92 replies to this topic

#61 Burnsey

Burnsey

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,803 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:51 PM

Great Honour, although if I was him I personal would reject it. A Captain at the age of 19 is too young. I think you should be playing in the NHL for at least 3 years -> and that better be an amazing 3 years for you to even get mentioned/nominated for the 'C'.

All well, he may be better in the locker room then we may think. I do hope the best for him and hopefully he'll help make the Av's a better team so the Canucks can some competition in the NW.

team-canada-jarome-iginla-photo.jpg

#62 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,359 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:20 PM

They named him captain for their future. They saw that he was going to be the leader of this team at some point. Better to give it to him now rather than to strip it away from whoever else they could have given it to a couple years down the road. The kid is great and shows leadership when on the ice. He directs teammates and controls the flow. Statsny and Duchene do not do this. This is not a slap in the face to Statsny. There may be reasons why he didnt get it that we dont know. Maybe he declined the offer and Landeskog was next in line. Maybe he is not a leader at all. Maybe he wants out of COL. Whatever the reason may be, Landeskog is a good choice and will be a great player and leader for the next decade or two for the Avs.

Edit: I just wish he was a Canuck for the next decade or two lol....

This........anyone who has watched Landeskog play and heard him speak knows he has "IT", that special quality that all the best captains have.

Is he ready now? Who knows for sure? But there is nothing to indicate he is not. Plus I give credit to the Avs for making a clear statement about the team they want to be going forward and who they want to build around.

#63 Drij

Drij

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:36 PM

A lot of people here know nothing about Colorado.

Captain material, but he's 19 and isn't that incredible a player. Not sure I like this move at this point in time, but Landeskog is still a stud so it could work out. I just think it's too much pressure, they should let him develop more before throwing this at him...there's plenty of guys more experienced than him on that team who could wear the C with respect.

Putting up the most points on the team doesn't make you a good captain.

i thought matt duchene would have gotten the nod before landeskog but oh well.
i guess management though landeskog would be a better choice

While Duchene has lots of skills he is still inmurture and is not captain material.

Stastny's been a 20 goal scorer 5 out the 6 years he's played for COL. The one year he wasn't, was due to injuries that forced him to miss half the season.

Statsny's older, more experienced and the go-to offencive player on the team. He's earned his stripes, and wasn't handed them, unlike Landeskog.

Being older and more experienced doesn't make you the best leader on the team. Hejduk is and that didn't make him a great captain. Also being the go to guy doesn't mean you deserve to be the captain.

Stastny is a great player don't get me wrong, but he's second line centre now behind Duchene - not their go to offensive guy any more.

Stastny is still the number 1 guy in Colorado. Duchene hasn't shown he is ready to be that guy yet.

#64 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:40 PM

guy is a freaking beast

landeskog>>>>nugent hopkins
Posted Image

#65 Alex Burrows 14

Alex Burrows 14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:47 PM

i was so hoping we could have drafted him! he is and will be a beast
Posted Image

#66 greetingsfrombrazil

greetingsfrombrazil

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:55 PM

Didn't expect that, but good move by Colorado. A good leader doesn't need to be old, it's just a natural thing, and I think Landeskog has what it takes to be a great captain.

#67 Nathan MacKinnon

Nathan MacKinnon

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,242 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:06 PM

Avalanche :picard: Not that Landeskog is a bad choice but I honestly feel Duchene could have been the captain..or even Paul Stastny

+1 this post!

Posted Image

Credit to Intoewsables :wub: :wub: :wub:

Formerly known as UMADBRO?

Luongo Supporter. Does not deserve any of this BS

#68 coleman26

coleman26

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:12 PM

Eh. I agree they could have but if Lands is their long term captain, they can't put it on Stats or Duch. Otherwise, there's a controversy when they're asked to remove it, and the only times I can remember a player losing his C and staying on a team, off memory, is... Luongo, Marleau and Lecavlier, and their times haven't exactly been pleasant. You're giving it to him early, but it means never having to ask Duchene to remove it.

#69 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,376 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:13 PM

So what? Your saying a guy who scores more should automatically be handed the captaincy? LOL! Stats don't mean sh!t when you're picking a captain of a team but if you think it means so much, let this stat tell you how much of a captain Stastny "earned" to be: past year, 79 games played ~ 53 points, -8 rating. Landeskog: 82 games played ~ 52 points, +20 rating.  Funny how one stat can tell you so much about a players habits on the ice, especially considering they play on the same too. In your case, Horcoff should be captain of Oilers too with his -20 something rating....he's been with the team, older, and has more experience and he is a go to offensive guy on the team - give me a break.

Concluding, Landeskog is waayyyy more deserving to be captain than Stastny and to think he shouldn't cause of stats is ridiculous, thus giving you zero credibility in your argument.

Love this post, the poster say's "stats don't mean sh!t" to argue against one player then goes on to argue his point for another player usiing stats. Classic CDC.
"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

#70 Pyrene

Pyrene

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:32 PM

Hmm.. a mature second overall pick that is bestowed captaincy very early on in his career...I'm pretty sure CDC would understand more than anyone else.

#71 Patrick Kane

Patrick Kane

Canucks Franchise Player

• Assistant to Regional Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,138 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:02 PM

Duchene and Stastny as captains?

I'd give the C to Erik Johnson or Ryan O'Reilly over those two...

Landeskog is the best choice, may as well give it to him now, rather then 2-3 years down the road. He would probably not get it for a while if Duchene had the C, as those two will be Avs for a long time.

You will be missed.

#72 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,217 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:30 PM

I've heard he's a leader type guy, but I would've gone with Stastny. At least for a while. Just give Landeskog the 'A' first, then after a few more years give him the 'C'.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#73 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:51 PM

You clearly haven't seen this kid play, talk, or see his leadership qualities if your hating on him for no reason...go back under your bridge.

You clearly have no idea what I know and don't know.

You're clearly a fan-boy who thinks that hearing a 19 year old speak in interviews and play 1 season as an NHL player is sufficient to leading a professional sports franchise. You don't have a clue about what I actually think about him as a young man or a young player.

Go back to class, recess was over awhile ago.

So what? Your saying a guy who scores more should automatically be handed the captaincy? LOL! Stats don't mean sh!t when you're picking a captain of a team but if you think it means so much, let this stat tell you how much of a captain Stastny "earned" to be: past year, 79 games played ~ 53 points, -8 rating. Landeskog: 82 games played ~ 52 points, +20 rating. Funny how one stat can tell you so much about a players habits on the ice, especially considering they play on the same too. In your case, Horcoff should be captain of Oilers too with his -20 something rating....he's been with the team, older, and has more experience and he is a go to offensive guy on the team - give me a break.

No, i'm saying that a player who has shown more consistency in his production than any other Avalanche player in the last 5 years and therefore one of the key leaders on the ice, is worthy of being captain, as he's not only a point producer but also is an experienced veteran....the type of player that best leads.....in comparison to a player entering his sophomore year, who only has one year under his belt, and is untested as a leader at the NHL level.

So stats don't mean $h!t, yet you try to make an argument using stats?? Allow me to quote you...."LOL".

And wtf are you talking about?? Shawn Horcoff IS the captain of the Oilers. :picard:

Edited by Sharpshooter, 04 September 2012 - 05:16 PM.

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#74 Psycho_Path

Psycho_Path

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,710 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:55 PM

I'm surprised they didn't pick O'Reilly as well
Posted Image

#75 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:57 PM

Being older and more experienced doesn't make you the best leader on the team. Hejduk is and that didn't make him a great captain. Also being the go to guy doesn't mean you deserve to be the captain.

Age and experience is what makes the best leader of men more often than not.

Hejduk was named captain precisely because he was older and more experienced. He relinquished his captaincy. He's 36 years old now and on a one year contract. He pending retirement obviously was a factor in why he chose to pass the torch.

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#76 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,852 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:59 PM

Hmm.. a mature second overall pick that is bestowed captaincy very early on in his career...I'm pretty sure CDC would understand more than anyone else.

Bingo! Trevor had just turned 20 when he was named captain of the Canucks. Of course, he co-captained the team in his first season as the team's leader. Landeskog turns 20 in just over two months.

Posted Image

An interview with Gabriel Landeskog this past February:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlXzwwI94os

Edited by WeatherWise, 04 September 2012 - 05:15 PM.

The greatest segue into a weather segment.

#77 Ashleigh

Ashleigh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:20 PM

Posted Image

#78 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:22 PM

He doesn't take crap from anyone. Imagine the Sedins (no disrespect intended) had that same edge?

#79 Argon

Argon

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:24 PM

bad idea imo. if Hejduk wanted out of it so bad, they should have gone captainless for at least a year. 19 is way too young for someone who isn't a Crosby or Yzerman. even Crosby getting the captainship so fast I wasn't a big fan of. players should have played 3+ years in the league before becoming a captain
Posted Image

Yo Yo you cant see me anyway what i dont need to writing skills to act cool i got froobacks and steel chains to act cool i lead the new school. Iam untochable this wont be a fight ill walk away with your mic and make you suck your own tailpipe

#80 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:26 PM

Early on?...yes

Just after their rookie season? No.

Which Canuck player became the sole captain of the Canucks after only 1 year of NHL experience under their belt?

Bingo! Trevor had just turned 20 when he was named captain of the Canucks. Of course, he co-captained the team in his first season as the team's leader. Landeskog turns 20 in just over two months.

An interview with Gabriel Landeskog this past February:

Linden was 20 when he was named part of the Tri-Captains, with Lidster and Quinn. He was 21, and into his 4th season when he took over sole captaincy of the Canucks.....bit of a difference with Linden than with Landeskog.

Edited by Sharpshooter, 04 September 2012 - 05:28 PM.

#81 The Sedin's 6th Sense

The Sedin's 6th Sense

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:58 PM

You clearly have no idea what I know and don't know.

You're clearly a fan-boy who thinks that hearing a 19 year old speak in interviews and play 1 season as an NHL player is sufficient to leading a professional sports franchise. You don't have a clue about what I actually think about him as a young man or a young player.

Go back to class, recess was over awhile ago.

No, i'm saying that a player who has shown more consistency in his production than any other Avalanche player in the last 5 years and therefore one of the key leaders on the ice, is worthy of being captain, as he's not only a point producer but also is an experienced veteran....the type of player that best leads.....in comparison to a player entering his sophomore year, who only has one year under his belt, and is untested as a leader at the NHL level.

So stats don't mean $h!t, yet you try to make an argument using stats?? Allow me to quote you...."LOL".

And wtf are you talking about?? Shawn Horcoff IS the captain of the Oilers. :picard:

You must know more about Landeskog than the Avalanche organization, and if there's a young player, it doesn't mean he can't be a leader just cause of his age.

No, you did say stats matter.

If you read my post properly, you would know I stated those facts because:

but if you think it means so much ,let this stat tell you how much of a captain Stastny "earned" to be

/ I was proving a point and making fun of your idea at the same time.

And yea, I know he is - seems like its been working for the Oilers eh? Oh Nevermind, maybe give it to a guy who is actually a leader and not just a point producer next time / sarcasm.

Posted Image

"You know what my favourite Super Bowl is? The next one."

- Tom Brady

#82 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:09 PM

Duchene and Stastny as captains?

I'd give the C to Erik Johnson or Ryan O'Reilly over those two...

Landeskog is the best choice, may as well give it to him now, rather then 2-3 years down the road. He would probably not get it for a while if Duchene had the C, as those two will be Avs for a long time.

100% agree with this.
Colorado is blessed to have 4 or 5 players all have the qualities one would want from a captain, Landeskogs leadership abilities are just more prominent than the others, and that is saying a lot.

Edited by Jagermeister, 04 September 2012 - 06:12 PM.

Posted Image

#83 hockeyfan87

hockeyfan87

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:20 PM

Landeskog is an amazing player. I'm happy to have him as a keeper in my hockey pool. I had NHL center ice last year and watched many of his games. Even when Malkin stick handled between his legs and scored.

All of that being said I don't think a 19 year old is ever ready to be captain of a NHL team no matter how much skill and talent they possess. People pointing to Linden as an example of a success suffer from confirmation bias. How well did Lecavalier do as a 19 year old captain in 2000?

I'm not saying he will or won't be a successful captain I just don't believe giving him that responsibility at the age of 19 is a smart thing to do. He's still adjusting to being a NHL player. He hasn't even played in every city on the road yet.

I'm 25 years old and I"m sure if I asked the 19 year old me whether or not it was a good idea I'd be singing a completely different tune. The fact is age and experience do matter. It's why the Islanders still beat the Oilers for the Cup in the early 80s even when the Oilers possessed superior skill. Gretzky said so himself.

I'm sure the Avalanche organization considered all the ramifications though and thought this was the best move. Maybe they have different considerations that we aren't aware of.

#84 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:21 PM

You must know more about Landeskog than the Avalanche organization, and if there's a young player, it doesn't mean he can't be a leader just cause of his age.

I never said I know more than the Avalanche organization when it comes to Landeskog specifically. That's your assertion because you don't have an actual argument to make so you use childish ones like that one, as if I had actually said that.

I also never said that a young player couldn't lead or never has led either. Try paying attention to what i've actually said.

No, you did say stats matter.

If you read my post properly, you would know I stated those facts because:

/ I was proving a point and making fun of your idea at the same time.

No, you were making a point about Landeskog's better +/- stat as a comparison to Stastny, based on the fact that I used that stat of Goals scored. You weren't making fun of it, you were trying to flip the argument back at me, and failed... comedically and in your attempt to equate goal scoring consistency to one year's worth of +/- statistics.

And yea, I know he is - seems like its been working for the Oilers eh? Oh Nevermind, maybe give it to a guy who is actually a leader and not just a point producer next time / sarcasm.

When Horcoff was named captain, he was not only a veteran of 8 years for the Oilers, but he was consistently in the top 3 in team scoring for 4 years before being named captain. Landeskog hasn't even come close to achieving what Horcoff has in his career before being named captain of a NHL team.

He was a leader on and off the ice and a good choice at the time.

#85 shiznak

shiznak

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,233 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:23 PM

Statsny would have been the better choice, he was pegged to take over the captaincy once Sakic retired.

30m4j6v.png

#86 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:24 PM

Landeskog is an amazing player. I'm happy to have him as a keeper in my hockey pool. I had NHL center ice last year and watched many of his games. Even when Malkin stick handled between his legs and scored.

All of that being said I don't think a 19 year old is ever ready to be captain of a NHL team no matter how much skill and talent they possess. People pointing to Linden as an example of a success suffer from confirmation bias. How well did Lecavalier do as a 19 year old captain in 2000?

I'm not saying he will or won't be a successful captain I just don't believe giving him that responsibility at the age of 19 is a smart thing to do. He's still adjusting to being a NHL player. He hasn't even played in every city on the road yet.

I'm 25 years old and I"m sure if I asked the 19 year old me whether or not it was a good idea I'd be singing a completely different tune. The fact is age and experience do matter. It's why the Islanders still beat the Oilers for the Cup in the early 80s even when the Oilers possessed superior skill. Gretzky said so himself.

I'm sure the Avalanche organization considered all the ramifications though and thought this was the best move. Maybe they have different considerations that we aren't aware of.

Good post. You seem to get 'it'.

I'm sure the Avalanche had good reasons as well. It's not a bad decision if you're trying to sell something new and fresh in that market. However, it's not, in my opinion, a great 'hockey' decision, even if it's a sound marketing one.

It makes sense from that perspective, so i'll give them that.

#87 light_kun

light_kun

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:02 PM

Other young captains that became stars in the league before the age of 22 include Crosby, Lecavlier, Toews and Yzerman. Hopefully Landeskog can join them.

#88 Rounoush

Rounoush

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:34 PM

Good move by the Avs. He'll make an excellent captain.
Posted Image
Thanks a bunch to khalifawiz501 for the signature.

#89 VanNuck

VanNuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:25 PM

Statsny should have been captain. He's after all their best player, mentored by Sakic himself- I'm actually surprised that Hejduck, instead of Stats took over from Foote.

Well Landeskog will eventually be a force with the team. No secret Colorado was sold on him.

#90 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,541 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:58 AM

Unlike a lot of people, I find this to be a terrific move by the Avs. They have a youth movement going, so their next captain was going to be someone young.

Looking back, the Hawks could have made Toews captain in his rookie season and it wouldn't have changed anything. Some players just have "it." An old university friend of mine was able to formally interview and informally hang out with a large percentage of the players at the awards this last year. Among a few of the standouts, he mentioned afterwards that he would not be surprised if Landeskog was named the future captain of the team in the next year or so. 2 months later, look what happened.
Kinda hot in these rhinos.

You are a worse psychiatrist than you are a son in law, and you will never get work as an actor because you have no talent.

[http://media3.giphy....Cl8Y/giphy.gif]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.