The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nokia Lumia 920 and Windows Phone 8

Jai604

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Nokia Lumia 920: how the new flagship compares with the competition

By Dieter Bohn on September 5, 2012 10:27 am email.v467274f.png Email larry.v328130b.png @backlon

359COMMENTS

Nokia_Lumia_920_-_Color_Range_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

With Windows Phone 8, Nokia finally has had its hands untied when it comes to pushing out modern specs on its hardware. The result is the Nokia Lumia 920, with a dual-core 1.5GHz processor, 32GB of device storage, and a 4.5-inch display. The Lumia 920 also includes wireless charging and "PureView" technology on its 8-megapixel camera. Add in some bright color options and you're looking at the main differentiators on the hardware side.

How does that stack up? The Galaxy S III, HTC One X each have options with LTE and the Qualcomm S4 Snapdragon dual-core processor, though they feature larger screens. They also come in a variety of different spec configurations, including quad-core processor options. Against those Android phones, the Lumia 920 essentially matches the top-tier of what's available on Android in all the important specs, unless you absolutely must have a super-sized screen, although Nokia is boasting that its 1280 x 768 PureMotion HD+ screen offers better quality. It beats them on battery life, thanks to both the 2,000mAh battery and the ability to quickly top off with wireless charging. Nokia is also claiming the image stabilization and other "PureView" improvements on the camera add up to a big differentiator.

If you absolutely must have a larger screen, Samsung's Ativ S might be more to your liking, but obviously you'll be waiting for either of two-announced flagship Windows Phone 8 devices to ship, so there's no need to make a hasty decision. Of course, compared to the iPhone 4S, the Lumia 920 wins from a pure-spec perspective, on screen-size and LTE speeds especially. That advantage will likely be very short-lived, however, as we're expecting the iPhone 5 to be announced on the 12th, just one short week away.

nokia-lumia-920-wireless-charging.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8_Z7_kJ3_g

What do you guys think? Opinions on the Lumia 920? On Windows Phone 8 itself?

Will you be waiting for the iPhone 5? More interested in the Samsung Galaxy S3? HTC One-X?

I'm really excited about this device, and as a current WP7 user, I'm stoked for WP8.

My contract on a first gen galaxy S is up soon and if I was upgrading now itd be a S III all the way as I have been a big Android fan but adding a actually competitive windows phone choice is a good thing for everybody. It and the i5 will have started shipping by the time I need to make a choice. Itll be fun.

I'm a huge Android fanboy (currently using galaxy nexus) and have been using the Nexus line since the original HTC phone, but the 920 and WP8 story is the first to pull me away from Android. With good specs and the whole phone -> xbox deal they have, it's going to be solid.

I'm a huge Android fanboy (currently using galaxy nexus) and have been using the Nexus line since the original HTC phone, but the 920 and WP8 story is the first to pull me away from Android. With good specs and the whole phone -> xbox deal they have, it's going to be solid.

Wireless charging? Nice.

Those look pretty awesome. I didn't vote in the poll because I can't exactly make an informed vote in the last one...my iPhone 4 is the only smartphone I've ever had...so...

I find it pretty interesting that phones seem to be getting bigger and bigger now, seemed like everyone was predicting the trend of smaller phones to continue not too long ago.

Wireless charging? Nice.

Those look pretty awesome. I didn't vote in the poll because I can't exactly make an informed vote in the last one...my iPhone 4 is the only smartphone I've ever had...so...

I find it pretty interesting that phones seem to be getting bigger and bigger now, seemed like everyone was predicting the trend of smaller phones to continue not too long ago.

Yeah, that will be a very nice little feature.

To be honest, I'm most excited about the Lumia's camera, and WP8.

Phones have gotten bigger because they are no longer just phones. For many people they're pretty much a pocket computer, which they use to organize their lives. We do so much on our phones it only makes sense the screens would be big.

i like it.

have the lumia 900, will try to upgrade if there's a way. nokia hardware are built well.

the OS is easy to use. I prefer my lumia 900 over iphone 4s (which I use when I'm in Canada).

4G LTE is superfast, download speeds over 20 mbps. I stream Nux games on it from a slingbox located in Vancouver.

Archived