The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gabriel Landeskog Named Captain

Avicii

Youngest captain in NHL history and he deserves every bit of it.

In the 11' draft, I just loved this guy when all the draft talk was happening, I said he should be 1st overall when RNH was penciled in at #1. Oilers drafted RNH and Landeskog is a much better player; at his very young range, he is a top 5 power forward in the league already and he's a monster on the ice. Very mature, very Canadian (I consider him a Canadian), is a great leader as you see, a character guy, and he's a guy who anyone can talk to when in need. Love the guy so much, and so happy to see he's the youngest captain ever! Wish him the best of luck - hope he raises the Cup someday :)

They named him captain for their future. They saw that he was going to be the leader of this team at some point. Better to give it to him now rather than to strip it away from whoever else they could have given it to a couple years down the road. The kid is great and shows leadership when on the ice. He directs teammates and controls the flow. Statsny and Duchene do not do this. This is not a slap in the face to Statsny. There may be reasons why he didnt get it that we dont know. Maybe he declined the offer and Landeskog was next in line. Maybe he is not a leader at all. Maybe he wants out of COL. Whatever the reason may be, Landeskog is a good choice and will be a great player and leader for the next decade or two for the Avs.

Edit: I just wish he was a Canuck for the next decade or two lol....

Way too early, IMHO, but the alternative of giving Statsny or Duchene the C just to strip them and put it on Gabe in 3 years is worse. I'm sure they talked about and were made aware that the long term plan was Captain Gabe, and they're probably cool knowing that it saves them from having to be stripped and/or traded down the road.

That being said, it's really silly that Duke wouldn't wear it out for this year just to give Gabe another year so this doesn't seem so silly. So, I understand overlooking Statsny and Duchene, but I don't understand what the benefit of Duke giving it up is. I'd have bought him a new car just to wear the C one more year.

To everyone arguing that statsny scores more so he should be captain:

Here the captain and top scorer

Dustin Brown : Anze Kopitar

Vincent Lecalvier : Steven Stamkos

Shane Doan : Ray Whitney

Brendan Morrow : Loui Eriksson

The captain isnt always your top scorer

You guys have to understand this isn't for one season. This is the Avs making a decision for their future and the direction they go. It states that Landeskog is their untouchable and who they will build around. There were rumors stastny was going to be dealt last season. Duchene doesn't seem to be captain material. I like the decision and I really like the player.

Archived