The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks interested in Shea Weber

Rather have Edler + depth/prospects then just Weber. Soon the Sedins aren't going to be first line players, and then soon they'll be retired. We need to keep our prospects now. Do you guys really want to be like Calgary with no future?

We have Garrison, and our defense is set. No need to go overpaying for a player.

Why?

Trade our three best prospects and two more future prospects plus a solid third liner and an all star defenseman for another all star defenseman? hes good, but not that good.

I would do edler, hansen and a first MAYBE two firsts max. No way i would add lack, gaunce and jensen

Even if Nashville would be interested in trading Weber (which I can't see), the asking price would be rediculous, bordering on offensive.

We have a solid core of players that would have to be torn apart to accomidate a trade as they would be part of the deal. One thing Gillis won't do is mess with the heart of our team. If he could deal spare parts, prospects and picks, I could see it, but Nashville wouldn't go for it.

Nope, in the end I don't see Weber ever coming to Vancity.

Edler and Weber are identical in ways:

Edler is one year younger and can put up the same points as Weber.

Weber is 6'4 234lbs whereas Edler is 6'3 215lbs

Edler still needs to work on his defensive game whereas Weber is solid defensively.

So yes, Weber is the better defensmen, but what happens if next season Edler has a better offensive season than Weber, and improves his defensive game enough to match up to Weber? Will you still want to trade for an over-payed defenseman of the same calibre? Or keep a similar offensive defenseman in Edler at what will probably be a bargain in the long run of 5-6m a year?

Edler and Weber are identical in ways:

Edler is one year younger and can put up the same points as Weber.

Weber is 6'4 234lbs whereas Edler is 6'3 215lbs

Edler still needs to work on his defensive game whereas Weber is solid defensively.

So yes, Weber is the better defensmen, but what happens if next season Edler has a better offensive season than Weber, and improves his defensive game enough to match up to Weber? Will you still want to trade for an over-payed defenseman of the same calibre? Or keep a similar offensive defenseman in Edler at what will probably be a bargain in the long run of 5-6m a year?

Even if Nashville would be interested in trading Weber (which I can't see), the asking price would be rediculous, bordering on offensive.

We have a solid core of players that would have to be torn apart to accomidate a trade as they would be part of the deal. One thing Gillis won't do is mess with the heart of our team. If he could deal spare parts, prospects and picks, I could see it, but Nashville wouldn't go for it.

Nope, in the end I don't see Weber ever coming to Vancity.

Pretty much. Edler has one year to prove himself as a consistent force on the Canucks defensive corps. My main gripe with Edler has been the lack of consistency. Some games he crushes anyone not in a Canucks jersey remotely close to blueine, some games he literally watches as we get scored on.

Weber ain't perfect either. Kesler proved that during the series against Nashville. However Weber is much more consistent, and moreso he adds something that I don't know if Edler can. Deterrence. When Weber is on the ice, there are very little liberties taken against his teammates. The same cannot be said for Edler. Can it?

The one piece of the puzzle the Canucks lack is an alpha defenseman. Sure Bieksa will stand up for his team, but his size prevents him from taking on the Lucics and Otts of the league.

Both Edler and Weber are amongst the best offensively gifted d-men in the league. Weber, however, is a more complete defensman.

Also, Edler hasn't signed with the Canucks and may be looking at Weber's contract for inspiration.

Weber is due $13 million signing bonus + $1 mill salary this year and another $13 million bonus before he is eligible to be traded As per CBA.

NSH will not pay Weber $27 mill for 1 year of service and trade him. Any trade will happen after Weber has played at least 2 seasons with NSH.

After 2 seasons he will pbbly be traded but the price tag will be very high.

Brad Richards isn't the most dominant player at his position in the entire league. So yeah, wasn't worth it.

I'd probably try to keep Lack, Jensen, and Gaunce out of any trade, but a team like Nashville would want top prospects for giving up their captain, and top defensman. Edler, Lack, Jensen would be laughed at.

Archived