run bus now comes every 20 minutes in the morning instead of on the half hour!

As it turns out I can get a ride to sktryain in the morning but even that does me no good since I then have a milk run bus ride back south that takes well over an hour though it does have some confusing additional milk run buses tossed in.

How about cancel the additional buses or at least consider running the EXPRESS!!!!!!!!

And while were at it do it every ten mins at least during both rush hours!!!!!!!

#132 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,545 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:54 PM

lol. I can do the same thing.

I say that the mayors have been having meetings to talk about founding the empire of White Rock and annexing Blaine while arming the peace arch with lasers.

You go find the proof that I'm full of crape or just keep burying your head in the sand...

Yeah except the LMGTFY link I posted actually has numerous references to SOTF mayors meeting to discuss transit. Not that you're being willfully obtuse... :rolleyes:
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted Image

#133 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,710 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:54 PM

You go on and on about this war vs the north and pulling out of translink/metro vancouver and starting your own little country. That's fun to pretend, but it is totally unrealistic, I have no idea why you keep going on about it...

The same reason a lot of Albertans complain about Quebec, the one way flow of tax dollars.

#134 inane

inane

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,426 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:57 PM

Yeah except the LMGTFY link I posted actually has numerous references to SOTF mayors meeting to discuss transit. Not that you're being willfully obtuse... :rolleyes:

You said they regularly meet. So prove it. You made the claim, you back it up. Otherwise i'm calling bs.

#135 inane

inane

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,426 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:57 PM

The same reason a lot of Albertans complain about Quebec, the one way flow of tax dollars.

I guess I think your energies would be better spent fighting a different fight. But if you want to shout at the moon, go ahead.

#136 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,710 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:58 PM

Of course not everyone will. Mind you, they also have the Canada, Millenium, and Expo lines along with serveral rapid bus services and the West Coast Express.

Now granted I have decent transit service to downtown which would be a great model of the commute patterns 30 years ago when everything was to downtown rather than node to node. What's the point of developing community town centres (I do live in a dense neighbourhood after all) if we can't even get rapid bus connections between them?

#137 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,710 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:02 PM

I guess I think your energies would be better spent fighting a different fight. But if you want to shout at the moon, go ahead.

Shout at the moon? Nope.

Have a rational conversation with the mayor and explain why the business case for translink will always be to tax our community while not providing any hope of service improvements? You bet! Give him some excellent ideas of what to let the mayor of delta know about how the Port Mann bridge is going to gridlock his community? Perhaps if he is interested.

There's no reason to keep contributing to a system that only wants to apply sticks in the form of taxes to alter our behaviour but refuses to provide carrots in the form of alternatives.

#138 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,545 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:04 PM

You said they regularly meet. So prove it. You made the claim, you back it up. Otherwise i'm calling bs.

There's two links on the first page mentioning a meeting in April and another in June. Seriously man...what is wrong with you?...lol
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted Image

#139 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,545 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:05 PM

Shout at the moon? Nope.

Have a rational conversation with the mayor and explain why the business case for translink will always be to tax our community while not providing any hope of service improvements? You bet! Give him some excellent ideas of what to let the mayor of delta know about how the Port Mann bridge is going to gridlock his community? Perhaps if he is interested.

There's no reason to keep contributing to a system that only wants to apply sticks in the form of taxes to alter our behaviour but refuses to provide carrots in the form of alternatives.

*her ;)

Edited by J.R., 05 September 2012 - 04:05 PM.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted Image

#140 inane

inane

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,426 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:09 PM

There's two links on the first page mentioning a meeting in April and another in June. Seriously man...what is wrong with you?...lol

If a link to regular meetings is so apparent, give me the link. Sorry, not interested in playing 'I'm saying something but you have to go prove my point for me'.

#141 inane

inane

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,426 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:10 PM

Shout at the moon? Nope.

Hey, I agree, the alternatives are lacking. I support transit in your area. I just don't think pitching a fit and threatening to leave the region is going to get you anywhere...

#142 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,545 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:14 PM

If a link to regular meetings is so apparent, give me the link. Sorry, not interested in playing 'I'm saying something but you have to go prove my point for me'.

I already posted a google search with "About 2,170,000 results (0.37 seconds)" for you. Perhaps you should change your username to "Obtuse"?
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted Image

#143 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,710 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:16 PM

Hey, I agree, the alternatives are lacking. I support transit in your area. I just don't think pitching a fit and threatening to leave the region is going to get you anywhere...

It's not a threat I dont' think that any amount of whining, reasoning, shouting, threatening, pleading, begging, extolling, or any other form of logic, threat, or manipulation will ever result in translink doing any sort of meaningful transit expansion south of the fraser. There's always going to be a better business case north of the river and there will always be more drivers to punish south of the river under our current arrangement.

That's why the southern municipalities should just leave translink. If we have to leave the GVRD as a whole to do so so be it.

#144 inane

inane

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,426 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:18 PM

I already posted a google search with "About 2,170,000 results (0.37 seconds)" for you. Perhaps you should change your username to "Obtuse"?

So you want me to drift through 2,170,000 webpages to find the evidence for the fact you're trying to argue?

If what you said is true, prove it. Otherwise, bs.

#145 inane

inane

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,426 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:19 PM

It's not a threat I dont' think that any amount of whining, reasoning, shouting, threatening, pleading, begging, extolling, or any other form of logic, threat, or manipulation will ever result in translink doing any sort of meaningful transit expansion south of the fraser. There's always going to be a better business case north of the river and there will always be more drivers to punish south of the river under our current arrangement.

That's why the southern municipalities should just leave translink. If we have to leave the GVRD as a whole to do so so be it.

I look forward to reminding you of this when they run transit through Surrey/Langley/etc.

#146 silverpig

silverpig

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,404 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:19 PM

Or right from your article something I already looked up in anticipation only to be disapointed...

Oh boy! The supplemental milk run bus to the milk run bus now comes every 20 minutes in the morning instead of on the half hour!

As it turns out I can get a ride to sktryain in the morning but even that does me no good since I then have a milk run bus ride back south that takes well over an hour though it does have some confusing additional milk run buses tossed in.

How about cancel the additional buses or at least consider running the EXPRESS!!!!!!!!

And while were at it do it every ten mins at least during both rush hours!!!!!!!

You don't put an express bus through this. Zero freaking density for several km of road.
Moo

#147 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,545 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:25 PM

I'm sure you could find something in the first 100 or so ;)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted Image

#148 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,710 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:26 PM

I look forward to reminding you of this when they run transit through Surrey/Langley/etc.

If I am still alive at this point I will be MORE than happy to be wrong.

Edit: If history is any guide we can add at least ten years onto any ideas that might come up out of translink - pending additional funding of course.

Edited by ronthecivil, 05 September 2012 - 04:31 PM.

#149 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,710 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:30 PM

You don't put an express bus through this. Zero freaking density for several km of road.

No, you just don't STOP it there.

There's all kinds of density on either side of that belt of ALR. Should we not run express buses to UBC because it runs through the extremely non dense Pacific Spirit Park? :picard:

#150 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,545 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:33 PM

No, you just don't STOP it there.

There's all kinds of density on either side of that belt of ALR. Should we not run express buses to UBC because it runs through the extremely non dense Pacific Spirit Park? :picard:

Beat me to it... :lol:

http://maps.google.c...ed=0CIYBEPwSMAs
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.